What is your favorite wah in 2024?

• Thread starter soul_lip_mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should be able to change all the EQ and Q controls and such inside the Petrucci Wah. It is basically just a repackage of the Dunlop Rack Wah.
Speaking of, I saw one of the rack wahs at a Music Go Round this weekend. So frickin cool yet unnecessary, I want it lol

Shask

Reaction score
Speaking of, I saw one of the rack wahs at a Music Go Round this weekend. So frickin cool yet unnecessary, I want it lol
I wanted one years ago because I thought they were really cool. Totally expensive and unnecessary for madison square bedroom though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I own the Petrucci Wah and while i like it and does the Petrucci thingy perfectly I would buy today the Wylde Wah or the Bad Horsie Wah.

I feel that the Petrucci Wah has a huge swipe and it's too vocal. Kind of reminds of me of a Talk Box.
Man I thought the Wylde was sweep was too wide (250hz - 2.4khz) but JFC the Trooch was is 100hz - 3khz. That's way too intense lol

Then again I like darker wahs with a narrower sweep like the Hendrix wah or the lower sweeps on the 535q

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get a busted one for the shell, and buy a Jog Gagan Hot Rod Crybaby board. I've owned/played just about everything, and the Gagan is my favorite.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Get a busted one for the shell, and buy a Jog Gagan Hot Rod Crybaby board. I've owned/played just about everything, and the Gagan is my favorite.
Please educate me on what this means. Youre saying I can buy an old crybaby, rip the guts out and buy a separate board and put it in?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Please educate me on what this means. Youre saying I can buy an old crybaby, rip the guts out and buy a separate board and put it in?
Yep. Broken crybabies tend to go cheap. Also looks like you can use a Vox wah tool

EDIT: I found a video and it kinda sounds like the Hendrix wah.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Years later and I am still team Morley. I've always had issues with the switches in traditional wah pedals cutting out or popping/clicking when engaged/disengaged, always wanted a Morley because of it, and never looked back once I got one (Bad Horsie 2)
I've tried Morleys and I love the feel and travel of them, but could never find one that sounded right. The closest one I've found is the 20/20 Lead Wah but it's sweep is still a bit too bright for me.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep. Broken crybabies tend to go cheap. Also looks like you can use a Vox wah tool

EDIT: I found a video and it kinda sounds like the Hendrix wah.
Kinda, but better, IMO, and I think it handles high gain better. Plus he includes no-solder connections to change key resistors for voicing - and includes his favorite selection of resistors for it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kinda, but better, IMO, and I think it handles high gain better. Plus he includes no-solder connections to change key resistors for voicing - and includes his favorite selection of resistors for it.
It's a shame I'm spoiled by switch less wahs, because it does sound great even in the potato quality videos.

Shask

Reaction score
I did this also. Gutted an old Crybaby and used a Pedal PCB Tearjerker board. It is cool and tweakable. It has 4 or 5 pots, and I think 8 frequency switches.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I just like the standard voiced Crybaby. Do they make an auto return version? I had a 535Q a while back and could never dial it in the way I liked the standard. Still have 2 Behringer Hellbabes and I have the same problem with dialing in a sweep I like. I never hated Morleys, maybe I'll try a Bad Horsie. Think they made a mini one.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Own the Cantrel Was and I like it.
I play it just a few. Just with a strat in Marshall SL-5 for fun.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I still use an old ass Vox wah, because of Hendrix and Cream era Eric Clapton

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
I've only had the one wah, original Bad Horsie. Works for me. Only thing I've done is adjust the internal trim pot for instant switch on. That delay of it on and off used to annoy me, was very happy to find you can adjust it.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I meant to buy one of those Xotic was when they had a run of blue ones. Maybe they'll do another cool colour or I'll probably get an RMC.

yan12

Reaction score
Still rocking my Clyde Fulltone from 2002....great wah pedals.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
95Q here - I gigged for years with a Bad Horsie, loved it, couldn't get on with anything that wasn't switchless... fast forward a decade, I went through a Bad Horsie, DJ Ashba Skeleton Wah, Morley Classic, Morley Lead Wah, EHX Crying Tone (loved the sound, didn't like it not being switchless, and it moved everywhere when I used it)... ended up with a 95Q. Who'd have thought, the wah tone I'd been chasing was a Crybaby :D