What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
New guitar ordered, hopefully it's here early next week, not sure how long it takes from midwest to MA but I guess we'll find out!

Now I need to just trade in my baritone/cab as fucking no one is biting on them

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Those tuning pegs are, in fact, now on order. After that, maybe a nut replacement - I have what's probably a 20 year old graphtech nut in this guitar now, and either it's been binding a little, or my Fender locking tuners are shifting a little (which honestly is believable, they do feel like they have some play). So I might be addressing that next.

This strat plays like a whole new guitar though, after a refret to jumbos a few years back that I just re-leveled and re-crowned (the luthier did a rush job, I think - father and son team and the father unexpectedly died while my guitar was in their pipeline so it took them two years to get it back to me, and the tops were still visibly pretty flat when they did) and a new bridge that intonates perfectly while the old Gotoh Wilkinson was off for some reason. I'm so stoked.
Update on this - new tuners are installed, and they were nearly a drop-in installation; I had to drill a small hole for each tuner for the anchor screw, and the two "pin" holes for each tuner from the Fender design are still slightly visible from behind straight on or looking down at the headstock (though, not from playing position).

Tuning stability is better, the higher gear ratio makes fine tuning easier, and they look great. I *probably* still need the string trees, though one of these days I may just bypass them and tune it back up and see how things feel, since the stagger does help a lot, particularly for the B and E.

It's just exciting though, the guitar I've owned the longest and played the most, now feeling like a whole new guitar.

Shask

Reaction score
just ordered new gotoh tuners and a graphtec nut for this poor neglected GIO GRX20. I'll be ordering a trem bar once I can figure out what size threading it calls for, I think I'm just gonna have to go to the hardware store and try bolts in the trem block until one fits (unless someone has a smarter solution that isn't digital calipers).

Obviously this is highly personal, but the attraction for me is that when I have too many guitars, amps, dirt pedals etc to choose from I spend more time worrying about which combination of things sounds "best" and get way down the rabbit hole on that when what I really wanted to do was play riffs. I find I'm at my most creative when I have a smaller palette of choices I know intimately well. Also, limitation can be a source of creativity by forcing us to innovate within the boundaries of what we have rather than constantly trying to expand those boundaries beyond our ability to bump up against them. I can see how folks would find the latter approach more freeing, but I'm definitely not one of them. Even spotify stresses me out lol
I get stuck in these compare cycles also. Always trying to narrow down the best, by adding more combinations, lol. Trying new stuff is half the fun, but double the annoyance at times.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Update on this - new tuners are installed, and they were nearly a drop-in installation; I had to drill a small hole for each tuner for the anchor screw, and the two "pin" holes for each tuner from the Fender design are still slightly visible from behind straight on or looking down at the headstock (though, not from playing position).

Tuning stability is better, the higher gear ratio makes fine tuning easier, and they look great. I *probably* still need the string trees, though one of these days I may just bypass them and tune it back up and see how things feel, since the stagger does help a lot, particularly for the B and E.

It's just exciting though, the guitar I've owned the longest and played the most, now feeling like a whole new guitar.
Very nice! Always cool to hear of people that grab a guitar they've had forever and giving it new life and new love.

I plan on eventually doing the same with my first electric: an Ibby GRG170DX I've basically desecrated over the last 20 years. Under all other circumstances this guitar would absolutely NOT be worth upgrading, but it's a special guitar for me. I even got Vai to sign it well over a decade ago. It's got an EMG 81/60 set in there, but I really want to refret it with the largest stainless steel frets I can find, change the nut, locking tuners, and I want to see if I can somehow fit a Gotoh 510 2-pivot bridge in there.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I do confess I am bad with pedals though... I tend to buy them and barely use them and then sell them later when I want to pick up a new guitar or amp :lol: I really need to build a board or two to help with actually using some stuff I have on the pedal front. After I finish the outstanding amp builds I have around :lol:
I've gotten in the habit of making gifts of underused pedals. Not all of them obv because they're like expensive-ass legos, but if it's a musician friend's bday they're prob getting a pedal from me.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Just traded my Vypyr 60 for two LTD F-50s in the exact same color because, why not? 🤷‍♂️ :nuts: :lol:

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
I've got one of these on the way from Japan

nrx9z59bl2sxmle6ounr.webp

Pippo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ordered an Ibanez GRG131DX for my band yesterday. I feel more comfortable on stage with cheaper guitars.
Gonna put an SD Pegasus/59 set in, that has been lying around unused for some time now as well as some locking tuners and a Graphtech nut.
I also ordered a new Gravity Vari-G 7 guitar stand to go with the G 9 I already have.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Traded my Diezel Einstein for my Engl Savage 60 Mk II about a month and a half ago and UPS broke the mode and channel switch off (internally!), the output transformer detached from the chassis and all the standoffs on the main board were broken and needed replacement. After lots of back and forth with PirateShip's insurance department, I'm glad to say that they paid for the repairs in full and all is well again in the world :hbang:This is the first time in 15+ years I've ever had to make a claim on an amp or guitar and I'm glad it went well. Still, that shit was stressful and I'm definitely not as excited about shipping stuff anymore as I used to be. At least PirateShip took care of it!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I said I was fine with guitars... But I'm falling out of love with my Tele. It just feels weird to hold compared to my other guitars. Idk, I think its how the tummy cut is carved + lack of an arm bevel. Soooo I'm currently looking at a guitar to replace it lol... as long as no one else buys it before me.