What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It does sound ridiculous but in reality my bed was in such a bad spot that I often didn't sleep there, and this way, if we do actually find a new apartment, it cuts down on what needs to be moved. I'm already worried about what sort of weird burden having a bunch of guitars and amps are going to do when we have to hire movers.

I've already decided I'll be moving the guitars and amps myself. I am really not looking forward to it, especially since everything is in my attic office.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
It does sound ridiculous but in reality my bed was in such a bad spot that I often didn't sleep there, and this way, if we do actually find a new apartment, it cuts down on what needs to be moved. I'm already worried about what sort of weird burden having a bunch of guitars and amps are going to do when we have to hire movers.
Move next week and get some foreign schmuck to help

gnoll

Reaction score
I think they also sound bigger than my guitars with hardtail bridges (hipshot style), so I think there is something specific to the TOM design.

I think TOM is a safe bet, design wise. Not that other things can't sound as good, but many probably won't. TOM is kind of the golden standard to live up to. And certainly a stock Floyd Rose for example doesn't get there.

Then materials and saddles make some difference too. You could screw up a TOM by making it out of some crappy material, or having a poor guitar-bridge match. Like a too dull sounding bridge for an already dull sounding guitar. But most TOMs that come on non-beginner guitars are probably gonna sound pretty good. Hard to go wrong with a Gotoh for example.

I think bridges are underrated, tone-wise. Most other things on the guitar kind of just affect the eq curve, but the bridge also determines how the string acts when it's picked, so it's gonna affect attack, sustain etc.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to possibly trade a 50 Watt 5150 I found in the trash for a JVM410H and just played it and holy shit, my first time playing a JVM and holy shit, guys, holy shit. Played it absolute cranked in the guitar center auditorium and it was glorious. Now to hopefully make a deal....

Shask

Reaction score
I think TOM is a safe bet, design wise. Not that other things can't sound as good, but many probably won't. TOM is kind of the golden standard to live up to. And certainly a stock Floyd Rose for example doesn't get there.

Then materials and saddles make some difference too. You could screw up a TOM by making it out of some crappy material, or having a poor guitar-bridge match. Like a too dull sounding bridge for an already dull sounding guitar. But most TOMs that come on non-beginner guitars are probably gonna sound pretty good. Hard to go wrong with a Gotoh for example.

I think bridges are underrated, tone-wise. Most other things on the guitar kind of just affect the eq curve, but the bridge also determines how the string acts when it's picked, so it's gonna affect attack, sustain etc.
I kind of wonder if there is more metal to wood contact on the knife edges and thicker posts of the TOM as compared to the little allen screws on the typical hardtail. Maybe those larger posts of the TOM going 1/2" or whatever into the wood transmits more of the vibration to the wood and pickups.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Going to give a Darkglass Infinity a go. I want to experiment with a few ideas, like multiband compression, and I'd like to have a few different gain levels on tap without a massive shift in tone, so looking forward to the presets.

That said, it's digital and is said to lack the punch of an analog B7K or B3K it's based on (I currently use a B7K), but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway and will judge it based on how it sits in the mix.

Infinity-Front.png

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
My Elysian Valkyrie 8 pickup set is finally shipping out tomorrow. They'll be going in my strandberg, and they'll hopefully be a significant improvement over the stock Fluence Moderns that I dislike so much.

gnoll

Reaction score
I kind of wonder if there is more metal to wood contact on the knife edges and thicker posts of the TOM as compared to the little allen screws on the typical hardtail. Maybe those larger posts of the TOM going 1/2" or whatever into the wood transmits more of the vibration to the wood and pickups.

Hm, yeah maybe! Then there's the question, is there a difference between ABR-1 vs. Nashville style TOM?

Something I've thought about is the sharpness of the saddles. It feels like a sharp saddle gives a different sound compared to a flatter saddle. And in that case I think the smaller area of contact between string-saddle on the sharper saddle might be an advantage, because the pressure that the string puts on the saddle is spread over a smaller area.

I had a guitar with saddles that were kind of like cylinders or barrels that the strings rested on, a bit like a vintage tele bridge. And it sounded so damn strange. It had a kind of weird, plucky attack to it. I hated it. It's hard to know exactly what's what but that made me start thinking more about bridges.