What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Sold my 6 string 35" scale fretless bass as it was time to move on from that particular one. So now I'm in the market for another 5 or 6str that isn't going to cripple me with debt. Easier said than done. And I don't really want it to be lined this time because it creates surface leveling issues due to the climate I'm in. Side lines seem like the way to go. Me and Ibanez basses have trust issues so despite the SR and EHB being the obvious choices, I'm not sure that I'm feeling those. And I can't afford a boutique MTD or anything, so I gotsta find that happy medium.

And I'm still on the hunt for a good 7 string evertune.

One thing I can say is that my hunt for great 6 string electrics is over as I am happy enough with the stuff I got. Only exceptions for impulse buys would be an incredibly well priced Schecter Halloween DCGL exclusive, Parker Fly, ESP original, or Rand. And I don't foresee any crazy local deals popping up on those anytime soon.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah for the price I grabbed it it seems like a great modding platform. Might end up going Dino with it and installing a single 81-7 and covering the neck pickup. Or check out that Duncan Damocles pickup coming out. Or wait and see what else Duncan has coming out since they claim to have another pickup coming out later this month
Based on YouTube comments from SD, it might be a signature-less EMTY.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sold my 6 string 35" scale fretless bass as it was time to move on from that particular one. So now I'm in the market for another 5 or 6str that isn't going to cripple me with debt. Easier said than done. And I don't really want it to be lined this time because it creates surface leveling issues due to the climate I'm in. Side lines seem like the way to go. Me and Ibanez basses have trust issues so despite the SR and EHB being the obvious choices, I'm not sure that I'm feeling those. And I can't afford a boutique MTD or anything, so I gotsta find that happy medium.

And I'm still on the hunt for a good 7 string evertune.

One thing I can say is that my hunt for great 6 string electrics is over as I am happy enough with the stuff I got. Only exceptions for impulse buys would be an incredibly well priced Schecter Halloween DCGL exclusive, Parker Fly, ESP original, or Rand. And I don't foresee any crazy local deals popping up on those anytime soon.

You can still find old Carvin XB (35") and LB (34") models for dirt cheap, but you have to jump on them because they don't last. If <24 "frets" isn't a deal breaker if you want the longer scale.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
You can still find old Carvin XB (35") and LB (34") models for dirt cheap, but you have to jump on them because they don't last. If <24 "frets" isn't a deal breaker if you want the longer scale.

There's a 5er of the lb at the local shop right now actually which looks really nice. I'm a little apprehensive because a lot of the older Carvins I come across have the DADR maxed and there's still too much bow. Sometimes they just snap too. I swear half the Carvins I see locally state "Truss rod is maxed, but it's set up well and you can always add relief" I've been fighting the urge to go make an offer.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a 5er of the lb at the local shop right now actually which looks really nice. I'm a little apprehensive because a lot of the older Carvins I come across have the DADR maxed and there's still too much bow. Sometimes they just snap too. I swear half the Carvins I see locally state "Truss rod is maxed, but it's set up well and you can always add relief" I've been fighting the urge to go make an offer.

I've had better luck, but yeah, some have dodgy rods. I think there was a time in the early 00's that Carvin cheaped out on rods, pretty much the worst of them I've seen have been from around 02' to 06', but maybe that's just a coincidence.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
I've had better luck, but yeah, some have dodgy rods. I think there was a time in the early 00's that Carvin cheaped out on rods, pretty much the worst of them I've seen have been from around 02' to 06', but maybe that's just a coincidence.

Yeah that's my only reservation, because they are otherwise built like a tank and I'm a sucker for the blue burst. If I find time tomorrow, I might give it a test drive for something to do.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I have two Mojotone British 412s. One of them has 2 G12H-30 Heritage 55hz and 2 G12M-25 in an X pattern, while the other has 2 G12H-30 Heritage 75hz and 2 G12M-25 in an X pattern. Similar, but the 55hz might be a bit more "husky" in the voicing, while the 75hz are a bit more "open." Both sound great with the G12M-25 in an X pattern. CME is the only place I could find the 75hz version, whereas I got the 55hz version from Mojotone.

EDIT: I thought all 8 speakers sounded stiffer than dried dog shit when I first installed them. Playing them a few hours (4 or so) at a decent volume, even if it wasn't that loud and totally bareable at 10-15 feet away, made a lot of difference. I enjoy breaking in speakers, as I feel like I play quite a bit differently than I normally do, as I like to jump around from the lower strings to the higher strings a lot to get the speaker moving at various frequencies quickly.
Definitely going to have to break them in. Or maybe should have got the 55hz.

First impression, should have never bought them and I can't put the 75s back in quick enough...But I'll break them in for a little first.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that's my only reservation, because they are otherwise built like a tank and I'm a sucker for the blue burst. If I find time tomorrow, I might give it a test drive for something to do.

Eh, unless it's dirt cheap enough "good ones" pop up that I wouldn't lose sleep if that one has to sit.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Just got a 6505 (4th one so far) and 1960bv cab. The Marshall Vintage speakers really compliment the amp. Nice to have a tube amp again from having only the Kemper for 5 years.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EMG'S for my RGA8.

I was kind of thinking 808's or 808X's, but I'm leaning towards the 57/60/66-8's. Or maybe an 85-8 for the bridge? I was assuming those were hotter than the 57/60/66. I could be wrong!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a 6505 (4th one so far) and 1960bv cab. The Marshall Vintage speakers really compliment the amp. Nice to have a tube amp again from having only the Kemper for 5 years.
V30 iirc so the classic metalcore pairing except its not a mesa cab. Enjoy!

Shask

Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if I need some more 412 cabs, lol. Over the weekend I put my XXX 412 cab back together, and it sounded WAY better than it ever did before. I actually think the wiring of how I got it was wired out of phase, because it was bright and had no bass. Now it sounds full.

I also took my Triple Recto and put it through a load box, and then ran it back through my KT88 poweramp. HUGE sound! Makes me wonder if a Power Station or something should be in my future.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Definitely going to have to break them in. Or maybe should have got the 55hz.

First impression, should have never bought them and I can't put the 75s back in quick enough...But I'll break them in for a little first.
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. The 75hz sound awesome. If you have a 412, maybe buy a couple MIE Greenbacks (M25) and place them in an X pattern.

What kind of music do you play? (Relate it to bands; ie, I play stuff along the lines of 70s/80s hard rock and metal like Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, KISS, Van Halen, Ratt Megadeth, Dokken, Cinderella, Dio, etc)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
V30 iirc so the classic metalcore pairing except its not a mesa cab. Enjoy!
On paper, a 6505 amp with a V30 loaded cab, and a guitar with an EMG 81 in the bridge just seems like upper midrange ear rape without lube.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Debating on getting some DV77s to pair with the k100s I have lying around. The jensen tornado stealth 80s are cool but they don't really blend as well with the k100s as I would like.

Latest posts