What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orzech

Reaction score
My students mostly listen to classic rock/metal, what I believe their parents introduced them to (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica etc.)

Other that that, majority of teenagers here listen to whatever is going on radio, music tv etc. with no distinct taste in music at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
The younger generation is fine; listening to decent music doesn't make you as much of an outlier as you'd like to think it does.
Quote for ....ing truth. I only got into obscure music because I wanted to be cool on internet forums lol. Then I realized that this "classic" 80's thrash band from Poland that nobody cares about outside of Metal Archives, isn't good at all. That's why I bathe in the vanity of modern pop music. Just to say ".... YOU" to all the IMN's and nostalgia dorks who won't shut up about "mah organic production" or "mah integrity as an artist". And also because modern pop is catchy and pleasant to listen to. With that being said, I mainly listen to 90's angst rock and 80's goth, with a pinch of classical and black metal, so I haven't lost my tr00 roots in the ground, guarded by the pagan trees that speak to me. <--- free black metal lyrics

So maybe I don't disagree that old music is better. I do believe in real, mostly unedited recordings. But if you just keep putting down artists and bands for being "in the wrong generation" they won't go anywhere. Or maybe they will.. rock has themes about rebellion against the generation that came before. I'm 19 btw.

Anyway, here's one band down with da kidz that I like.

^ That logo is just screaming for a back patch. Has Warped Tour caught the vest virus yet?

Last edited:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
The general "kids who listen to music" aren't on internet forums discussing things, they're outside having fun with those tracks as their soundtrack. Interesting thread though, enjoying the discussion. Except for the odd pretentious "everything was better in the old days" or "so many people just listen to music to enjoy themselves, ugh" posts.

Reaction score
The general "kids who listen to music" aren't on internet forums discussing things, they're outside having fun with those tracks as their soundtrack. Interesting thread though, enjoying the discussion. Except for the odd pretentious "everything was better in the old days" or "so many people just listen to music to enjoy themselves, ugh" posts.

I couldn't back this post harder if I wanted to.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
The younger people I know (around freshmen age) like the poppy metalcore like black veil bride, or falling in reverse.

Redoubt9000

Reaction score
I've been stuck on Alestorm for several years now >.> Tbh though I've a bad habit of only listening to only a handful of bands for a ridiculously long stretch, but I ain't complainin.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score

I agree. In fact, I'd take it a step further. Anyone who spends a sizable portion of time on music forums is much less likely to have an accurate perception of what "the kids" listen to than the average person. Sorry thread. :lol:

bhakan

Reaction score
I think I still qualify as a kid, if not technically (19). I'd say anytime you try and generalize one answer for "what the kids listen to now" you're going to fail because there are lots of people into all kinds of music.

Obviously as always, the average person doesn't go out of their way to find music, so if you flip through your local radio stations that will show you pretty much what the majority of people listen to. A lot of Top 40 pop stuff and pop country. I'd assume this question was more aimed at kids who are into music though.

As far as heavy music, I see a lot of people into hardcore as well as djent/deathcore. A lot of kids like the super low, slow, heavy stuff like Black Tongue.

As far as more rock stuff, there are a lot of kids into pop punk. A lot of kids are also into the newer emo stuff (I guess emo is what to call it) like Balance and Composure, Citizen, Tigers Jaw, Weatherbox, but I think my opinion of how many people like this could be skewed since this is what a lot of the people I'm around like, but hardly the majority. I guess for rock the type of bands like The Artic Monkeys and stuff are pretty popular.

Probably one of the more prevalent are people really into electronic like house, trap and stuff.

I also know a lot of people into more folky acoustic stuff and more chill indie stuff.

At the end of the day, basically every kid I know who is actually into music (ie: actively searches out new music) has shown me at least one band that is pretty cool, even if I generally don't like most of the bands in the style, so I don't buy the people who say kids only listen to shit.

Chemical-Pony

Reaction score
I work in University and most of the 'kids' (18-25), in fact the vast majority only listen to what commercial radio churns out, which usually means R&B like Beyonce or Rihanna. Most have literally never heard of anything that's more than two years old. But the really depressing thing is they have absolutely no interest in discovering anything new. I've tried introducing them to lots of different genres but they hate everything. They're basically sheep who listen to what they're told to by the media. I have concluded that these are people who don't actually like music. They are consumers who are sold a product because they're told it's cool, like a brand of clothing. There is no hope for these people.

bce5150

Reaction score

THIS is what most kids (and sadly most adults) are listening to right now. A lot of people touched on the evolution of heavy music aspect of his question -- but in terms of the "What do people like nowadays?" aspect - I think some stuff that I posted answers that aspect of the question.

That being said - I absolutely hate all this shit. People go from listening to nursery rhymes and Disney music and are thrown right into this brain dead slurry of pop, rap, and EDM. It's in the super market. It's in your car. It's in the street. It's in the car commercials. It's at the 4th of July fireworks. It's at your neighbor's BBQ party. It's in the bar. It's in the soulless eyes of the girl you picked up from the bar. It's so ubiquitous in modern life that it's not even considered "mainstream pop"... it's just what "music" is.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
By the way, I think it's worth taking a second in this thread to say that there is some amazing computerized non-pop stuff like Igorr and Whourkr.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It's in the super market..

I'll call bullshit on this, given that for the past probably month or so, every time I go into the supermarket I immediately hear - barely, mind you, over the sound of the freezer's motor running - Sugar Ray's "Fly." Yes, that one of maybe three, or four at BEST, hits that that one 90's band had next to Smash Mouth's "All Star" or Blue's Traveler's "Run Around." So super markets haven't caught up and they're still rocking 80's and 90's pop hits. Which means nothing has changed in the probably 15 or so years it's been out, so I can't imagine what'll happen when they have to move into 2000-2010. I'll probably be dead by then, or if not then well into what they call 'the golden years.'

Also, I will say out of the videos that were posted, Lorde's stuff is rather strikingly different from what's on the radio. I've listened to her whole album, and it doesn't get very fast, maybe 140 or 160bpm at most, simple drum beats, and mostly atmosphere with her carrying the song alone and even her flow/voice is different from the other interchangeable females out there. Nicki Minaj, Arianna Grande, Iggy Azalea, etc... all singing their fvcking heads off with a voice up in the range that only dogs can hear, but here's Lorde chillin' down in the lower sultry range, with a sort of raspy, velvety voice.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
I might be the youngest on here, I'm 14 but I joined the forum when I was 13. I listen to Prog and death metal. I love bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Dying Fetus, and Obscura. I am different from most kids my age though. My dad is a guitar player and he listens to guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Dream Theater so I got turned onto that stuff at a young age. I know a lot of kids my age like dubstep, and anything top 40. The ones that listen to metal listen to bands like Falling in Reverse, Of Mice and Men, and Suicide Silence. I don't know anyone my age that has similar tastes in music as I do or is as interested in music as I am.

bce5150

Reaction score
I'll call bullshit on this, given that for the past probably month or so, every time I go into the supermarket I immediately hear - barely, mind you, over the sound of the freezer's motor running - Sugar Ray's "Fly." Yes, that one of maybe three, or four at BEST, hits that that one 90's band had next to Smash Mouth's "All Star" or Blue's Traveler's "Run Around." So super markets haven't caught up and they're still rocking 80's and 90's pop hits. Which means nothing has changed in the probably 15 or so years it's been out, so I can't imagine what'll happen when they have to move into 2000-2010. I'll probably be dead by then, or if not then well into what they call 'the golden years.'

Also, I will say out of the videos that were posted, Lorde's stuff is rather strikingly different from what's on the radio. I've listened to her whole album, and it doesn't get very fast, maybe 140 or 160bpm at most, simple drum beats, and mostly atmosphere with her carrying the song alone and even her flow/voice is different from the other interchangeable females out there. Nicki Minaj, Arianna Grande, Iggy Azalea, etc... all singing their fvcking heads off with a voice up in the range that only dogs can hear, but here's Lorde chillin' down in the lower sultry range, with a sort of raspy, velvety voice.

Hey man.... maybe in Boston it's different... But I assure you that I am not giving you bullshit. In NJ the stuff I posted is in shopping departments, shoe stores, grocery stores, bars, clubs, liquor stores, wine shops, convenience stores, dollar stores, every radio station except one spanish station and another that does top 40 50% of the time anyway, pool billiards, chain restaurants, gas stations, thrift stores, sleepy's, bed bath and beyond, fast food restaurants, bagel shops, delis, and even public events hosted by the municipality. It's in every god damned nook and cranny. In NYC it's even worse -- it's just pummeled upon you in tinny mono from every bodega, pub, store, and fashion outlet on every corner... they've entirely given up on appealing to "irish" or "rock" or "house music" like they would have 5 - 10 years ago... it's just the same damn top 40 songs everywhere (Okay -- to be fair, some of the bodegas do Spanish music).

I agree with the sultry range, raspy, velvety voice.... Lorde's an excellent vocalist. Unfortunately, the music itself sucks.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
^ Imagine hearing dubstep in a fvcking Market Basket? Am I right my (Northern)New England brotheren haha?

Also I do hear it everywhere in Boston though man so you're not going crazy. My ears feel a sigh of relief when I'm in a bar or restaurant thats not playing that stuff. I don't mind Lorde's music at all but If I hear ....ing Royals one more god damn time...

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
I don't mind Lorde's music at all but If I hear ....ing Royals one more god damn time...

That f**king song, it's gotten so much hype for being philosophical while people are making the exact kind of money they think the song disapproves of off of it.

But what can you do, people want to be profound even if they've got a head full of pebbles instead of brains. :lol:

Sheagle7

Reaction score

These dudes are crazy as hell, and I can't understand a word they are saying, but I still love 'em lol
But on a regular daily basis I find myself listening to classic rock or heavy metal: Van Halen, AC/DC, Sabbath, Dio, Pink Floyd...I could go on. Just depends on my mood.
I do not understand the music industry today, the $hit like Nikki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, etc. is not music. They are not talented. Pick up a fvcking instrument people! Just my opinion.
Talent is so scarce these days, it's very sad.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey man.... maybe in Boston it's different... But I assure you that I am not giving you bullshit. In NJ the stuff I posted is in shopping departments, shoe stores, grocery stores, bars, clubs, liquor stores, wine shops, convenience stores, dollar stores, every radio station except one spanish station and another that does top 40 50% of the time anyway, pool billiards, chain restaurants, gas stations, thrift stores, sleepy's, bed bath and beyond, fast food restaurants, bagel shops, delis, and even public events hosted by the municipality. It's in every god damned nook and cranny. In NYC it's even worse -- it's just pummeled upon you in tinny mono from every bodega, pub, store, and fashion outlet on every corner... they've entirely given up on appealing to "irish" or "rock" or "house music" like they would have 5 - 10 years ago... it's just the same damn top 40 songs everywhere (Okay -- to be fair, some of the bodegas do Spanish music).

^ Imagine hearing dubstep in a fvcking Market Basket? Am I right my (Northern)New England brotheren haha?

Huh, maybe it's good that I don't go anywhere then :lol: I've yet to hear anything in the past like ...5, or 10 years from the radio on in a super-market (currently Stop n' Shop due to Market Basket fiasco :() so I'm surprised that in a nationwide chain it varies from region-to-region. Although I think my trade off is hearing two different TV loops at work, one being the Entertainment area ones with 'upcoming' previews (which usually stay on there well after DVD release, like Frozen trailers are STILL playing four months later) and the Red Channel on the main TV wall which loops after about 3 minutes, which feels more or less like 30 seconds.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
-massive rant and like 10 videos-

Hate what you want, and I'm not really a fan of most of what you posted (not to be confused with 'hate', as I find hate to take up too much effort into music I simply don't enjoy), but I think Lorde is great. :2c:

EDIT: No offense intended, just wanted to add some Lorde love :wub:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
You asked for it. This got 100,000 views in one day... Just let that sink in...

I used to dig Betraying the Martyrs......but this is about one of the most "un-metal" things ever. Breakdowns, random riffs (you couldn't even call it "chaotic"...it's just literally random barely even following the thematic elements), and Disney. Yeah...

On a side note: DAMN have Aaron's vocals and Victor's vocals changed since their Breathe In Life album!
Necrobump.

I think I take back one of my statements regarding this.

Giving this a few in-depth listens in a row, I'm starting to really dig it. I even think that I might do a cover of it.

(Layering everything on Aaron's vocals though...ehhh...still not much of a fan.)