What picks do you use?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteDope
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured this would be the best place to post this since it did not fit much anywhere else.. Recently, I've noticed how much of a difference a pick makes, from tone to speed, and I've also noticed I can never find a happy medium with picks. If I use my Dunlop Tortex Pointed (Just under 1mm, sizes are all faded off) picks, I can play very clear and fast on my .70 gauge low string, however, it is too much for the high strings and it kills my playing ability. Now, I have IcePix Steel Flex picks that I have filed to a point that if I use for the high strings I can play almost twice as fast with, however, it gets stuck on my bottom strings and is very hard to play with.

So my question is, what gauge/type of pick do you guys use on your sevens and have you had this problem before? I can't really seem to find pick that can play smoothly on a .011 gauge string and a .70 gauge string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteShadow

Banned
Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex "Rhinos" (As i affectionately call them) in 1.0's. The ones with the picture of the Rhino on them. I use both the regular ones and the Triangular shaped ones. I've been using them for years and years and years. I use them till the tips just begin to wear then throw them in a jar full of 100's of other used "Rhino"s, i'm wasteful like that! Dunlops rule though.

These guys:
DUNLOP+ULTEX+73.JPG

And my god Darren... .56mm? Man thats thin.

Reaction score
I happen to have some Dunlop Ultex Triangle picks laying around, they do play alright but it bothers me that I can barely the notes I'm playing sometimes over the loud grind of the pick against the string.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Jazz III's here as well. I tried the Dunlop 1.14's in a jazz shape, but it changed me tone and hindered my playing some, so I went back to III's

Reaction score
I've always avoided Dunlop Jazz just because the look like tiny, fat stubs. Maybe I'll give them a try though.. Do they play smooth on the higher strings?

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
^^ You get used to it. I used to use Jim Dunlop 1.14 (the purple ones) and I thought they were the best. A few people were raving about Jazz IIIs so I tried them, and loved them. Now I find it impossible to play with anything else, normal picks feel huge.

They just play very well overall. I just don't notice I'm holding it, they're that comfortable. Just how a pick should feel IMO.

thebhef

King....of....Mountn
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using cool picks. The jazz III shape, 1.5mm. They're super rigid and super slick, apart from the sandpaper pads on 'em. They're pretty badass little picks. Kind of spendy, though, compared to celluloid or tortex, though.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Dunlop Teckpick Aluminium

1153434836_TECKPICK_ANO_ALUM_PLECTRA_467_250X185.jpg

They were a lot smaller than i expected them to be initially, but i really love how fast they feel, and how much resistance they have when playing. It's encouraging me to play a little softer, and get a lot more accurate :yesway:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks.
I might get thicker picks one day though, but the 1.14 one aren't bad.

liquidcow

Reaction score
I use the green Tortex .88 picks, never really got on with anything else. I do find that playing with a new pick is a bit fiddly, you have to wear them in a bit first.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I prefer a pick with a little bit of "give" in it. Being primarily a rhythm player, i find that heavier picks don't give me the kind of smooth and natural pick attack i like to hear. To my ears, the sound of a fingernail on a string is the ideal blend of warmth and attack. And for a number of years, that's how i played, Jeff Beck-style with nails and fingers. But at some point, i damaged the nail bed of my right index finger, so that nail never grows as thick or as strong as my other nails, so it wears down and tears easily.

The small size and relative stiffness of the Ultem material (like Ultex) as well as the pointed tip means the .56 Spike is actually pretty perfect, and the closest thing to that natural "fingernail" attack that i like. They have excellent sound, great feel, and they're very versatile.

I used Stubbies and Big Stubbies for quite a while, and while i loved how "efficient" they made my playing feel, but i found they had a very stiff sound to them. When recording, i could also hear a distinct "plink" on my pick attack with Stubbies, because the material is so hard and bright-sounding.

I also find that with very stiff picks, they have a tendency to jump out of my hand during energetic picking or strumming. I have to grip a stiff pick much more tightly, which tires out my picking hand a lot more quickly.

The .56 Clayton Spike is the best pick i've ever played.

spike.jpg

I use the small ones on the right. If you like Jazz III style picks, you MUST try these. They're available in .56, .72 and .80.