What player did you recently realize is a badass?

• Thread starter Wiltonauer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Alejandro Sanz.

Yeah, that Spaniard pop star.

It happened many years ago, not recently: I witnessed him playing flamenco, accompanied by a "cajon flamenco" — turns out that Sanz is a monster playing guitar.

Sadly, I still have not been able to find a good youtube video with Sanz shredding on a flamenco guitar. I'll keep trying, though.

A similar example was watching John Mayer playing with B.B. King, at a time I only knew Mayer as a teenage pop-star.
Sanz is insane, also, I don't know about his recent tours but during the '90's and 00's he always left space for his musicians to shine

teamSKDM

Reaction score

recently discovered john fahey , brilliant guitarist and especially for his time. his original arrangements are far more complex than most of the music out during his time. watching him really makes me wanna work on my acoustic / nylon chops

Lionsblood79

Swimmin with bowlegged women
Reaction score
Where the fk is Pat OBrien from Cannibal Corpse??? Talk about an awesome player! He needs a second chance with CC or some other band...His riffs are legendary

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yell at me for a necro-bump if you must, but I think most will agree that I’m long overdue in recognizing that Gus G. is a badass. Like many I first became aware of him when he started playing with Ozzy. I figured the old boy would have him imitating Zakk or Randy as best he could, no big deal, and that’s all we’d ever hear from him.

I also had thought Vinnie Moore had gone out to pasture and was mostly playing Foghat covers at county fairs or something.

They’ve both disappointed me tremendously,

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And I’ve known for a long time that Paul Gilbert is… well… Paul Gilbert, but somehow I missed this entire album and thought “Godzilla” was a one-off from one of his solo records. Now I listen to Superheroes at least once a week.

C’mon, Paul. Just. Come. On.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Yell at me for a necro-bump if you must, but I think most will agree that I’m long overdue in recognizing that Gus G. is a badass. Like many I first became aware of him when he started playing with Ozzy. I figured the old boy would have him imitating Zakk or Randy as best he could, no big deal, and that’s all we’d ever hear from him.

I also had thought Vinnie Moore had gone out to pasture and was mostly playing Foghat covers at county fairs or something.

They’ve both disappointed me tremendously,

Instead of yell, I’ll applaud the necro bump! Going to check out all of these videos again.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jazz Guys.

1:35 timestamp for the solo break ^

1:51 timestamp for the solo ^

It’s amazing how these guys, who clearly could play anything they wanted, get away with playing a lot of fartsy bullcrap that would get a player in any other genre laughed out of the studio, by playing it in the right context and somehow making it sound awesome.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
It’s amazing how these guys, who clearly could play anything they wanted, get away with playing a lot of fartsy bullcrap that would get a player in any other genre laughed out of the studio, by playing it in the right context and somehow making it sound awesome.

Interesting phrasing and chromatic licks can go a long way when they're played at lightspeed. I like arpeggios and tasteful bends, but discovering the "outside" stuff really opened a lot of musical doors for me.

Also forgot to add Holdsworth in there. The alien of the bunch.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Alan Sparhawk. Low's songs sound simple, but learning one and trying to play like him you realize how much he does with so little. Masterful sense of pacing and dynamic control. The epitome of "less is more."