What power amp to get for Axe FX Ultra (UK based)

• Thread starter nilenecrophagist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nilenecrophagist

Reaction score
Looking to get a power amp, what do you guys recommend?

I have a Laney 2x12 ironheart cab to use with it. I play live a lot so am looking for a reliable unit!

Petef2007

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Axe, but I have a Laney Irt Studio that was the only thing that made my POD sound good with the 4CM. Maybe grab a second hand one off ebay, stick it in the rack with the Axe, and use that as a dedicated tube poweramp?

Bonus is you'll be able to run it in the 15W mode live - and it WILL keep up with a drummer - then run it in >1W at home and still have tube power for your axe.

lewis

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Axe, but I have a Laney Irt Studio that was the only thing that made my POD sound good with the 4CM. Maybe grab a second hand one off ebay, stick it in the rack with the Axe, and use that as a dedicated tube poweramp?

Bonus is you'll be able to run it in the 15W mode live - and it WILL keep up with a drummer - then run it in >1W at home and still have tube power for your axe.

I would add though, if you are going IRT studio route OP (a brilliant decision if so) bare in mind the thing gets CRAZY hot and Laney recommend it having a whole 1U of space above it. So if you are putting it in a rack case to power an Axe FX bare that in mind. Like Axe at the bottom, Laney above it and 1U of space above that before anything else you might have. (i.e a power conditioner powering the whole case etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nilenecrophagist

Reaction score
Funny you guys should mention it, because I actually already have an Ironheart studio! Well, if it'll work well as the power amp, thats great! thanks for the tip about leaving space above it because it gets hot by the way So would you just leave it on the clean channel and run the axe fx or POD through the effects loop? and have the treble/bass/mids on 5 ?

lewis

Reaction score
Funny you guys should mention it, because I actually already have an Ironheart studio! Well, if it'll work well as the power amp, thats great! thanks for the tip about leaving space above it because it gets hot by the way So would you just leave it on the clean channel and run the axe fx or POD through the effects loop? and have the treble/bass/mids on 5 ?

you are welcome ::yesway: I was planning to do the same with my Kemper and buy a power amp so thats how I know.

regards to powering it, yeah I presume thats how it works. Thats what I would do personally. Neutral EQ and power it off via the efx loop as you say.
It will obviously colour the tone and give you the Laney sound I imagine but thats not a bad thing. The Ironheart series is pretty sick.

Petef2007

Reaction score
How I ran it was 4 cable method using just the preamp models on the pod, no cab emulation. I *assume* you can do the same on the Axe Fx - at least I certainly hope you can as i'm looking to go 4CM Axe/Laney myself this year.

Really any tube head with an FX loop in serial (I think) will work as the power amp. Obviously you'll get a bit of coloration in your tone. I just recommended the IRT studio because you can get em cheaper than, say, a mesa or VHT poweramp, but if you already have one even better!

It's literally the only thing I could do to make the pod preamps sound good, so I imagine it would make the Axe absolutely roar.

But as mentioned it does get warm....for the love of god don't put your axe above the laney.