What Preamp tubes?

• Thread starter Salvation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Salvation

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a Rivera K-Tre, and since switching out the preamp tubes to JJ 12AX7s I haven't been too happy with the sound.

The problem is though, wherever I go to look at which tubes would be right for me, some site always has a preference for one brand for no real reason.

Lately, I've been feeling the amp to be a tad too muddy and is way too dark and gritty/fuzzy. I was thinking of brightening up the amp a bit, and keeping it thick, chunky, and adding a fair bit of roundness, and smoothing it out for less ear fatigue and more pleasant sounding solos (a tad more creamy).

I was also thinking of switching the EL-34s out for Gold Lion KT-77s or KT-88s.

Which preamp tubes would be a good choice to swap in? And is the switching out of the power tube section also a good idea?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
Tung Sols for preamp tubes. They sound brighter than JJs in a VHT, so they might work for you too. Also, it helps to maybe have a pro do it, as quality control on tubes sucks, and you want a particular tube in particular positions in the amp. Also Groove Tubes are better than JJ imo.