What string gauge for very high tunings?

• Thread starter Rastamoneq
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been wondering what strings should I put in an 8 string 27" so I could tune up to something like GCGCFA#C#G and possibly tune sometimes up to AEADGBEA. So far it was killer for all my guitars to tune up to high G. How would You guys say? Any special things to do? What gauges? Thanks! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/162586-a4-beyond-thread.html

TLDR: You won't get it to A with ordinary strings. G is the safe limit for that scale and even then I wouldn't bend it live. 008 and 007 gauges :) Such strings will reveal any sharp points on the contact points (saddle, nut, tuner) which might need smoothing down.
Octave4Plus strings are the only option for tuning above G at 27". The owner of the company can be an asshole and they are incredibly expensive to get in your country so I'd forget that :)

27" is great for those G-G type tunings. I see you're going for perfect fourths there though so that should be a G# on top? Maybe try tuning down another semitone then :)

vansinn

Reaction score
^ :agreed: G4# is too high at 27" and just barely doable on 26.5" - tried it with 008 and 007 on my Schecter Riot 8. Even G4 feels damn tight for bending. And I absolutely do not like 007's ;)

Couple of tips..
Solder the ball-end wraparound on those top strings, so they don't slide out of fashion and do pitch droppings ;)

In order to avoid the tuner peg/hold cutting the wire, I cut off at part of the wire, wrap it around the end that goes through the tuner peg, and, while keeping the two wires taught (other ends held in a vice), then applied a light solder layer for locking the wrapped wire.
Instead, some fabric, like cotton, can be wrapped around it and secured with a flexible glue (though I find the wire wrap easier).