What the hell going on with DT and "The Astonishing"?

• Thread starter The Mirror
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Man, imagine if there was some band that still had Portnoy in it and no Labrie... :rolleyes:

Please I'll do anything to resurrect Liquid Tension Experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Agramal

Reaction score
DT fanboys will buy anything. it's a terrible album.

It really is horrible. I listened to it once through and it came off like a comedy effort, a parody of a rock opera.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, imagine if there was some band that still had Portnoy in it and no Labrie... :rolleyes:

Please I'll do anything to resurrect Liquid Tension Experiment

Or if there had been a band with Portnoy and Russell Allen...:eek:

LTE was really crazy good, though. Projects that good don't usually last much more than two album cycles, though, typically (Spastic Ink, Freak Guitar, etc.).

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Or if there had been a band with Portnoy and Russell Allen...:eek:

That's been done, and didn't turn out too good.

I think Portnoy back to DT is inevitable. Mangini looks bored live and honestly DT needs MP back for the live shows at minimum. They are dreadfully boring to see live.

stuglue

Reaction score
not a fan of this, i listened to the album all the way through. It was very contrived. When DT release concept albums they feel very forced. Pink Floyd created a concept album masterpiece with the Wall. DT on the other hand, not so good and i think that comes down to poor songwriting ability. No one will ever doubt their technical ability but i sometimes feel they use that to justify a rather bland song. I'd like to see Kevin Moore back in the band but i doubt that'll happen

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Man... That sucks. :(

He did so, so, so well with The Astonishing show singing I was hoping he'd be able to sing the I&W well. It's just too high honestly because I'd imagine he'd kill it at a lower range or phrase it differently while singing. Better that than blowing your voice.

Yes. James Labrie got food-poison back in the day and didn't follow the Doctors order by staying out of the tour presented for "Awake." Therefore, he injured his voice badly and it is now the way it is. However, he has improved it, thankfully. I've loved his voice on the old albums and when they performed live in Japan back in the 90's, it was CRAZY how good he was and his range. I loved it. <3

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
^ I thought Adrenaline Mob was great. The first album had some great songs, even if it was all a bit over the top. But with a name like 'Adrenaline Mob', what did you expect :lol:. Also didn't help that the guitar player wasn't a big name, or that his soloing style was a little idiosyncratic.

Symphony X tours a lot more than I ever have, but, not nearly as much as DT, plus, as I said, Allen's not a range-monster, he's more just a good all-around vocalist, so it's apples and oranges, in my mind.

Agreed on most points, but saying Allen isn't a 'range monster' is a little bizarre...especially since we can easily look this up (videos below).

James Labrie: range of E&#9837;2-B&#9837;5 according to the video, which includes some live shrieks on the high end and spoken passages on the low end. A safer estimate from the recordings in that video might be G#2-G5.

Russell Allen: A1-F&#9839;5 according to this video, which again uses spoken passages for the low end (even if it separates them them the low sung notes). I'd say A2-F5 is a better estimate for his range on sustained sung notes.

So very similar ranges, really, even if the the sounds of their singing voices are so different. Obviously there's the question of how much each singer plays around with the range as well, and I do think Labrie jumps around the scale more, particularly during the Awake-era and before. But to be honest with you, this is kind of like comparing Lemieux and Gretzky...they're both legendary vocalists with massive vocal ranges that they've demonstrated live and on recordings. I wouldn't personally cut Allen any slack for having an 'easier' vocal style...nor would I be too eager to criticise Labrie for his live performances either. They both have difficult jobs.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That's been done, and didn't turn out too good

14bbddf92dddd5827520f2f979ae4075bc7824ce79daee95b4cede43900f471c.jpg

Sermo Lupi said:
James Labrie: range of E&#9837;2-B&#9837;5 according to the video, which includes some live shrieks on the high end and spoken passages on the low end. A safer estimate from the recordings in that video might be G#2-G5.

Russell Allen: A1-F&#9839;5 according to this video, which again uses spoken passages for the low end (even if it separates them them the low sung notes). I'd say A2-F5 is a better estimate for his range on sustained sung notes.

Hmm, I guess I estimated their range off of their recorded music, not their spoken voice, but either way, Allen might have tons of range that he doesn't use as much as LaBrie. In my mind, that's a good thing. If I was an alien cyborg with a range from A000 to A9, and I wanted a singing career, I would say sticking in the range of comfortable hearing for most of my work would be better, in the long run, than flaunting that range too much.

Don't get me wrong, I love Images and Words, but there are parts of it that I can't even badly sing along with in the car, because it's just too high.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Of course Petrucci supports the God Emperor. Greatness recognizes greatness.

This Majesty looks as if it were made for The President. Gorgeous!

img_5220.jpg

JSanta

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the comments about range. I was actually listening to their live show from Bloodstock last year, and he sounds as good if not better than he did on the first SX albums. The music is cheesy, but what a voice! Not sure if everyone knows, but Russell Allen has been touring with TSO at least for the past couple of years, and the guy is an absolute beast live. Talk about range. Easily one of the best voices in the show - he's an all around incredible singer. And they're doing two shows a day, granted he's not lead on all the songs, but he's got whatever IT is.

Another guy that has crazy range is Chris Cornell. His voice may not be as strong as it was in the early 90s, but he still hits almost everything.

JB has always had an awkward delivery, and I think the constant touring and demand on what appears to be the full range of his voice has taken it's toll. Though I remember from the Petrucci Forum days that people were talking about the decline of JB since before the SFAM days.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the comments about range. I was actually listening to their live show from Bloodstock last year, and he sounds as good if not better than he did on the first SX albums. The music is cheesy, but what a voice! Not sure if everyone knows, but Russell Allen has been touring with TSO at least for the past couple of years, and the guy is an absolute beast live. Talk about range. Easily one of the best voices in the show - he's an all around incredible singer. And they're doing two shows a day, granted he's not lead on all the songs, but he's got whatever IT is.

Another guy that has crazy range is Chris Cornell. His voice may not be as strong as it was in the early 90s, but he still hits almost everything.

JB has always had an awkward delivery, and I think the constant touring and demand on what appears to be the full range of his voice has taken it's toll. Though I remember from the Petrucci Forum days that people were talking about the decline of JB since before the SFAM days.

Absolutely. The best voice in metal, in my opinion. Aside from the range and the skill, Russell Allen is blessed with that characteristic vocal tone he has, and it's a very rare thing for sure. It's the best definition of hitting the genetic lottery in music that I can think of, and that includes Paul Gilbert's eight-foot long pinky finger :lol: Hell of a frontman, too...owns every bit of what he does, and it's like magic watching him and Romeo interact live.

Anyway, back to DT. I don't think any of that Trump stuff belongs in here, honestly, but what John said wasn't really worthy of that headline. The 'endorsement' (if you can call it that) was pretty tepid...it was more or less the same 'I think we should give him a chance' remark you get from any moderate. If anything, Petrucci is probably just a lifelong Republican and voted for the guy...and that's not all that insane given the history in America of voting along party lines. I mean, short of cornering John and grilling him on the minutiae of Trump's policy, I don't think this reflects poorly on him at all. He's along for the ride just like every other American, only he has a positive attitude about it. Hell, has anyone ever seen Petrucci be negative about anything?

Latest posts