What to add according to my setup? rack or pedals?

• Thread starter seekky123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seekky123

Reaction score
Greetings people!
I'm a new member to this forum(extended range guitar also).
Tosin Abasi from AAL influenced me to step into this new family. And i gotta say after playing around my RG8 for a couple weeks, i feel that I'm really enjoy!

now can you guys kindly give me some advice about what gears should i get?
i want tosin-ish tone.

here is my full setup:

Ibanez RG8 stock
Ampeg GVT-5h amp
Ampeg GVT-112EW cab

i'm looking for djent distortion tone, however i can't afford an AXE FX.
currently i have the Boss ME-25, it just won't cut it for djent or heavy tone.

what will be a cost-efficient way to achieve that kind of sound?
rack or pedals? any comments will be really helpful and appreciated.

Happy holiday by the way!

EDIT: English is not my native language, sorry if i make any errors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
There is a guide to djent tone some where. Just google 'guide to djent tone site:sevenstring.org' and it should pop up right away. Welcome to the forum, bud!

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

seekky123

Reaction score
There is a guide to djent tone some where. Just google 'guide to djent tone site:sevenstring.org' and it should pop up right away. Welcome to the forum, bud!

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Thanks!
I actually checked out that thread last week.

i have a TS9 and bogner blue pedal as the thread listed.
however i don't find the bogner blue gives me heavy tone. far from enough gotta say.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have the wrong amp to start with.

I dunno how flexible you are in that department, but if that's for sure the only amp you have access to, I recommend the Line 6 Pod HD500X. Tons of sounds to work with there.

Alternatively, there might be some pedals that could help; try Amptweaker, Wampler, and even give the Bogner Ecstasy Red a try. Anyway, I don't play or listen to "djent" but I have watched enough videos here that I know you're looking for clarity, balls, tightness, and obviously good overdrive/harmonics. Seriously: check out some of the things people create with the Pod (go to the gear & equipment page to the Pod thread).

Good luck!

seekky123

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have the wrong amp to start with.

I dunno how flexible you are in that department, but if that's for sure the only amp you have access to, I recommend the Line 6 Pod HD500X. Tons of sounds to work with there.

Alternatively, there might be some pedals that could help; try Amptweaker, Wampler, and even give the Bogner Ecstasy Red a try. Anyway, I don't play or listen to "djent" but I have watched enough videos here that I know you're looking for clarity, balls, tightness, and obviously good overdrive/harmonics. Seriously: check out some of the things people create with the Pod (go to the gear & equipment page to the Pod thread).

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

yea, the amp is a total clean single ch 5w tube amp. since i'm living in a house that have multiple babies, i can't play loud most of the time.

i don't play djent or heavy music exclusively so i think this amp is actually great for me in my opinion, all i need just some pedals in front of it and i am ready to play wide range of music.

i'm eye-balling on the HD500 as well, but if i'm going modeling amp, i wanna go rack. (floor unit usually gives me headache when i'm tweaking sound..)

what do u guys think about Pod X3 pro? it's a perfect price tag for me currently. But i'm afraid it's getting dated

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
what do u guys think about Pod X3 pro? it's a perfect price tag for me currently. But i'm afraid it's getting dated

Meshuggah used a Vetta 2 which is a Pod x3 with a power amp attached and I think AaL used one at one point.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the X3 Pro, I've been using it and I love it.

What is your budget?

seekky123

Reaction score
I would highly recommend the X3 Pro, I've been using it and I love it.

What is your budget?

around $300, i can save up for a POD HD PRO, if its difference between X3 is BIG .

Loganator259

Reaction score
You can also download the edit software for the POD HD500X, that way you can tweak your tones on your PC rather than the unit itself and save $200.

UncurableZero

Reaction score
If you want to keep your current amp but get a djenty tone then maybe an AMT pedal preamp is something you should consider. They have a 5150, Engl, Rectifier and Diezel pedals which all sound pretty good.
Personally I would sell the amp and the Boss ME and get a POD HD or X3 with a pair of studio monitors.
Alternatively a recording interface with VSTs and Impulse Responses will give you better recording tones and infinite tweaking options, if that's your thing.

seekky123

Reaction score
so right now i'm thinking to get rid of this amp, and keep the cab. i really like the cab tbh.

what do you guys think? so i have to get a power amp now?
how about Art SLA-1?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you can find a Matrix power amp, do eet nao.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The X3 and XT's are the same models, the HD's are the newer ones that are all different (or so I'm told).

The X3's are good, though you're right, they are getting a bit dated now, which is good for you since that means the price is going nowhere but down for used units. I think AAL's first album was done with an X3, though I can't quite remember where I read that. In any case, it sounds very much like the 'big bottom' model on the X3.

I'm still using a toneport for bedroom playing (same as the XT and X3) and I like the tones I get. They do take alot of tweaking though, they're very bright, tight and scooped sounding and it takes work to get a good sound. I've been using these units for like 5 years or more though, so I don't have much issue with them anymore.

Theres a big long thread on PodXT eqing tips from years back that would be a big help dialing in tones if you go down this route. I could probably write a book on the 'big bottom' model (my favorite).