What to do with my tax return?

• Thread starter russmuller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Credit card. I have made that mistake before. Now I have no more credit cards and only buy what I can pay cash for (car and house excluded). Credit cards are the biggest ripoff known to man.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Credit card. I have made that mistake before. Now I have no more credit cards and only buy what I can pay cash for (car and house excluded). Credit cards are the biggest ripoff known to man.

This. I HATE credit cards. I use them, but pay the balance off as soon as I possibly can (i.e. within a week). They lull you into thinking that:

a) You have more money than you ACTUALLY do.
b) That you can afford stuff outside your means.
c) It's perfectly fine to carry a giant balance other than your car and house.

Pay off the credit card and start a savings account for an Axe FX. Put a $200 or so in there a month and you won't have to wait THAT long before you can pick up a used one.

tedtan

Reaction score
Another option - if you are young (teens or early twenties) that refund could be close to a million dollars US by the time you retire at 65 or 70 if you invest it in a 401k or IRA. I know delayed gratification sucks, but its worth considering, especially if you don't have a 401k or IRA already.

If not this, then credit card.

Reaction score
Oh decisions, decisions! I got my W-2's in the mail today and ran through Turbo Tax. Looks like I will be getting about $1,700 back from Uncle Sam. There are so many things to do with that money... So I thought I'd ask for opinions.

1. Axe-FX II: that would get me most of the way there.
2. Complete project guitars: I've got 3 slow-moving guitar projects that could be blasted pretty much to the finish line.
3. Carvin DC800 custom: Carvin has expressed a willingness to do something slightly unique for me.
4. Black Water Guitar Co 8-string down payment: would take a lot longer and be more expensive, and I've never even played a multiscale before.
5. Pay off a credit card.

With my budget for the year, I should be able to afford an Axe as a Christmas present to myself, but sooner is better than later, eh?

Nothing wrong with carrying a credit card balance and making regular consistant payments over several years. Thats how you establish credit so later on you can get an auto loan and then a house loan. Judging from the enthusiastic response around here I'd just blow your tax return on a AxeFx II and have fun with your bad self. I mean it seriously makes some amazing tones and you'll probably spends weeks tweaking and fucking with it until your ears start to ring day and night but you'll be having fun. Waiting for a custom guitar to get built sounds boring. So does farting around working on three projects as well. Sitting in room practicing or gigging is one of those simple pleasures that make life worthwhile.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with carrying a credit card balance and making regular consistant payments over several years. Thats how you establish credit so later on you can get an auto loan and then a house loan. Judging from the enthusiastic response around here I'd just blow your tax return on a AxeFx II and have fun with your bad self. I mean it seriously makes some amazing tones and you'll probably spends weeks tweaking and fucking with it until your ears start to ring day and night but you'll be having fun. Waiting for a custom guitar to get built sounds boring. So does farting around working on three projects as well. Sitting in room practicing or gigging is one of those simple pleasures that make life worthwhile.

I'm sorry, but this is just terrible advice. If you can't afford to pay for a vehicle in full, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. You can get a lot of great commuter vehicles for a few thousand dollars. Taking out an loan to buy something that is going to depreciate in value and you are also paying interest on top of that? Fuck that.
If you want to buy a house, then start saving up. If you set aside a nice down payment and have a steady paycheque then you will get approved for a mortgage. If you can't save money, you definitely can't afford to own a home.

Pay off your credit card. You will feel so much better! You can then set aside a bit of cash every month that you would have instead payed towards those payments and get yourself a nice guitar and pay for it in full ;)

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Pay off your credit card. You will feel so much better! You can then set aside a bit of cash every month that you would have instead payed towards those payments and get yourself a nice guitar and pay for it in full ;)

+1...obviously :lol:

I'm sorry, but this is just terrible advice. If you can't afford to pay for a vehicle in full, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. You can get a lot of great commuter vehicles for a few thousand dollars. Taking out an loan to buy something that is going to depreciate in value and you are also paying interest on top of that? Fuck that.
If you want to buy a house, then start saving up. If you set aside a nice down payment and have a steady paycheque then you will get approved for a mortgage. If you can't save money, you definitely can't afford to own a home.

Maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but I know of very few people who went out and paid for their cars with cash. I would definitely list a car as being on the short list for justifiable "unaffordable purchases" as they tend to be expensive but completely necessary depending on where you live and work. And while you can pick up good commuter vehicles for a few grand, some people don't like to buy used because they don't know what exactly happened with the car prior to buying it.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score

Cars for a couple grand are fine.. until you end up spending more in repairs and possibly gas (as newer cars tend to have better mpg) than you would've spent in car payments. Been there and done that for oh, 15 years.. I bought a 2012 from a dealer.. and knowing for sure that its gonna get me where I'm going is worth the $315 a month.

and I've thought about the OP alot more, as Im in the same boat with tax time here.. and I'm still paying off every credit related item I can, then putting whatevers left against my car.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Cars for a couple grand are fine.. until you end up spending more in repairs and possibly gas (as newer cars tend to have better mpg) than you would've spent in car payments. Been there and done that for oh, 15 years.. I bought a 2012 from a dealer.. and knowing for sure that its gonna get me where I'm going is worth the $315 a month.

and I've thought about the OP alot more, as Im in the same boat with tax time here.. and I'm still paying off every credit related item I can, then putting whatevers left against my car.

I'd much rather put that money towards paying off my mortgage. I've never owed on a vehicle. I will also be mortgage free by 33. You're going to be paying $315/mo for how long? 60 months? I've got quite a few friends in the car business. I know the game. You're getting screwed either way :lol: Banks make a killing off financing deals. They shower these guys with tons of gifts based on how much financing they give them. Even still, I own a nice car and a $1500 daily driver that has over half a million kilometers on it. I much prefer driving the shitbox over the nicer car anyways :lol:

Bottom line. Be smart with your money, think of the long-term! $315 a month is definitely not a lot of money to drive a nice, new car. But, I'd rather pay off my mortgage more aggressively than carry a car loan. :)

Looking back at the amount of money I lost on depreciation of vehicles. I could have had an axe fx II, kemper and a few crazy custom guitars with all that money ;)

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
I'd much rather put that money towards paying off my mortgage. I've never owed on a vehicle. I will also be mortgage free by 33. You're going to be paying $315/mo for how long? 60 months? I've got quite a few friends in the car business. I know the game. You're getting screwed either way :lol: Banks make a killing off financing deals. They shower these guys with tons of gifts based on how much financing they give them. Even still, I own a nice car and a $1500 daily driver that has over half a million kilometers on it. I much prefer driving the shitbox over the nicer car anyways :lol:

Bottom line. Be smart with your money, think of the long-term! $315 a month is definitely not a lot of money to drive a nice, new car. But, I'd rather pay off my mortgage more aggressively than carry a car loan. :)

Looking back at the amount of money I lost on depreciation of vehicles. I could have had an axe fx II, kemper and a few crazy custom guitars with all that money ;)

Not sure if you have a family/job/school/band or not.. but I do. In my situation, I find that reliable supercedes cheap.

My credit is sweet, interest rate on car and house is way low.. so after 9 years in my house..then 5 years with my car, I will be clear on them both.. and its all because *used my tax refunds to pay down credit* :lol: :hbang: So the way of the credit cant be all that bad bro... So what if someone made a buck from me. Thats kinda how things work. I cost a chunk of change and all I do is build/fix swimming pools.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
My car was cheap and is reliable. Haven't put a single penny into it aside from oil changes. I use it for business on a daily basis. ;)

I just don't like to feel being in debt. You never know what might happen in life. Relying on credit is just not something that makes me feel secure in life. I can't wait to be debt free. Once that mortgage is paid off... no one will have me by the balls except my wife ;)

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
I sold my PRS Santana 25th Anniversary about two months ago, and I had the option to buy an entire new rig, a recording set up, or finish tattoos. I opted to pay off two credit cards and put all but 200 into savings. The feeling of not having those annoying bills every month is greater than any gear IMO. That being said, an Axe FX is kinda awesome . . . .

Cremated

Reaction score

It just all depends on your situation. I got a loan for a new car and I feel like that wasn't a bad decision at all. I'm a landlord in addition to my day job, where I make o-rings for aircrafts, etc. Paying off a car for me isn't a big deal because I live rent/mortgage free with free utilities, etc. So the car loan is one of my only bills, along with insurance for the car. Plus the car payment is only $246 a month so I can pay double or whatever to get it paid off faster. They do rape you with interest but the reliability beats having to put hundreds of dollars into a '95 Accord every other month. Just my opinion.

Depending on how bad your debt is, you could pay half of it off and do the rest in payments. Maybe you could still afford something nice for yourself. Not trying to give you bad advice though. The debt is the most important thing, so only do payments if you're capable of making them. It will build your credit more too.