What version of Pod Farm is this?

• Thread starter GalacticDeath
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I've never used Pod Farm before, but I want to try it out. I noticed there's videos of people using what seems to be a more basic version of Pod Farm. For example, in this video I noticed the plugin says "Pod Farm Preamps" instead of "Pod Farm 2.5". Is this a different version of Pod Farm, like a more basic or demo version?

All I see on the Line 6 website is Pod Farm 2.5, I don't see this version.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's from "Elements" which are individual plug-ins from POD Farm 2.5.

@nickgray is right though, this is old (2010 or older, probably closer to like 2005) Line 6 modeling, so unless you're going for a throwback vibe, there's tons of free stuff that can be better depending on what you're working on.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
It's from "Elements" which are individual plug-ins from POD Farm 2.5.

@nickgray is right though, this is old (2010 or older, probably closer to like 2005) Line 6 modeling, so unless you're going for a throwback vibe, there's tons of free stuff that can be better depending on what you're working on.

I see, thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a different version of Pod Farm. I'm aware it's an older modeler. I have newer amp sims as well, but I never got around to trying this one and I still see some people use it from time to time. I've always liked the production of albums before 2010, so I guess I am going for a bit of a throwback.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Max got it, it's included in 2.5 as these individual elements. There's a tuner one which is still my favorite VST tuner, a distortion one, a reverb one, an amp one, etc...

Gotta say though, the American Classic preamp is essential to all of my best tones I've made. It's an absolutely fantastic addition and is the perfect set-and-forget tone enhancer. I use it daily and haven't found any alternatives that produce the same result in the way I like it. Sometimes I may do a slight 240 cut or 10-12.5k boost but normally I leave it stock, it's just that big of a change that they somehow nailed right from the start.

It's really good even outside of the classic Sturgis/Chango metalcore sound, I use it on everything man haha. I use it to add "life" to otherwise lifeless amp tones. If you give me a little bit I can upload a comparison to show what sort of difference it makes.

I'm fairly certain the stock American Classic settings are what the "Magic" setting is in the JST Toneforge plugins.

With something like Slate's Virtual Mix Rack you could probably make something similar with a few of the EQs and maybe the FG-Bomber set to be fairly light.

Last edited:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
People did great things with Pod Farm back then but you can get tones in under a minute with new amp sims that took half an hour with pod farm. I’d love to see it make a comeback if only to see everyone scratching their heads wether to ditch their new sims and dig up their pod farm licence

I'm fairly certain the stock American Classic settings are what the "Magic" setting is in the JST Toneforge plugins

I’ve heard that before and a few people mentioned one of his amp sims, menace I think was an EQ match of his pod farm signal chain.

what’s your full signal chain look like with that preamp?

Masoo2

Reaction score
People did great things with Pod Farm back then but you can get tones in under a minute with new amp sims that took half an hour with pod farm. I’d love to see it make a comeback if only to see everyone scratching their heads wether to ditch their new sims and dig up their pod farm licence
I’ve heard that before and a few people mentioned one of his amp sims, menace I think was an EQ match of his pod farm signal chain.
what’s your full signal chain look like with that preamp?
Seriously man, people REALLY underestimate what you can do with POD Farm these days. In addition to the American Classic and tuner, I still use the amp heads from time to time because they pair REALLY nicely with decent IRs. I also bought John Browne's POD X3 tones from back when he sold a Monuments tone bundle and it's surprising how decent the tones are. If you want the early-2010s djent sound of Vildhjarta, Monuments, TesseracT, Uneven Structure, early Polyphia, etc there's no better plugin imo. POD Farm just has a really steep learning curve to nail as it's incredibly easy to make horrendous tones with it. Of course, a lot of things I've moved on from using, for example I used to rely heavily on the Boost + EQ stompbox but I've found that the CT Pre in TH-3/TH-U works a bit better for that TC Electronic Integrated Preamp sound.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J5v0zHSQg_Zas82B4Au-cV8XmLeE7wMn?usp=sharing

Listen Helix Tone > Helix + Preamp > Full Processing NO Preamp > Full Processing. The first two are just my Helix Native tone without and with American Classic, where as the latter two demonstrates my full chain without and with American Classic. It's a stupid long guitar chain but the heavy lifting is done through American Classic, Waves Renaissance Axx, Slate FG-Bomber, Softube Saturation Knob, and Waves PuigTec EQP1A. Definitely overboard but that's how I've gotten used to setting up my chains after years of struggling with plugins.

This is the tone I've been using for some Alpha Wolf/Dealer/Thornhill/Kublai Khan/Knocked Loose type stuff. Definitely not a natural sounding tone. It's brighter and more distorted than what I usually go for, but for the style I've gotten it to fit in a mix pretty well. I also use this setup for pitch shifting, such as in this case from Drop A to Drop F#, but also going really low (like E1 down to B0) so the added brightness and compression really helps with that.

Also in the folder are two other SL files of a different, slightly lower gain tone I made in TH-3 in a less obnoxious context showing the difference between the full chain with and without American Classic. I use this for more Counterparts/Trade Wind/Silent Planet type stuff where rolling off the volume cleans up the tone a bit.

I mentioned B0 above, here's a short cover I made a few years back after binging on the stuff put out by ex-Extortionist guitarist Jared/Jay Sweepz/Crimewave, this was his gaming channel's intro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmNbwKUrqN3eKmGR6g9p0dj5OOp3dbop/view?usp=sharing

Made the tone brighter nowadays and cringe thinking about bad the snare and toms sound, but regardless it shows how decent the tone worked out pitch shifted that low.

Trust me though, I go overboard with this processing stuff because quite honestly I don't like most IRs on the market so I tend to resort to stock cabs and post-processing. Probably the few IRs I've thought sounded decent was the Ryan Harvey cabs in TSE X50, the old s-preshigh, and the Julep IR from the Telos Mini Free IR pack. Contrastingly, I really don't like Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab IRs. Guess it goes to show that I'm a student of the older Brian Hood and Sturgis/Mizell sound, I used to LOVE going on the Sneap forum and eagerly awaited new videos from Hood and Sturgis before URM/Nail The Mix became so commercialized. I'm also a big fan of the new TesseracT tone if you couldn't tell, Acle does similarly large amounts of processing and their newer sound is insanely bright.

If I had a Kemper I'd buy Will Putney's, Acle Kahney's, and Lance Prenc's packs, but for the time being these sounds work out really well for me.

Apologies for the wall of text.

Last edited:

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
Max got it, it's included in 2.5 as these individual elements. There's a tuner one which is still my favorite VST tuner, a distortion one, a reverb one, an amp one, etc...

Gotta say though, the American Classic preamp is essential to all of my best tones I've made. It's an absolutely fantastic addition and is the perfect set-and-forget tone enhancer. I use it daily and haven't found any alternatives that produce the same result in the way I like it. Sometimes I may do a slight 240 cut or 10-12.5k boost but normally I leave it stock, it's just that big of a change that they somehow nailed right from the start.

It's really good even outside of the classic Sturgis/Chango metalcore sound, I use it on everything man haha. I use it to add "life" to otherwise lifeless amp tones. If you give me a little bit I can upload a comparison to show what sort of difference it makes.

I'm fairly certain the stock American Classic settings are what the "Magic" setting is in the JST Toneforge plugins.

With something like Slate's Virtual Mix Rack you could probably make something similar with a few of the EQs and maybe the FG-Bomber set to be fairly light.

That's awesome man, I'd love to hear a comparison to hear how you use it in your tones. I've seen a couple of videos with the American Classic preamp, and was pretty impressed with how it enhances the tone of an amp sim.
I remember getting pretty decent tones from my PodXT but I never got around to trying Pod Farm. I'll finally be buying it later today probably haha

Masoo2

Reaction score
That's awesome man, I'd love to hear a comparison to hear how you use it in your tones. I've seen a couple of videos with the American Classic preamp, and was pretty impressed with how it enhances the tone of an amp sim.
I remember getting pretty decent tones from my PodXT but I never got around to trying Pod Farm. I'll finally be buying it later today probably haha
If you still have the POD XT you should be able to get POD Farm added to your account free of charge, POD XTs act as hardware keys for the software. I use my POD X3 as a hardware key for POD Farm Platinum these days as it was MUCH cheaper than buying the $299 plugin and I kinda wanted to see what tones I could get on the unit by itself.

Also, American Classic is included in the free version of POD Farm, so if you just download the trial or whatever it's included. It's great because sometimes I forget/don't feel like plugin my X3 into my computer yet I can still run all of my plugin chains with American Classic. Years ago I ran a UX1 interface as a hardware key for POD Farm standard, but honestly just didn't want to pay the extra money for the metal shop pack when a used POD X3 wasn't that much more expensive back then.

Added some sound samples above if you didn't notice them.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
If you still have the POD XT you should be able to get POD Farm added to your account free of charge, POD XTs act as hardware keys for the software. I use my POD X3 as a hardware key for POD Farm Platinum these days as it was MUCH cheaper than buying the $299 plugin and I kinda wanted to see what tones I could get on the unit by itself.

Also, American Classic is included in the free version of POD Farm, so if you just download the trial or whatever it's included. It's great because sometimes I forget/don't feel like plugin my X3 into my computer yet I can still run all of my plugin chains with American Classic. Years ago I ran a UX1 interface as a hardware key for POD Farm standard, but honestly just didn't want to pay the extra money for the metal shop pack when a used POD X3 wasn't that much more expensive back then.

Added some sound samples above if you didn't notice them.

Awesome man, thanks for including those audio clips, pretty interesting to hear how it changes the tone. That really low tuned track still sounded surprisingly clear for how low it is, sounds sick.
Also thanks for the tip, you just saved me $99. I didn't even know that there was a trial version of Pod Farm or that the PodXT could be used as a hardware key. I thought it was only the Toneport and PodStudio models that could do that. Anyway, I just downloaded it. I'll be trying that American Classic preamp on my current guitar chain and see what kind of results I can get out of it.