What Would a Decent Affordable 7-string Acoustic Include

MrChunky

Reaction score
I never understood why more companies weren't making more affordable production options for the 7 and 8-string players? :nuts:

If we could have a company build us an affordable acoustic sevenstring, what would the specifications be?

Steel string or nylon?
What type of tuners?
What type of neck wood?
What type of wood for the back and sides?
Should the back be solid or laminate and why?
What type of top wood?
What scale length?
Would it be a cutaway?
What else?
What do we consider affordable if a case is included?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
^ always working the room! :lol:

MrChunky - I got an Ibanez AEL207E earlier this year and love it. Personally I couldn't have designed one better for that price. Great 7 string for the money. :yesway:

AEL207E.jpg

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Because economics.

This. There's unfortunately not a huge market for extended range acoustics.

However, the Agile 8 and that Ibanez AEL are pretty damned cheap, both are guitars I'm wanting to pick up. Ibanez also makes a nylon 8, I think someone on here actually bought one not too long ago...

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
It would be Ibanez, or hopefully have a sliiiightly extended scale to accommodate the low b string. But that's just what I would want.

rjg3000

Reaction score
I've played the Ibanez that was referenced. It was surprisingly nice and the low B sounded great! Wasn't sure what the string guage was but it didn't feel particularly floppy.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

MrChunky - I got an Ibanez AEL207E earlier this year and love it. Personally I couldn't have designed one better for that price. Great 7 string for the money. :yesway:

Sweet looking guitar, man. What's the neck like on it? Flat, rounded? I'm interested in getting another acoustic as my Alvarez was stolen last year. Never played an acoustic 7 string or an Ibanez acoustic for that matter, but as I've recently gotten back into playing 7's I've been eyeballin some 7 string acoustics.

MrChunky

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I will polute this thread with my own opinions, since no one else will.

Steel string Why? I prefer the sound.
What type of tuners? Undecided
Mahogany neck wood. Why? For the Depth and Presence
Solid Rosewood or Maple back and sides. Why? They sound great! Deep and Bright.
I like the sound of a solid back, but Laminate is often more stable. Still I say Solid.
What type of top wood? Cedar or Spruce for projection, but a thin veneer of Flame Maple would look cool.
I like a 25" scale length, but 26 1/2" would cool, too.
Definitely a cutaway?
What else? even if it was a nylon, I would include a truss rod. maybe stainless steel frets, and some nice inlay and a matching headstock veneer.
What do we consider affordable if a case is included? $600-800

If you disagree, make the list here.

Steel string or nylon?
What type of tuners?
What type of neck wood?
What type of wood for the back and sides?
Should the back be solid or laminate and why?
What type of top wood?
What scale length?
Would it be a cutaway?
What else?
What do we consider affordable if a case is included?

MrChunky

Reaction score

AEL207E.jpg

Hey DAF57, I like the flame maple top and the headstock is cool. What woods are used? and what is the finish?