What's better, a RG1527 or Esp 407?

• Thread starter moojimoo3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
I've kinda changed my mind in guitars; which is better, an Ibanez RG-1527 or an ESP-407? Please help, you sevenstring dudes :D

Thanks,
Arooj

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The 407:

- Is Ugly (I hate SG's) :noway:
- Has active EMG's. :yesway:
- Is Ugly. :noway:
- If the neck is anything like my 307, is great. :yesway:
- Has Grover Tuners. :yesway: :yesway:
- Has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. :noway:
- Is Mahogany
- Is Ugly. :noway:

The 1527:

- Is an Ibanez. :yesway:
- Is the always-stylish RG body shape. :yesway:
- Will probably come with pickups that you want to throw away. :noway:
- Has the Wizard 7 neck, which is a breeze to play. :yesway:
- Has the Edge Pro 7 bridge. :yesway: / :noway: (still better than the ESP)
- Is Basswood

Go for the 'nez. :cool:

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
well which ones the best quality??? i dont know really i mean i only need 1 EMG 707 in the ibanez and the Sg i woodnt do anything to

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez is probably better all around, but the ESP does have a hardtail, if you like them. I personally would rather the ibanez pickups cause i dont like EMGs that much.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
moojimoo3 said:
well which ones the best quality??? i dont know really i mean i only need 1 EMG 707 in the ibanez and the Sg i woodnt do anything to

You need your entire guitar to sound good, amigo. ;)

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
i want to play metal so whats better emgs or dimarzio blazes or what ever they were ?? i want my sound like unearths possibly thanks Chris again and Hatebreeder

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
EMGs are good for one thing: Kick Ass thrash metal rythm guitar tone.
But i prefer DiMarzio blazes cause they sound really balanced, and have a killer lead tone as well as a good rythm tone. I find them great for playing stuff such as Carcass & Morbid Angel

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
Unearth hav EMG707s as there birdge pick up and the other i hav no idea thanks Hatebreeder

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there's a lot more to getting your favorite artist's tone than the axe and pickup. ;) The sound you hear on their album is produced, mixed, mastered, layered... You get the idea.

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
moojimoo3 said:
Unearth hav EMG707s as there birdge pick up and the other i hav no idea thanks Hatebreeder

thats all they use actually.

I dont own either a 407 or 1527, but I do own both of their close cousins, the viper400 (which is beautiful, you guys just dont have any taste ;) ) and the Ibanez RG7620.

The Viper has some custom factory upgrades, but nothing that effects tone.
Save a lot of very custom made dents and scratches, the 7620 is also stock.

These are completely different beasts. Playabillity being the first thing to note. The viper neck is larger than the Ibanez, but dont be fooled. Despite borrowing its DNA from a Gibson, the neck profiles are much slimmer than your average gibson offering. Schecter diamond series guitars make a great comparison, since they basically are the same thing as LTDs (same company, made in the same factory) and use the same neck design on many models.

The Ibanez is definitely going to be the more ballanced of the two, considering its tone woods and pickups. The viper by comparison is warmer, darker, and has more punch.

I have no idea what kind of amp you run, but I will say for my "serious rig" the Ibanez is kinda problematic for me. I run a Mesa single recto and Marshall1960a cab. I can get some suprisingly really sweet clean tones from the ibanez, and some decent more classic style mid gain sounds, but for an all out metalcore sound (ala Unearth, which seems to your aim) I just cant seem to dial in anything fantastic.

The Viper is a different story. To get useable (not beautiful) cleans takes a lot of creative EQ and volume knob use (but that is for 81s, 85s or 707s are much nicer in this respect). But when it comes to high-gain time, the Viper MURDERS the Ibanez, no contest at all. A while ago I had an Ibanez (basswood body/maple neck) w/ EMGs and while it handled modern metal sounds much better than my 7620, it still couldnt tople the Viper.

On other notes, while the viper does a pretty good fit and finish, the Ibanez (any Japanese Ibanez really) is the clear winner. While Ive found nothing but the most minute of cosmetic flaws on my Viper, all the japanese Ibanez's that have passed through my hands have been flawless in fit and finish. Id even go so far as say even Korean Ibanezs that Ive had were consistantly better. Should this be a deciding factor? Not unless you have an incredible attention to detail and let the smallest of flaws bug you.

Ultimately since you mention the almighty Unearth, Id say the Viper is going to be for you. Spec-wise its much much closer to what they play (the discontinued Ibanez S 7strings) than a 1527 will ever be. Sure you could add EMGs to the Ibanez, but its not going to change the fact that its basswood, where as Unearth uses primarily mahogany bodied guitars.

edit:

to answer the topic question you posted, I would actually say overall the Ibanez is better, just perhaps not for your particular need.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, now that i tihnk about it, i read in a guitar mag they used the RG1527 & The S7420. But i have no idea what they've done to them beyond put pickups in them.

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Actually, now that i tihnk about it, i read in a guitar mag they used the RG1527 & The S7420. But i have no idea what they've done to them beyond put pickups in them.

The one with long metalhead hair (dont remember his name) has used RG7s here and there, but from the numerouse times Ive seen them both guitarists used S7's.

And yeah, as I said in the other post the real key to that sound (IMO) goes in this order AMP/Cab > EMG > guitar

eviltoaster

Reaction score
i have to say i HAD two blaze pus in my esp!i changed the bridge to an seymour duncan jeff beck because the rhythm sound sucked....(it's probably better in basswood-guitars)

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
thanks guys that really helped me out ,im kinda poor so ill go for the ibanez 1527 and throw in some EMG 707's ,and the unearth guitarists names are (the long haired one) Buz McGrath and Ken Susi (the short ass mainiac) thats again guys!!!!!!

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
i run a Laney 30mxd amp and i may change to Line6 spider II if my guitar sounds poo on my laney ,what you guys think??

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
moojimoo3 said:
i run a Laney 30mxd amp and i may change to Line6 spider II if my guitar sounds poo on my laney ,what you guys think??

I think you'd be better off saving up more and buying a better amp.

Latest posts