What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Where do you find your headless hardware? All I can find are either the stupid expensive stuff or the cheap Chinese parts for bass not really any middle ground for 6 or 7 stringers.

I'm trying out these ones. Been eyeing them for a while and looking for reviews but I've seen nothing so I'm just gonna give it a go.

They aren't cheap but they aren't terrible.

s-l400.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=192600914429

jemfloral

Reaction score
picked up some more maple tops
45401447594_7b5fcd159f_c.jpg

That top is insanely nice! Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with it @KnightBrolaire

Oh and as far as the fan itself, its 26.5" to 25.5" and the straight fret is at the 6th. I've never like the straight fret ~12 because chords get weird on the low frets. I'd have gone like Strandberg does on the 6ers (straight at the zero) but the high frets lean way too much for my taste. Seemed like the best of both worlds.

As far as the scale, I had a Schecter at 26.5" and the low strings felt fine for F# with an 80. Im a low tension guy, and I'd have preferred 24.75" for the treble side but the fan starts to get too much for me at that range.... Maybe in the future depending on how this goes.

@Randy I'm in the same boat. My favorite guitar is my strandberg OS7 (26.25" - 25.5"), and am hoping someday to find a way to make an eight that extends those scales down to an eighth string (i.e. essentially a 26.5" eighth string scale). I can deal with a little flop, knowing that the guitar fits my hands the best. Looking forward to your build!

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
@jemfloral
that particular quilt is prob going to be a teal color with black edges, or maybe a prs dragon type fade with shades of green. i've got some other builds i need to finish up before anything happens with it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Randy I'm in the same boat. My favorite guitar is my strandberg OS7 (26.25" - 25.5"), and am hoping someday to find a way to make an eight that extends those scales down to an eighth string (i.e. essentially a 26.5" eighth string scale). I can deal with a little flop, knowing that the guitar fits my hands the best. Looking forward to your build!

Great minds, etc :lol:

Where's the straight fret on those? ~12th fret, right? Honestly, I'm not much of a fanned guy but I think it's got it's use and I'd like to really find the sweet spot between scale and fret placement. I played my brother in law's 8-strings (all straight scale) over the Thanksgiving break and man, I remembered how much I hate the tension on those high strings once you get the scale long enough to get F# to intonate without a bridge suspension cable for strings.

Functionally, I've definitely warmed up to the RANGE on an 8 string but haven't found a happy medium on how to get that and still feel as comfy as a 6 on the other strings. I've got a Variax that kinda handles that duty fine (i've got it programmed to changing tuning a half step with every position of the pickup selector) but it's expensive technology, limited aesthetic choices and I hate fucking batteries. Hopefully I don't end up building a dozen fanned guitars before I find a solution :lol:

Not to tip my hand too much, but this fretboard is already married up with a neck and a body; it deliberately moved really quick. Not that it's going to be any big revolutionary thing but I made a 'sister' guitar to this one last year in 6-strings, now I've got the 8 so I'm thinking of making a 7-stringer before I roll them all out in a NGD. We'll see how patient I remain.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Yes they are. I had some buzzing on the saddles so I recut them but it looks like they've updated the saddle design so that's good. Otherwise stable on tuning, bit stiff to turn but I figure less likely to move itself while playing heh. I also used some short 3mm screws to lock the tuner instead of those large brass thumb wheels, much cleaner look.

jemfloral

Reaction score
Great minds, etc :lol:

Where's the straight fret on those? ~12th fret, right? Honestly, I'm not much of a fanned guy but I think it's got it's use and I'd like to really find the sweet spot between scale and fret placement. I played my brother in law's 8-strings (all straight scale) over the Thanksgiving break and man, I remembered how much I hate the tension on those high strings once you get the scale long enough to get F# to intonate without a bridge suspension cable for strings.

I'm 90% sure the OS7's (and CL7's, if you can find one) are a ninth-fret parallel setup. Strandberg 28"-26.5" 8 stringers have a parallel 7th fret, and the other non-OS 7's (25.75"-25") have a parallel 5th fret. For me, the OS7 scale and neutral fret just feels right.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really want to build an exact copy of a padalka neptune, but a copy somehow feels.... Lame.

I'm there with you. Stuff that's out there already definitely serves as a big inspiration but if I like something THAT much that I really want to build one (as opposed to just buying one), I've always gotta do it with a twist. The last thing you'd want is for your identity (whether you're a professional or just building for yourself) as a builder to just be that you make cheap copies of other people's stuff.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I'm there with you. Stuff that's out there already definitely serves as a big inspiration but if I like something THAT much that I really want to build one (as opposed to just buying one), I've always gotta do it with a twist. The last thing you'd want is for your identity (whether you're a professional or just building for yourself) as a builder to just be that you make cheap copies of other people's stuff.

IMG_20181205_084412_1544028641930.jpg

Sketched this on my way to work this morning. I think it's about what I want. And not exactly the same as padalka or even a Boden.

Hum-P90 because I've always wanted to try it.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
If you know it, can you share the range of height and intonation adjustment on the saddles? I want to start designing my build.

Lowest saddle height setting is the main concern.

Lowest saddle height = 12mm from bottom of mount
Highest saddle height = 15.6mm from bottom of mount
Intonation adjustment = 11.8mm