What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
What tool/combo of tools do you use for this? So clean and they look like artillery shells \m/

Half round and round shape, not very fun on super hard woods like Ebony, you'll want something more coarse imo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thesius

Reaction score
I bought this project recently. I haven't seen it in person yet cause my buddy in a different city picked it up for me. Just needs an FRX and jumbo frets and I think it's good to go. Not my usual style of guitar, but it was a cool impulse buy. The lotr inlay somehow makes it slightly less gaudy. If it didn't have that it would be bordering too close on that "white guy who is too into Viking culture, but he's definitely not racist" kinda style

Messenger_creation_24d9be43-fc36-4c39-99fc-deadfcee0f7a.jpeg

cip 123

Reaction score
This finish was an absolute pain. I knew it would be but still it sucked to do. Masking off the binding didn't really help it was still really easy to bleed in to the ash, so I had to just go round the edges with a q-tip and then clean up bleed. And I think I oversaturated the maple with black, but I really don't wanna sand it and do it again so we'll have to rock with this. Black with purple highlights.
IMG_8593.jpg

lost_horizon

Reaction score
This finish was an absolute pain. I knew it would be but still it sucked to do. Masking off the binding didn't really help it was still really easy to bleed in to the ash, so I had to just go round the edges with a q-tip and then clean up bleed. And I think I oversaturated the maple with black, but I really don't wanna sand it and do it again so we'll have to rock with this. Black with purple highlights.
View attachment 141389
Looks killer, looks like veins popping out top left

cip 123

Reaction score
Looks killer, looks like veins popping out top left
Thank you! Yea all those darker lines of figure turn purple in the light at an angle. It has the correct effect I wanted, but think I definitely got a bit too much black in the maple particularly on the right side between the pickups. But at least I know for next time.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I want another zebrawood fretboard. It has a wonderful texture to it. PME definitely looks prettier, though.

brontology

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what's been on my bench - a soon-to-be working proof-of-concept (or not). poplar body w/maple neck. first time doing fanned frets by hand, we'll see how i did- frets and nut going in tonight, bridge tomorrow. first pic is the idea, 2,3 are construction to date. lots of carving to do this weekend!

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 12
  • top view-SMALL.jpg
    top view-SMALL.jpg
    762.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 7 Multi Start.jpg
    7 Multi Start.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 12

Thesius

Reaction score
This random project guitar I bought in Japan like 2 years ago. The bottom horn has to be cut back cause it is ugly as hell. Not sure what exactly I'm going to do with it still, but it reminded me of a Vandenberg/Warlock mix and was cheap

IMG_20240405_074643.jpg

cip 123

Reaction score
is that limba/walnut? it looks great! oil finish? satin poly? i've always been interested in this body style, also thought of building one to try it out. excellent workmanship.
Thanks! Black Limba and Ovangkol. Ovangkol is highly underrated imo, it's used on a lot of cheap guitars but the timber is not expensive and it looks fantastic. It's a very comfy shape so kudos to Abasi and designers involved. I've taken some creative liberties with the design in terms of the carving and neck joint.

Oil Finish, once this process is finished (couple weeks) it'll get a wax over the top for a semi gloss finish. It's not the most protective against chips/dents but it looks good.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Killer 👍 Fret slotting is my least favorite part of a build, and that's on cheap fretboards

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks! Black Limba and Ovangkol. Ovangkol is highly underrated imo, it's used on a lot of cheap guitars but the timber is not expensive and it looks fantastic. It's a very comfy shape so kudos to Abasi and designers involved. I've taken some creative liberties with the design in terms of the carving and neck joint.

Oil Finish, once this process is finished (couple weeks) it'll get a wax over the top for a semi gloss finish. It's not the most protective against chips/dents but it looks good.

I believe Ovangkol is very popular in Germany w/ Warwick basses. I'm a fan.