What's on your workbench?

• Thread starter Walterson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
I believe Ovangkol is very popular in Germany w/ Warwick basses. I'm a fan.
For sure, I think they use if for necks and fingerboards, even some bodies. I see it mostly used as cheap-er back/sides for acoustics, and fingerboard on cheaper electrics/acoustics.

Nice timber I'll take it over rosewood any day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChAoZ

Build Addict
Reaction score
I have made a lot of guitars - but never one for me, so I decided it was about time, 7 string of course
Swamp Ash body with a 6.5mm Maple top - I love the look of trans blue Maple
Flame Maple neck with a Paduak accent in the scarf joint - first time trying this
AAA Ziricote fretboard 25.5" scale length and a 20" radius, will be fully bound with blue pearloid

438094939_878433780720430_4773303736231701044_n.jpg426581689_396028873183383_3074500741696528832_n.jpg

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Looks great! What's your finish process? You mention oil and wax... Linseed and hardwax?

cip 123

Reaction score
Looks great! What's your finish process? You mention oil and wax... Linseed and hardwax?
Dis
then dis

I actually need to experiment more with different oils but that wax is fantastic

cip 123

Reaction score
Damnnnn don't set off the fire alarm with that flame

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Love a high polish ebony board, my Majesty was the first guitar to turn me on to that.

cip 123

Reaction score
Is that wenge in the scarf joint? Looks great. How did you achieve such a close EBMM style "roast" on it? It looks like the first pic of the neck, before whatever process you did, had a layer of finish on it, no?
Yea, 6mm wenge (probably closer to 5 after surfacing). Roasting is nothing to to with me, I ordered it from Timberline here in the UK - https://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk/

They supply great quality woods.

As far as finishing I used Peacock oils from Skelton Saws. I think I just used the Clear Honey, because I didn't really want to introduce any more colour tints. But I might have used their Amber, can't quite recall.

If you're referring to the difference between the two pics of the whiter maple and darker roasted maple, those are 2 different necks. The standard flame maple is for an Abasi Build, the Roasted maple is for a custom 7 string tele. They should both be finished at the start of next month.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yea, 6mm wenge (probably closer to 5 after surfacing). Roasting is nothing to to with me, I ordered it from Timberline here in the UK - https://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk/

They supply great quality woods.

As far as finishing I used Peacock oils from Skelton Saws. I think I just used the Clear Honey, because I didn't really want to introduce any more colour tints. But I might have used their Amber, can't quite recall.

If you're referring to the difference between the two pics of the whiter maple and darker roasted maple, those are 2 different necks. The standard flame maple is for an Abasi Build, the Roasted maple is for a custom 7 string tele. They should both be finished at the start of next month.
Yeah, I totally thought those were the same neck. I was gonna say, how the HELL did you accomplish that :lol: All fun and jokes aside, those are great looking necks, man! Great work!

cip 123

Reaction score
Yeah, I totally thought those were the same neck. I was gonna say, how the HELL did you accomplish that :lol: All fun and jokes aside, those are great looking necks, man! Great work!
Haha I feel a lot better about my skills recently but even that is a bit above my level hahaha!

Thanks for the kind words!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Speaking of Tiffany ish blue, coat one is done on the Dangelico. I have already fixed the dryish patch on the top of the photo btw, rest is orange peel that I will wet sand out.

20240524_155422.jpg

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Speaking of Tiffany ish blue, coat one is done on the Dangelico. I have already fixed the dryish patch on the top of the photo btw, rest is orange peel that I will wet sand out.

View attachment 144025
After some clear, waiting for the cure and then off to wet sand again and polish.

20240526_140832.jpg

Sad because I have no spray booth, just a shed, so I had a little debris go into the clear 😭😭 but I'm fine with it. I'm kinda wanting it to get beat up and worn anyways.

Don't mind my atrocious yard right now, insert excuse #47 here.

Anyone have a good idea how to smooth out the difference between the body paint and clear versus the thin satin on the neck? I don't want a hard ridge, which when I took off the first bit of tape after the paint layer was done, was definitely apparent.

Last edited: