What's your cardio routine like?

• Thread starter nitelightboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well....

For me, I usually try to change things up a little here and there every 2 weeks or so. But my tried and true standard for some good conditioning has always been:

1) quick warm up and stretch
2) run at a healthy pace for 1 mile
3) jump rope for 5 minutes straight
4) run another mile
5) jump rope again, 5 mins.
6) keep repeating until I just can't do anymore
7) light cool off and stretch.

I add variations. Sometimes instead of jumping rope, I add some light side skipping, ab work, squats, etc...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just stretch/run/stretch. You don't really need to mix it up like that unless you're trying to keep it interesting. All that really matters is keeping your heartrate up for 30-45 minutes. If you're only getting 15 minutes of high-heartrate cardio, you're wasting your time.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
I just stretch/run/stretch. You don't really need to mix it up like that unless you're trying to keep it interesting. All that really matters is keeping your heartrate up for 30-45 minutes. If you're only getting 15 minutes of high-heartrate cardio, you're wasting your time.

Yeah. Back when I was a martial arts instructor, I had to be in some PEAK condition. SO this is the routine I started. At the time I could usually do 10 miles or so. Remember it's pretty flat down here, so I don't get the benefit of hills unfortunately:rant:

But I agree. Less than 15 minutes is a joke. I always told people to go for at least 30 minutes.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
I start off by power walking over to the fridge; I do one fridge press to open the door and one nice stretch to grab a beer. Then I power walk over to my spa, I mean massaging chair and do a few sit ups while I try to reach the remote to turn on the TV. Then for about 10 mins I work out my thumb while I search for something good to watch. Then once I'm nice a settled in and my back is getting massaged, I do curls with Doritos and my Bud.

I run for like an hour every morning and do 100 sit ups a day, that’s just about it.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Current workout:
Tues / Thur
Swim 1000yds. in a.m.
Run 7 miles in p.m.

Wed / Fri / Sun
Bike 30 miles

Sat
Run 4 miles in a.m.

There was a recent study...I dont remember what Univeristy did it, but it said that people who split their running into 2 - 15 minute runs (like am and pm) rather than 1 - 30 minute run show increase VO2 max, and more gains in endurance. I havent seen any peer review though so I dont know how robust these findings are. Interesting nontheless, and would be great news for people starting out a cardio routine.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
There was a recent study...I dont remember what Univeristy did it, but it said that people who split their running into 2 - 15 minute runs (like am and pm) rather than 1 - 30 minute run show increase VO2 max, and more gains in endurance. I havent seen any peer review though so I dont know how robust these findings are. Interesting nontheless, and would be great news for people starting out a cardio routine.[/QUOTE]

I've seen something like that too, however, I would disagree. From my experiences, you need to keep your heart rate up at LEAST 30 mins at a time to have enough of an effect to actually notice anything. While it's a cool study, I would want to see more about it, since I still believe in the old tried and true.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
personally I don't do alot of cardio since I'm working on gaining mass but I do run on a treadmill for 12 minutes to warm up before doing weightlifting.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I do Roughly at least 30 mins of cardio 6 days a week but it's normally closer to 60 mins. I run a line of doing fat burning cardio vs. heavy breathing cardio.