What's your favorite pizza topping?

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Your Favorite Pizza Topping

• Bacon

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Italian Sausage/Beef

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Ham

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Pepperoni

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Jalapeno

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Green/Red Peppers

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Banana Peppers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mushrooms

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Olives

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hitman

Reaction score
Naren said:
me three... ooooh, I'm starving. I need some pizza.
Eq_it-na_pizza-margherita_sep2005_sml.jpg

49894017_724f9a6015_m.jpg

6_Pizza.gif

immagine.php

1188287-Pizza_al_metro-Italy.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'm not a big olive fan, so I probably wouldn't want the first or second pizzas. I can eat olives, but I usually prefer other toppings. That big one on the bottom looks particularly good (and big too).

There are some restaurants in Japan that have Italian-style pizzas and I go to them every now and then. Italian-style pizzas are really good, but I generally prefer American-style pizzas. Have you ever had a unique American style pizza (like Chicago deep dish, for example)?

hitman

Reaction score
Naren said:
I'm not a big olive fan, so I probably wouldn't want the first or second pizzas. I can eat olives, but I usually prefer other toppings. That big one on the bottom looks particularly good (and big too).

There are some restaurants in Japan that have Italian-style pizzas and I go to them every now and then. Italian-style pizzas are really good, but I generally prefer American-style pizzas. Have you ever had a unique American style pizza (like Chicago deep dish, for example)?
no,i have'nt...i suppose that it's very different from italian pizza.there aren't place where i can have american pizza...only pizza or "pizza napoletana".when i'll go to USA i'll have it,and i want to go to burger king or similar.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
hitman said:
no,i have'nt...i suppose that it's very different from italian pizza.there aren't place where i can have american pizza...only pizza or "pizza napoletana"

Yeah, Chicago Deep Dish pizza, for example, is very very different from Italian pizza. The crust is very very thick with lots and lots of sauce. It takes a very long time to cook it. If you want authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza, you have to go to Chicago. At some pizzarias, you'll wait an hour for your pizza. I highly recommend it, though. Very tasty and very filling.

There are places in the US where you can get real Italian pizza (and places like that in Japan too), but most places are American-style pizza. I think both are very good and good in different ways. Overall, I prefer American-style.

If you ever do visit the US, I highly recommend trying out some American pizza. Pizza (American style, Japanese style, Italian style, etc.) is one of my top 3 favorite foods on this Earth. So awesome. I really miss US pizza prices. You could get a large pizza for $8, $9, $10. Or you could go to a pizza buffet (all you can eat!) for about $6. Here in Japan, a large pizza costs about $30 at most places. It tastes good, but it's so damn expensive. I cut down ordering pizzas to once a month now. I used to order about 1-2 times a week when I lived in the US. And, since I worked at pizza places for about 4 years, I would eat pizza almost every time I work (one summer I ate pizza almost every day for like 2-3 months).

I'm practically starving now...

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Naren said:
Why is it not pizza? I've had Italian pizza and it does generally have 0-3 toppings (like margherita, which is usually just basil and cheese, but sometimes is tomato, basil, and cheese. It's usually just basically "no toppings"), but that doesn't mean pizza with lots of toppings isn't pizza. What kind of a crazy idea is that? "What's your favorite sandwich ingredients?" "Cheese." "That's not a sandwich. You need at least 4 or more toppings to be a sandwich. Now, if you said: ham, turkey, salami, cheese, bacon, onions, mustard, mayonaise, and banana peppers, that's qualify as a sandwich. What you're eating, is bread. Not a sandwich."

If American pizza isn't pizza, what is it? Japanese pizza generally has more toppings than American pizza. There are some Japanese pizzas with 10 toppings. Would you say "That's not pizza. That's... dough... with sauce... and toppings...?" or something inane like that. I could see you saying that a "Mexican pizza" isn't really a pizza (but I still think it is).

I usually order pizzas with 1-2 toppings (usually just pepperoni, but sometimes pepperoni and jalapenos. Occasionally more than that). Does it suddenly STOP being a pizza if I add 1 more topping? Or does it take 2 more toppings to stop being a pizza? 3 more? Where is the threshold between a "pizza" and "something else"? Does that mean usually I order "pizza", but some days I think I'm ordering "pizza" but I'm really ordering something else because I added 1 or 2 more toppings that usual? Your definition of "pizza" is quite unusual.

British "fat cunt specials" aren't pizza either. Especially, since British food doesn't taste like anything, anyway.

"White pizza" is similar to some kinds of garlic cheese bread, but it still isn't garlic bread. There was a local pizza place where I used to eat sometimes that had garlic cheese bread that was made out of pizza dough in a small egg-shape (but flat) with cheese on top and garlic stuff added and cut into about 20 small pieces, which were dipped in hot pizza sauce. Quite similar to pizza, but still not pizza. Not really "garlic cheese bread" either, though (it had a different name, actually, which I thought was appropriate).

You are deemed false, sir. Muahaha.

Naren if you have been to Italy you would know what I mean. Italians have an attitude (and it's completely regional) that only they produce the best and 'realest' type of pizza. They traditionally find Pizza made outside of Italy to be a completely unreal representation of Italian food. I speak from experience having lived in Italy.

What I put down was something you don't appear to understand called sarcasm. I have noticed that you are not very good at spotting it but you are very good at boasting about your superlative knowledge on an entire range of subjects. :D Sorry man I just yawned through your story about how you used to eat Garlic Bread. Newsflash: not that interesting. Sorry man.

When I refer to British fat cunt specials I refer to Pizza Hut. We have them in the UK you know. Could you believe it! They are exactly the same as they are in the States. I know I have been there! Shock horror hey!

I'm English therefore I am sarcastic. You however cannot read a joke and took what I said literally making you a bit of a twat.

The whole thing about the white pizza? Well I thought all the smilies would make it clear that I was joking there as well - taking the piss. Well especially for you I will add the following information to the end of my threads just so you know - THIS RESPONSE CONTAINS SARCASTIC RESPONSES WHICH SOME PEOPLE WILL GET BUT NAREN MIGHT NOT. THIS DISCLAIMER IS FOR HIS BENEFIT SO I DON'T GET ANOTHER SMART ARSE RESPONSE ;)

[action=Dormant] would like to point out that he is taking the piss again - having a joke so there is no need to take this as an insult. :)[/action]

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Maybe you should re-read my posts, Dormant. I think you don't see the sarcasm that I am using. You should look at my post on page 8. I said "I thought what Dormant said was pretty silly and I just overanalyzed the shit out of it." I mean, pizza is a pretty stupid subject to argue/debate about. You said "you are very good at boasting about your superlative knowledge on an entire range of subjects." This is fucking pizza. What's to know? You eat it and it tastes good. Just because I don't put rolly eyes and lols and rofls everywhere doesn't necessarily mean I'm serious. :rolleyes:

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
garcia3441 said:
Sicilian Pizza Challenge- Beau Jo's Pizza, Colorado

This is a two person challenge involving Beau Jo's Grand Sicilian Pizza which weighs anywhere between 12-14 lbs. Toppings include pounds of Green Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Pepperoni, Sausage, Hamburger with the entire pie covered in cheese with a super thick, 16' crust. Substitution of toppings is at Managers discretion. If you fail the challenge the cost is $64.60 . If you succeed you and your over stuffed buddy get a $50.00 Cash prize, two t-shirts and the pizza is free.

Now that's a man's pizza!:agreed:

Bring it on! Beee-yach!

hitman said:
no,i have'nt...i suppose that it's very different from italian pizza.there aren't place where i can have american pizza...only pizza or "pizza napoletana".when i'll go to USA i'll have it,and i want to go to burger king or similar.

Plan on Las Vegas, July 7th, 2007!:agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Popsyche said:
Now that's a man's pizza!:agreed:

Bring it on! Beee-yach!

Yeah. But $64.60 is just insane. :eek: I remember at pizza places, sometimes we'd try to see how expensive we could make pizzas by adding double or triple everything. The most expensive we ever got was like $101.90 for a large pizza. Someone accidentally punched it in too. To think that there would actually be a pizza that costs $64.60 blows m' mind. It'd be cool to try eating it if there was no risk of having to pay up that money. :)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
garcia3441 said:
In 2004 I went to the Mecca of American pizza, Lombardi's in New York City.:wag: :drool:

I think I've been there... Near or in Brooklyn Heights, right? Not a particularly imposing little pizzarria, in fact looks rather like a caricature of every Italian pizzaria in NYC you've ever seen, but is known for their excellent thin crust pizza? If so, my friend Becca and I stopped in on the way back from a wedding in Virginia (she lives in BH) and I agree, it is pretty damned good. The cannoli we split for desert was also to die for. :D

Naren said:
Well, in English, it's always spelled "pepperoni."

There are lots of different kinds of sausage. Pepperoni could not be called "Italian sausage" because that's already a pizza topping, which is very very very different from pepperoni. The color is completely different (more of a brown color); it is usually ground into little balls (whereas pepperoni is sliced into little circles), and the flavor is completely different. Italian sausage can give me heartburn, but pepperoni doesn't.

There are also lots and lots of different kinds of sausage in the US, salami being one of them. But, "salami" wouldn't be appropriate either. Because pepperoni isn't really salami. It might be a specific kind of salami... but I knew a pizza place that had "salami" and "pepperoni" as seperate pizza toppings. The salami was kind of grayish colored, really thin, and big. The pepperoni was red, a little thick, and small.

Maybe "pepperoni" is a term made up in the US from the English word "pepper" and from the Italian ending "-oni." Dunno. Just a guess. I do know that it's my favorite topping, though.

Actually, um, not to call you out or anything, but if anything pepperoni represents an american bastardization of "peperoni" rather than an italian-zed american word, and is probably most aptly described as a type of spicy salami than as anything else.

As for italian sausage, you buy it in links. Sure, they don't slice it up like they do pepperoni when they put it on pizza (well, not normally - I tried it once and didn't like the effect as much), and most recipes I know call for slicing it out of the casing and frying it, breaking it up with the side of your spoon, to get a "ground meat" consistancey, but it definitely doesn't come in "little balls."

You of all people should know that just becase something's linguistically one way in the States doesn't mean that 1.) it's that way everywhere, and 2.) the way it is stateside is right. ;)

Also, I've gotta concur with Dormant, either your sarcasm instinct malfunctions with an almost-PC-like regularity, or maybe you SHOULD use the occasional smiley face so you don't always come off as so grumpy and pissy about everything. ;)

HITMAN - damn dude, those pizzas are to die for. THAT is what I call a pizza. :agreed:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
And, since you guys were talking about it here...

pizza.jpg

Sure, I love buffallo chicken and (sliced) black olive as much as the next guy, but you guys got me wanting something a little more italian style. :wub:

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I think I've been there... Near or in Brooklyn Heights, right? Not a particularly imposing little pizzarria, in fact looks rather like a caricature of every Italian pizzaria in NYC you've ever seen, but is known for their excellent thin crust pizza? If so, my friend Becca and I stopped in on the way back from a wedding in Virginia (she lives in BH) and I agree, it is pretty damned good. The cannoli we split for desert was also to die for. :D

It's the first pizzeria in America to get a business licence.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Drew said:
Actually, um, not to call you out or anything, but if anything pepperoni represents an american bastardization of "peperoni" rather than an italian-zed american word, and is probably most aptly described as a type of spicy salami than as anything else.

As for italian sausage, you buy it in links. Sure, they don't slice it up like they do pepperoni when they put it on pizza (well, not normally - I tried it once and didn't like the effect as much), and most recipes I know call for slicing it out of the casing and frying it, breaking it up with the side of your spoon, to get a "ground meat" consistancey, but it definitely doesn't come in "little balls."

You of all people should know that just becase something's linguistically one way in the States doesn't mean that 1.) it's that way everywhere, and 2.) the way it is stateside is right. ;)

Also, I've gotta concur with Dormant, either your sarcasm instinct malfunctions with an almost-PC-like regularity, or maybe you SHOULD use the occasional smiley face so you don't always come off as so grumpy and pissy about everything. ;)

:lol: Okay, I'll take your advice.

Yeah, I was just guessing where the word could have come from. I didn't have any solid basis. I assumed that, since the word wasn't used in Italy, it was probably made up in the US and I was guessing why. I might be completely off base in my linguistic guessings 'n' schtuff.

Edit: Just looked up "pepperoni" and this was the info given.

SYLLABICATION: pep·per·o·ni
PRONUNCIATION: pp-rn
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. pep·per·o·nis
1. A highly spiced pork and beef sausage. 2. A slice of this type of sausage.
ETYMOLOGY: Italian peperoni, pl. of peperone, pimento, red pepper, augmentative of pepe, pepper, from Latin piper. See pepper.

Probably came into English within the last 100 years or so. Again, just a guess, but sounds logical. :cool:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
:spock:
Naren said:
Yeah. But $64.60 is just insane. :eek: I remember at pizza places, sometimes we'd try to see how expensive we could make pizzas by adding double or triple everything. The most expensive we ever got was like $101.90 for a large pizza. Someone accidentally punched it in too. To think that there would actually be a pizza that costs $64.60 blows m' mind. It'd be cool to try eating it if there was no risk of having to pay up that money. :)

'Course...... a pizza like that could probably feed a small family for week, thus jusstifying the 64.60, and having a memorable story afterward. My small scrawn of a frame could never handle it, but I wouldn't mind trying, especially if they could box up the remains.

Sadly, I am currently more broke than a old preacher's penis, so I will have to nosh on Ramen, and pretend it's Papa Johns.....

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
psyphre said:
:spock:

'Course...... a pizza like that could probably feed a small family for week, thus jusstifying the 64.60, and having a memorable story afterward. My small scrawn of a frame could never handle it, but I wouldn't mind trying, especially if they could box up the remains.

Sadly, I am currently more broke than a old preacher's penis, so I will have to nosh on Ramen, and pretend it's Papa Johns.....

Yeah, it probably could feed a small family for a week, which just makes the "eating the entire pizza all by yourself" thing seem impossible and a waste of money. The memorable story would be like "Yeah, I had to pay $64.60 for an insanely huge pizza because I couldn't eat the whole thing. I actually ended up getting taken to the hospital because my intestines were rupturing from the inside." "THAT'S AWESOME!" "Yes... it is. :) :yesway: "

Hey, why pretend it's Papa Johns? Just get a coupon and buy a large pizza for like $8 and eat the leftovers later. Papa Johns = cheap.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:

My point was, if you notice in the red, this was a 16 foot pizza, which is a man's pizza, especially if you're Paul Bunyan.

I try to limit myself to 2 large pizzas at one sitting. :lol: :lol: :ugh:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Popsyche said:
My point was, if you notice in the red, this was a 16 foot pizza, which is a man's pizza, especially if you're Paul Bunyan.

I try to limit myself to 2 large pizzas at one sitting. :lol: :lol: :ugh:

16 feet... :eek: that's almost 3x my height (I'm six two).

Most crazy food places have deals that are actually possible. Like, if you eat the two pound burger in one hour, you get it for free. I could do that. But I'd probably feel sick later. Or, if you eat the quadruple decker sandwich, you get it for free. But a 16 foot $64 pizza all by yourself? Has ANYONE ever succeeded in doing that? It sounds practically impossible. I bet the guy who ate the 56 hot dogs in that hot dog eating contest couldn't eat the whole thing... :ugh:

Yeah, if I really had to, I could probably eat 1 and a half large pizzas. I probably wouldn't feel very good though. A 16 foot pizza with that many toppings would be impossible for me (and impossible for most people, I'm guessing). Does anyone know if there has ever been anyone to eat the whole thing?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
nyck said:
Damn Drew!! That looks YUMMY!!

...and I forgot the couple pieces that I meant to bring in for lunch today in the fridge. :/ Least, I hope it was the fridge and not the counter. :lol:

It was pretty good - I'm finally gettng the hang of making a good crust, it all comes down to getting the right sugar/yeast ratio, I think. I'm so NOT a baker though, so it's been a learning experience... :lol: