What's your limit with retailers?

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I'll be honest, at this point I just want to see the guitar in question. It must be something pretty special!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
It has all the signs that they don't actually have the guitar on premise and the listing is a clerical error:

- Rare model
- Out of production
- Flaky service

Do tell what the guitar is, though. We're all curious.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
It's nothing too special to a lot of you guys. I mean tbh I look at the active members on this forum as if you guys are Gods. That's why I really dig SSO... such an incredible wealth of knowledge, talent, integrity, etc... just blows my mind.

So this one is a relatively low-end PRS. It's an SE but it's like no other SE that I've ever played/ owned... buttery smooth action, silky soft feeling neck, clear articulate pickups, bound ebony board with fantastically executed fret-work, matching head-stock, quilted top, perfect balance, great tone, solid intonation, etc. Because it's an exclusive run from 2015, there's only one left in amethyst and I'd absolutely love to give it a home next to my trampas-green model.

The one that I have now, I had to do a TR adjustment, a locking tuner upgrade, and a Tusq nut replacement but other than that this thing just purrs like a kitten and slays like a Viking.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Normally I would say to forget them and go somewhere else. Sounds like a crappy business that I would not want to give money to but with the rarity of the guitar...If you must have it then just buy it.

Does the quilt really matter? Would you not buy it if the quilt wasn't perfect for you? I assume they are far away so you can't go there but I would give them a call directly since they are not responsive to emails.

I would be firm and say Look, I don't want to be a jerk but I have money ready to buy a guitar from you and you keep avoiding me. Do you want to sell the guitar?

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
It's nothing too special to a lot of you guys. I mean tbh I look at the active members on this forum as if you guys are Gods. That's why I really dig SSO... such an incredible wealth of knowledge, talent, integrity, etc... just blows my mind.

So this one is a relatively low-end PRS. It's an SE but it's like no other SE that I've ever played/ owned... buttery smooth action, silky soft feeling neck, clear articulate pickups, bound ebony board with fantastically executed fret-work, matching head-stock, quilted top, perfect balance, great tone, solid intonation, etc. Because it's an exclusive run from 2015, there's only one left in amethyst and I'd absolutely love to give it a home next to my trampas-green model.

The one that I have now, I had to do a TR adjustment, a locking tuner upgrade, and a Tusq nut replacement but other than that this thing just purrs like a kitten and slays like a Viking.

Even if its an SE you should still be valued as a customer. My last three guitars were all in that ball park price range. But my main salesman is at sweetwater. He treats Me good whether im buying a pack of strings or a new guitar. And honestly its the wonderful customer service that has me going back there even if its not the best price. I only intended to buy a mesa cab from them. But in the last five years i have spent over five grand with them. Now that isnt a lot to some people but i was only planning on spending a fifth of that in the same time frame. I do hope you get what you are looking for.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
If it's really that special, and you are concerned with whether or not you will be able to find another, then call twice a day until you get what you want. You don't want it sold out from under you.

In a year from now, you won't care about how much trouble the company put you through. You will care about owning the guitar.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
What makes this one special is that it was a limited run with specs that I love. There's [supposedly] only one left and after it's gone there won't be any more avail unless PRS decides to produce this guitar again.

So to be clear, it's a sought after limited edition guitar that others have to buy at full price based on internet images. You are asking for a discount and special pictures just for you. Apparently he has no problem selling since he only has 1 left.

Why would he want your business again?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
See... You guys raise some excellent points that really help me to identify with where I'm at with this.

The quilt issue I agree with what was suggested... probably not a "make it or break it" thing.

What was also mentioned above, resonates with me as well... In however many years, a negative sales experience isn't going to matter. It's the instrument itself and what kind of experience that I have with it.

I guess right now I'm just still digesting his nonchalant demeanor. Also I'm a little nervous if something is at all wrong with this guitar... will I get reimbursed/ compensated or will that also prove to be a situation that might leave me feeling screwed? I guess it's a bit premature and pointless to continue stressing over these kinds of potential things. I'll just have to roll the dice or walk away.

I really appreciate the input, guys. Thank you.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
So to be clear, it's a sought after limited edition guitar that others have to buy at full price based on internet images. You are asking for a discount and special pictures just for you. Apparently he has no problem selling since he only has 1 left.

Why would he want your business again?

I'm not a special case lol. I asked him politely if he could shoot a pic of it and he said he would and that it was no problem to do it. He never did but kept saying that he would. Just tell me "No" and I'll understand. I'm sure he won't have any problem selling it. I only asked him if he might have any wiggle room on the price cause sometimes sellers might consider offers. Simple as that.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Apparently he has no problem selling since he only has 1 left.?

Since 2015? No problem? Apparently he has a huge problem with making sales, here he has a customer, essentially a "walk in," not someone he has to sell the product to, who wants a couple of photos to seal the deal. He cant even manage that. Sound like he has huge issues making sales if he cant close a walk in....

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
Since 2015? No problem? Apparently he has a huge problem with making sales, here he has a customer, essentially a "walk in," not someone he has to sell the product to, who wants a couple of photos to seal the deal. He cant even manage that. Sound like he has huge issues making sales if he cant close a walk in....

Trust me, if he couldn't make sales to feed his family he would have sold the guitar already...

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
Not everyone has the same motivations. I know a couple of people who ran businesses straight into the ground regardless of family ties. The fact is this guy has made promises and failed to make good on them. Nothing else really matters. I honestly cant believe someone is trying to make the OP look as if he is in the wrong. Wait. I can believe it now that I think about it.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Trust me, if he couldn't make sales to feed his family he would have sold the guitar already...

It's sounding a little more personal to you than anyone else, know/you are the owner by chance?

DarthV

Reaction score

Crappy business model. Have item for sale, someone wants to buy and you won't respond?

Too bad the OP hasn't named the dealer, be nice to know who not to deal with.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
When it comes to buying a washing machine at Home Depot, I'm pretty clear on my rights as a customer as well as their responsibility as a retailer. But as I indicated earlier, this is a bit different. Essentially the owner calls the shots and makes the decision to be honest, accommodating, etc... or not. In the end, I don't feel that I have any particular "rights" before the sale but I do feel that people should stand by their word if they reassure you over and over that they will do something. After an agreement is established by the potential buyer/ seller then that same agreement I feel, should be honored by both parties. When the seller appears to trivialize the importance of what they said that they would do... then my faith in them begins to diminish.

And again... it's not just "Does the guitar look okay?". That was a simple request for pics and "Yes" or "No" would have been fine. It's the seeming complete lack of follow-through that makes me feel apprehensive that I can count on him to make things right in the event that something is wrong with the guitar. I currently have 4 guitars that I'm wanting to sell ( fwiw I'll probably list them here on SSO) and I could never imagine not being 100% communicative, respectful, and honest throughout any correspondence or transaction.

I stepped back and considered everything ( including the advice offered here) and as much as I love this guitar and still dearly want it, I'm just not willing to deal anymore with someone that I have such strong reservations about. It's a real shame ( and maybe I'm unrealistic because I didn't put my foot down re: "pics today or no sale", or because I had no right to request pics in the first place, or that I had the audacity to see if he might lower the price a bit) but I just decided for several reasons to let this one go.

The correct assumption has already been made in this thread, regarding the sellers identity.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
It's sounding a little more personal to you than anyone else, know/you are the owner by chance?

I'm gonna post on a forum to protect my identity which has not been revealed? Makes sense...

Everyone thinks they deserve special treatment these days. Car dealers blow you off for being too needy and asking for discounts, guitar dealers will do the same. Try calling any major dealer asking for pics and price cut and you'd get the same response.

exo

Reaction score
I'm gonna post on a forum to protect my identity which has not been revealed? Makes sense...

Everyone thinks they deserve special treatment these days. Car dealers blow you off for being too needy and asking for discounts, guitar dealers will do the same. Try calling any major dealer asking for pics and price cut and you'd get the same response.

Waitaminute here......it's acceptable business practice to say "yeah, sure, we can do that", and then proceed to just blow it all off REPEATEDLY rather than just say. "Sorry, don't have time?" In the first place?

The guy made a simple inquiry about something, gets affirmatives about the request a couple times in a row, get's strung along, and now we're gonna turn it back around at him under "everyone thinks they deserve special treatment"?

:nuts:

DarthV

Reaction score

Glad you can read, we know who the retailer is. The OP didn't ask for a discount and had bought a guitar from that dealer in the past. So this isn't the case of a dealer thinking someone was just kicking the tires, but one of their customers.

And for the record, it took close to 2 months for me to get pickups from that same dealer.

vividox

Reaction score
There is a big difference between a business that blows you off after directly telling you they'll do it (these people suck) and entitled customers (these people also suck, but in a different way).

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score

This wasn't a case of anyone asking for special treatment. He was simply asking someone make good on repeated promises. There is a difference. And you should know that. But we get it. You are an individual and you want everyone to know you play to a different beat. But taking the opposing side just for the sake of doing so gets tiresome after awhile.