What's your oldest guitar/amp?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Guitar:
1980 Yamaha Studio Lord SL-600
3 piece maple neck, underwound PAF pickups made in Japan, have original case and case candy, will sell it soon as I have a Lord Player 800 Custom that I have fully restored to take it's place

1000010818.jpg1000010817.jpg
1000010819.jpg

1965 Moody BA17 - made in Sydney Australia tube amp.

Got it recently in a trade with my old music teacher for some tele bodies.

17 watt combo, 12 inch speaker, 2 inputs, EL84 X2 power tubes, 12ax7 and 6BL8 pre amp tubes. Really clean amp and takes pedals well. Is going in for a full restore in January. Not sure if I'll keep it.
IMG_20231222_092358.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
That looks like a sunburst Standard Deluxe. If it says “patent pending” on back its 1997-1998. (I believe 1996-1997 they were only made in quilt not flame anyways)

If the SN begins with 91 it’s around 1998 or 1999. Later ones had different number, so it could be later up to 2004.

Yeah, it's not a "patent pending" one, so it's '98 or later.

Serial number is 91013XXX, so to the best of my knowledge it could be from around '98 / '99 / '00 or so, but the info around the web is sparse and kind of contradictory.

Standards had binding but not maple top, and deluxe models had both so I guess it's one of those. I don't know, never looked very hard. It's a nice guitar.

styphonthal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a 1978 Fender strat. It was during the two years Fender changed to heavy wood to compete with Gibson. Looks like a normal strat, but is really heavy.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I have a 1971 Ampeg V4. I got it a cap job and it has NOs 7027s in it. It's really reliable, really heavy, and really loud. It's no Matamp but it gets the job done and lives at the practice space so I don't have to move it lol.

I have a 1970 or 1971 SG with P90s that my sisters cat knocked it off a guitar stand and it cracked at the neck joint and broke it super bad and it's completely fucked. I put the pickups in my Hagstrom because they're possibly the best P90s I've ever played tho :)

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
60s magnatone later mid tier something or other that has a super obsolete power tube and I probably effed up the varistor while soldering something. No more vibrato iirc.

LCW

Reaction score
Oldest amp is a '98 Triple Recto. Confirmed with Mesa via S/N that it shipped out in May of 1998.

IMG_0869.jpeg

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It has some finish cracks but no cracks in the wood

Good to hear! We had one in the family that was very similar to yours and it completely came to pieces. I know it was not well-treated during its life, of course. I'm a big Ovation guy myself, I like seeing them in the wild!

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
@wheresthefbomb
Thank you! Ovations are definitely a love or hate thing in the guitar community. Their guitars have always been a big part of my life, the first guitar I played was my father’s Ovation acoustic. The first guitar I owned was a kid sized Ovation Applause acoustic. On top of that my father worked in the factory and there’s a good chance he had his hands on this one I have when it was being built. Ovations are very special to me.

I love the way Ovations sound, but I agree with Roy Clark on them. My main problem is the the shape of the the back of the guitar and the shape of the front of me.

Also, forgot I have an 83 Gibson/Epiphone Spirit. They were originally made as Epiphones and mine's old enough you can still see the Epiphone logo under the Gibson one.
20221202_173253.jpg

20221202_173332.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I love the way Ovations sound, but I agree with Roy Clark on them. My main problem is the the shape of the the back of the guitar and the shape of the front of me.

Also, forgot I have an 83 Gibson/Epiphone Spirit. They were originally made as Epiphones and mine's old enough you can still see the Epiphone logo under the Gibson one.
View attachment 135682

View attachment 135683
This is funny because around the same exact time, Fender was making their own LPDC called the Espirit.

y9owtzk8fdvbhwcjjwzp.jpeg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It's not even that old, but it's my ESP M-II, pretty sure it's only like, an '04 or something but I'd have to check the serial number to confirm; I ain't got no time for that old shit

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this a Gibson Skylark amp from 60s?
Seems like Gibson is based to this one (?) for the new Falcon 5...

Yeah mine is the GA5T Skylark (with tremolo). They made several iterations back then - it's hard to keep track. But in general there were the TV version (the yellow wood or tolex box), the Crestline (metal front with a crest logo like mine), and then a similar white metal front version. Gibson varied the circuitry randomly through the years and there were random variations due to really sloppy QC lol. The GA5 is a killer amp. Incredibly loud for it's size and the trem is intense.

There was also a Gibson GA-19 Falcon back then that was the big brother. They also came in the same variations.

Gibson made tons of different amps... some of the 50s ones like the GA-20 fetch vintage Fender prices. My guess is the Falcon 5 is similar to the Skylark and the Falcon 20 is similar to the old Falcon? The wattages are close enough but like I said the circuits and tubes varied a lot so who knows.

Here's a crazy attempt at a list:

Note how many times they change tubes mid production.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I have an amp that's almost 20 years old. I've owned it for about 15 or so. Standby switch is buggered all up, it's sitting currently. No, I'm not telling you what it is. You would not be surprised.

Latest posts