What's your practice routine like?

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so restricted on bpm, because it's about the complexity of the phrase
Sure linear scales are much easier to execute, say...Dream Theater's Take The Time unison break is at 130 bpm I think, but it's way harder than a fast run 3 nps at 180 bpm

Yeah, the best thing to do is setting a metronome, a very simple 2-3 chors max backing track and decide to play for 5 minutes strictly one subdivision no stop
To that one can add various degrees of restrictions, like playing avoiding a set amount of strings, using only 3 fingers, never play adjacent strings, set target notes to hit on the beats, avoid one note in the scale, never play major or minor 2nd intervals, and so on...
Yes, absolutely - but simply picking at these speeds, in a real world situation with a relatively mechanically efficient run, shouldn't build up levels of fatigue that become barriers within like 30 seconds. If they do, that's probably a symptom of something else.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I subscribe to Fretboard Biology- Which is kinda like/the closest to like an online course spaced out like a college curriculum. I do a unit a week unless I am on vacation etc.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely - but simply picking at these speeds, in a real world situation with a relatively mechanically efficient run, shouldn't build up levels of fatigue that become barriers within like 30 seconds. If they do, that's probably a symptom of something else.
Yeah, 30 seconds is nothing
Also, it's way harder to go at what is mid-ish speed than at full speed, as full speed needs full relax, while mid-ish speed require that you tense a little to "hold your horses"

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Here’s a great example of turning practice runs into a song lol…

jaxadam

Reaction score
My practice routine is like this: make up weird practice lick -> turns into song -> forgets weird practice lick -> forgets song

Latest posts