Where can i find a MIDI file's tempo?

• Thread starter ZeroS1gnol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Like the thread title: can anyone help me on how to determine a MIDI file's original tempo (on a mac)?

To make thing more clear: our band's drummer builds drumscores in GuitarPro. Those files have their own set tempo, this tempo is also in place when the midi has a playback in any media player (quicktime, wmp...). However, when I load it into Garageband it adopts the DAW's tempo.

So I'd like to determine te original tempo without having to contact our drummer. Any help would be very appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I don't know if Garageband works the same, but in Sonar I have to OPEN the MIDI file rather than import it. Import it just brings it in as a clip, which will play back within the project at the project tempo, just like you said.
If I OPEN it instead, tempo changes, time signatures, bar markers and everything are imported to the project, making it just like the Guitar Pro.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It kinda works like that in GB. When I import the midi into a 'clean' working file, it seems to adopt the tempo. Not so in existing projects...which is still annoying. Im liking GB less and less as my demands for writing/recording software are rising...

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I think that's pretty normal - it's just the same as Sonar then :) Hard to explain but there's many reasons why importing a MIDI into an existing project and having the tempo change could cause many problems.
I'm assuming you don't have GP to look at it with, so download TuxGuitar for free - you should be able to import the MIDI there and see the tempo.