Where to start?

• Thread starter InfinityCollision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I'd like to try my hand at percussion but have zero experience and no time for lessons for at least another couple of months. What should I be looking at in the meantime? I figure a practice pad (Evans?) is somewhat a given, and maybe a stand for it (suggestions?), but what should I be looking at for sticks, learning resources, and anything else I might want for starting out? Not worried about putting together a kit for the time being, but if there's anything I can pick up cheap to help get my feet into the feel of things a bit I'm open to ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Just get some sticks and something to hit and watch Mangini's lesson on rhythm. Learn basic rythm.

The techniques you can learn from watching people or books, but for me percussion whether you're playing it on a conventional drumset or two sticks or on your knees and feet or whatever is all about you knowing rhythm and knowing how to manipulate that to create interesting grooves.

Once you've got basic rhythm/time theory down try making unique beats by accenting different things. Or get a guitar player (or yourself) to write a riff and try creating a beat maintaining the groove with one limb while syncopating with the other. That sort of thing.

Have fun!!!

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Primarily concerned with bringing my nonexistent technique up to par with my musical knowledge/experience in the rhythm section for the time being. I've got a rough plan for after that, but I have to get there first.

Any suggestions for sticks for a beginner or will it not really matter for me at this point?

EDIT: Seems like a lot of the drummers I like use 55A or 5B sticks, so I'm following suit for the time being. Still taking suggestions for learning resources and any other items I might want at this point.

innovine

Reaction score
Try a 5a, or maybe a 5b which is a little heavier. I think slightly heavier sticks might be good for beginners as its a little bit easier to feel the sticks momentum. Keep in mind that you need to hond the sticks quite loosely, almost at the point of dropping them. Don't develop bad habits of grabbing them nn your fists and pounding. Its a lot more like dribbling a basketball than battering the drumhead. The stick almost floats and moves by itself when you do it right. Spend a bit of time watching videos on grip so you know you start off right. A pro lesson or two is great at the start and again after a few weeks and a few months to make sure your technique is ok. The rest youecaneprobably learn from youtube but remembere youtubeevideos won't gorrect youeif you grip the sticks too tightly

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Yeah, I went with 5B for the moment. Trying to work some basic wrist and finger technique right now, especially on the left hand.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
You need to find what grips you like.

I do french grip (thumb on top) with my left hand, and a combination of flying fingers (using fingers to move the stick, not wrist) and also french grip with my right hand.

Playing air drums actually helps a lot. Play air drums along to different songs with the sticks in your hands, and pretend the tapping of your feet are pedals.

You can use your thigh as a drum pad, it hurts a little but not to bad. It is also almost silent.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I've been working a mix of grips. French is okay, possibly inhibited by pad placement. German feels good, probably my most natural grip. American actually feels worst of the three. Trying to work traditional grip too but it's hard for my left hand. Air drums as a practical tool is a bit beyond me right now since I lose the rebound off the head/pad.

Out of curiosity, should the butt of the stick stay on the heel of my palm or is it okay for my grip to be lose enough for it to lose contact?

Rudduw

Reaction score
This post is a little over a month old so im taking a shot in the dark here, the DW practice kit would be best bet because its cheaper than an electric or acoustic set you should play through some songs that you know by heart and then throw in some more difficult ones and then just gradually work up the technical beat chain. Once your hands are developed your feet should be the next focus

Rizzo

Reaction score
My suggestions

1. force youself to think rhythmically and come up with grooves on the spot, either on the drums or tapping here and there with your hands. learn to always count (ex. 4\4) under your grooves. approach "drummer's thinking": be conscious of what's a groove opposed to what's a fill, for example.
2. get a pad and some regular sticks. no purpose on starting with 5Bs, get regular 5As that are lighter and regular sized
3. get an exercise book to work on fundamental rudiments (ex. Stick Control) and work on them with a metronome, applying them gradually to both hands and feet. learn to properly hold sticks and always play with a straight back and shoulders, but relaxed. also, learn some basic 4\4 grooves after your rudiments! the classic pop-rock beats for example. you'll find plenty of drum sheets on the net. also, sight reading drum scores isn't as difficult as it seems. it's just symbols with a timing value, no harmony! lol
4. drums "maintenance": keep your tom surfaces parallel to the floor (as similar as possible to your snare\floor tom) not at an angle towards you. think about your wrist movement, it doesn't make sense to tap on an angled or vertical surface, does it? also, try to keet the whole kit as tight as possilble, you need to minimise your movements!
5. always practice with a metronome when possible, even if you're not properly "exercising". in a few words, "noodling" at a metronome too would be the best!
6. always have fun and be creative with rhythm! the rest will come with practice. also, constantly watch other drummers' videos and lessons, there's always something to learn. inspiration goes a long way! :)