Which 8 String guitar should I get?

• Thread starter horacexgrant
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

horacexgrant

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been using my Ibanez 7 string for a long time and am thinking about getting an 8 string guitar. But since it seems difficult to test out many 7 and 8 string guitars in person at a store, I'm wondering how I can see if I would be suitable for a brand other than Ibanez, since I know Ibanez is known for their thinner necks and my hands are only average in size.

Should I still play it safe with an Ibanez 8 string or what would be the best way to see if I can experiment and try out another brand in order to go outside my box and find one that sounds potentially better (will other brands significantly alter the sound? Or is that still mostly the other gear?)?

I mostly shred and solo on my guitars but I do want that extra lower string to experiment with new lower riffs. I always have a floating bridge for whammy bar stuff, but I'm open to a fixed bridge. My max price point would probably be $1000. Any tips on specific models and of course, the difference in guitar brands? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
the rg8 would be the safest bet...its cheap, decent and easy to sell quickly if you find out you hate 8's

if you end up liking it, the rg8 would be a great back-up or use to trade up to a better guitar later.

Bforber

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd also say go for the RG8.

It's got decent stock pickups and is infinitely customizable if you want to sink some money into it later.

Make sure you go somewhere and play one before you buy it, though. I've heard more than a few stories about RG8s with bad necks, including the one I bought.

Action

Reaction score
The pickups will affect the sound quite a bit. My experience is people buy Ibanez guitars then replace the pickups = my own personal running joke that nobody actually likes stock ibanezs. It's a subjective myth, as usual; I like my stock schecter, and for every one of me there's also guys who hate EMG pickups.

You said you were intersted in playing a variety of guitars, you might even find that most brands have a neck you like, if you can accomplish this, but I agree it is not easy. You have to find a specific music store location that has a few different models of 8 laying around, and hope none of them are set up too horribly to evaluate. Another possibility; look at a few physically nearby guitars on craigslist, with no intention of actually buying, just to go and physically hold and play someones Agile/schecter/29" baritone scale beast/etc

areyna21

Reaction score
You can find a rg2228 prestige for under a thousand and dollars or around. They are great guitars that I'm sure you will love. I didn't like the frets on the rg8 because it just felt rough to me. You can also find esp/ltd sc608b guitars for around 500-600 bucks and they are also really good guitars.

House74

Perfect Djentleman
Reaction score
I have a Schecter Damien Platinum 8 that is a fantastic guitar and only cost me about $500 used in new condition. I could easily recommend that. I also got a chance to play a 2014 era Schecter Blackjack C-8. it was an amazing guitar and the Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentient set sounded awesome. The neck is super comfortable, and i'm actually considering selling my Damien Elite 8 and Omen 8 to get one of them. It was about $949 before any discounts at GC but I say you could probably snag one easily for about 700-750

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Another possibility; look at a few physically nearby guitars on craigslist, with no intention of actually buying, just to go and physically hold and play someones Agile/schecter/29" baritone scale beast/etc

:fawk:

This is a dick move...I've had people do this. I list it, take time off of work because they text and tell me they want to come check it out, and then they show up with no $ and no intention of buying, they just wanted to play it...and they actually TELL me this...

I've basically started asking people if they're just coming to try it out or if they're interested in buying....if they tell me they just want to try it out I tell them I'm busy.

I'm listing it to SELL, not trying to make friends with people that want to try out my gear.

The guys that say they're interested in buying usually show up with $ and take it home.

Sorry for the rant...if I'm interested in a new guitar I do a bunch of research and then buy one. If I hate it I move it on...I don't sit in the guy's house testing out his guitar before deciding.

trem licking

Reaction score
get an agile 827 with a floyd rose. 27" will be the best compromise in tone/tension if you get wild with the wammy bar, and they are cheap if you get a bolt on non pro model. i miss the hell out of my floyds when i dont have them... i cant believe more brands arent using 8 string floyds

horacexgrant

Reaction score
get an agile 827 with a floyd rose. 27" will be the best compromise in tone/tension if you get wild with the wammy bar, and they are cheap if you get a bolt on non pro model. i miss the hell out of my floyds when i dont have them... i cant believe more brands arent using 8 string floyds

I checked it out and it's about $600 on Amazon which is good. But will the neck be thicker/wider than an average Ibanez 8 string? I'm afraid I won't be able to shred well on it if it doesn't play as easily as an Ibanez. What do you think?

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Schecter Damien Platinum 8 that is a fantastic guitar and only cost me about $500 used in new condition. I could easily recommend that. I also got a chance to play a 2014 era Schecter Blackjack C-8. it was an amazing guitar and the Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentient set sounded awesome. The neck is super comfortable, and i'm actually considering selling my Damien Elite 8 and Omen 8 to get one of them. It was about $949 before any discounts at GC but I say you could probably snag one easily for about 700-750

Actually, Blackjack 8's can be found regularly at $550 and below. The Damien Platinum would most likely be even lower. I know the Damien Elite is around $350 used on GC.

trem licking

Reaction score
If you are interested in the agile 827 floyd rose model, buy it off of rondomusic.com site, they are as low as 399 right now. As for the neck, I dont think they are as thin as ibanez and I havent played their 8 string models yet. I have an agile 930 9 string and the neck on that is plenty comfortable though.

horacexgrant

Reaction score
If you are interested in the agile 827 floyd rose model, buy it off of rondomusic.com site, they are as low as 399 right now. As for the neck, I dont think they are as thin as ibanez and I havent played their 8 string models yet. I have an agile 930 9 string and the neck on that is plenty comfortable though.

Thanks, yea I was looking at that site too. Do you think this Agile 827 would be good for average sized hands? I currently play a 7 string Ibanez and it feels pretty good..just wondering if changing it up to Agile would affect my ease of shredability. I did notice that the Agile 827's neck is about 2mm wider at the nut. would this be significant?

also, do you think it's worth the $50 extra to get ebony fretboard? I've never really paid attention to these details previously.

Thanks!

trem licking

Reaction score
i have no problems with my agile 930 and it is 9 strings and 30" scale and i have average sized hands. keep in mind that rondo music has a very good return policy, so you can return it if it is uncomfortable for you. As far as an ebony fretboard goes, that is purely subjective and only has aesthetic value. functionally they are equal and have no affect on sound. That being said, I love the look of ebony so $50 more would be worth it for me.

horacexgrant

Reaction score
i have no problems with my agile 930 and it is 9 strings and 30" scale and i have average sized hands. keep in mind that rondo music has a very good return policy, so you can return it if it is uncomfortable for you. As far as an ebony fretboard goes, that is purely subjective and only has aesthetic value. functionally they are equal and have no affect on sound. That being said, I love the look of ebony so $50 more would be worth it for me.

thanks a lot man, appreciate it

diablo_man

Reaction score
Couple hundered? You can get a Carvin for less, especially in the US.

None of which are multiscale, regarding the carvins.

And given that the AUS exchange rate is actually really good, they are as cheap as even a moderately specced carvin.