Which amp/preamp/pedal is your core high gain tone based on?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
“British flavour” seems the most accurate description. Boost a real marshall or a modelled rockerverb or a real 5150 running plexi gain (crunch channel). 99% the rockerverb or fuzzed bass amp.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
When it comes to plugins I'm using (mostly Neural Amp Modeler, NAM) I switch it up a lot, but its usually a Fortin, Marshall AFD, or Friedman JEL profile. I tend not to use any effects either.

For the 1% of my time I get to play through a physical amp, I'm digging my Randall RD20H w/ matching 1x12 cab. No pedals, just straight amp. These Fortin-Designed Randall's are total sleepers for rock and metal players.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Is this the Pharaoh or the Pharaoh supreme?
Regular Pharaoh. AFAICT the supreme just has more clipping options, doesn't seem worth the price tag to me. I use the silicone diode 95% of the time. It chugs, it chainsaws, it d00ms. I'm planning to swap it for a Coven soon. I've tried a lot of fuzzes and for me this one is the tops.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Typically something James Brown had a hand in designing or something Eddie had input on (currently the latter, a 5153 EL34 50w), with TS family box (SD-1 has been my recent favorite).

That being said, an orange tiny terror plus heavy upfront EQ and a boost was one of the nastiest death metal tones I’ve had.

4Eyes

Reaction score
KSR Ceres with TwoNotes 6L6 or KT88 PP power amp simulation with any traditional sized 412 V30 cab emulation

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mesa Triaxis or Fayette Deliverance in modeler world.

KSR Orion with a source audio eq2 to tone match (lol) to the Triaxis and Deliverance in analog world. I basically do what a Kemper does manually, can make a post of anyone's interested.

Latest posts