Which amp/preamp/pedal is your core high gain tone based on?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I recently discovered the magic of an OCD boosting a Laney IRT studio into a Fryette cab. Works with every single guitar I have too without even touching the settings, at whisper volume or at stage volume.

I love that chain, even if it's pretty unconventional.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My "go to" high gain tone is the Recto patch on my AxFx-2, but my trusty #2 is a boosted JVM patch, and one day I'll get around to editing the 5153 patch to be usable and not just clip out like a motherfucker.
Which Recto do you favor? I've mostly been using the Orange vintage and modern or the Red Modern.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Which Recto do you favor? I've mostly been using the Orange vintage and modern or the Red Modern.

Full disclosure: all my patches are from the previous owner, as I'm way too lazy to RTFM, but this one is Recto 2 - Red Vintage; which is surprising since I've always associated Rectos as "clean, vintage (orange), modern (red)" so the fact that it's Red Vintage sort of undos what my brain knows about them

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Full disclosure: all my patches are from the previous owner, as I'm way too lazy to RTFM, but this one is Recto 2 - Red Vintage; which is surprising since I've always associated Rectos as "clean, vintage (orange), modern (red)" so the fact that it's Red Vintage sort of undos what my brain knows about them
Right on! I'm a nerd and like making patches and at first I kind of hated the Recto on the Axe 2.

Watching one of @Guitarjon's videos on Korn tones I just copied his real amp settings, used a Recto w/57 stock IR and bam! That was one tone I was looking for nailed. No deep dive editing either. This was my approach with the Orange Modern/Vintage as well as the Red and Red Modern amps.

For other sounds I just tweak the tone controls a little and maybe use my SD1 or Protone Dino for a boost and it rocks.

Last edited:

adrianb

Reaction score
I think i'm a Dual Rectifier guy at heart but i've only ever played the R-fier model on my Roland Cubes since 2006. Sometimes i boost with a Bad Monkey. (Side question: can anybody who's had the chance to compare the R-fier with the real deal tell me how close they are?)

For recording i switch between the Neural DSP Fortin Cali and the Plini, mostly the Plini.

4Eyes

Reaction score
(Side question: can anybody who's had the chance to compare the R-fier with the real deal tell me how close they are?)
until profiling or component modelling became a thing (think AxeFX II generation, Helix..) almost all Recto simulations sounded more or less like the same boomy can of bees with different amount of scoop - you can still experience this in the cheap multi FX units. It's almost impossible to dial out sub bass boominess and fizzy bees, it's like this is our interpretation of Recto character and you can do nothing about it. which sounds nothing like properly dialled Recto, EQ interacts differently and they're versatile amps, especially old 2ch..

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
until profiling or component modelling became a thing (think AxeFX II generation, Helix..) almost all Recto simulations sounded more or less like the same boomy can of bees with different amount of scoop - you can still experience this in the cheap multi FX units. It's almost impossible to dial out sub bass boominess and fizzy bees, it's like this is our interpretation of Recto character and you can do nothing about it. which sounds nothing like properly dialled Recto, EQ interacts differently and they're versatile amps, especially old 2ch..
I think that's why I didn't like the Axe 2's models at first because I was used to the boomy can of bees lmao

Thankfully they sound much better than that!

Shask

Reaction score
I generally end up with something 5150 or Recto based with an EQ in the loop for some mid scoopage.

However, the Synergy system is giving me some cool new flavors to mess with.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Revv (rhythms mostly) and Archon (my go to lead).
ENGL if I'm feeling like something different.

Mk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
29 Pedals EUNA

Bondi Effects Sick As Shredroom
Fryette Deliverance II 60
Hesu 4*12

Warm Audio Centavo
Synergy Fryette Pitbull Ultralead
Fryette 2502S Poweramp
Engl 2*12 with DV-77 and Fryette P50
Hesu 2*12