Which Asian food reigns supreme?

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Well?

• Chinese

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Japanese

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Vietamese

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Korean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thai

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Filipino

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Mongolian BBQ

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
Fried rice here involves usually cooked white rice, egg, peas/carrots/onions/ spices, soysauce, and a wok. lol

"Chahan" is the Japanese reading for the Chinese characters. So I'm sure it has a completely different reading in Chinese.

In Japan, "chahan" never has carrots and very very rarely has peas or onions (usually has green onions, though) and almost never has soysauce.

bostjan said:
Eric, do you cook with "Hing?" I find that just a tiny bit of it makes food taste more "asian." It's one spice that tastes absolutely awful on it's own, but works great in small ammounts with the right food.

Hing? I've never heard of that before. Is it a Chinese spice?

I rarely try to make my food taste "Asian" since I'm eating Asian food every single frickin' day (pretty natural considering where I live). The only Chinese food I ever made was chahan and I made it Japanese-style, anyway. I guess people might say "You make Ramen. That's Chinese food." I'd reply "No, it's based off Chinese food, but that's 100% Japanese food. Kinda like Japanese-style Chinese food. It's not Japanese-Chinese food because Japanese ramen doesn't exist in any form in China...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
I would think about cutitng my own meat, but at almost 3 hours prep+cook time I can only make it on my days off. It's enough of a time sink at that point that cutting my own meat would drive me crazy. I've found that the stuff at Publix is very well cut, where-as if I had to shop somewhere like Walmart I would cut my own(more likely I'd go to a butcher shop over Walfart though, yuck).

They SELL meat at wal-mart? :ugh:

It's actually not that bad - it probably takes me an extra 5 minutes to thin-slice a decent cut of beef, and usually if it's not actually cheaper, it's at least no more expensive than the pre-sliced stuff.

That said, Know Thyne Butcher. If the guy's good, then there's not much sense doing it yourself, lol.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
They SELL meat at wal-mart? :ugh:

Yes they do, and it's not what you would call quality either. No butcher on hand what-so-ever, it's all prepackaged and shipped in by truck at night.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I voted Japanese but I like them all equally - well the americanized version of chinese is kind of bland - i attribute this to most chinese places catering to the all you can eat buffet crowd these days....thankfully there are a few good non buffet styles places close...

But teppanayaki ftw oo and tempura and udon...damnit now im hungry ... (mongolian bbq is a close second....)

Naren said:
Yes. In fact, when I was a kid, my father made wild rice that had lots of spices mixed in and he would cook a pheasant or quail with the wild rice and spices. It was dang good stuff. American rice. But quite different from soy sauce on rice or buillon cubes. I think most Americans probably think it's boring that just about every meal in Japan, China, or Korea comes with a bowl (or 2 or 3) of plain white rice. You don't put any sauce on it and you don't mix it with anything. You just eat it plain. I (and pretty much all Japanese) think it's delicious. I've known Japanese people who would go to a restaurant and order just white rice by itself and eat it plain. I've done it myself once, actually.

Gohan FTW! I eat plain rice a lot. I like soy sauce (especially dark soy) but a little goes a long way but i prefer plain rice ...

Im suprised no one has mentioned ice cream with red beans - Sounds gross - looks gross - tastes awesome . I dont eat it a lot (not real big on sweets) but I enjoy it....

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Vegetta said:
Im suprised no one has mentioned ice cream with red beans - Sounds gross - looks gross - tastes awesome . I dont eat it a lot (not real big on sweets) but I enjoy it....

You mean Azuki ice cream? I don't think it looks gross... I prefer green tea flavored ice cream, especially when it's got kuromitsu. Mmmm. Hagen Dasz (however the hell it's spelled) has lots of Japan-specific flavors here. I've had most of them, but I'm drawing a blank on them now. I'm sure there was mochi-flavored ice cream too... or was that Kinako...?

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really like Gyoza, my mother makes it all the time, good stuff.

The worst Japanese food ever in my opinion is Nato, could never stand even the smell of it...

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shawn said:
I really like Gyoza, my mother makes it all the time, good stuff.

The worst Japanese food ever in my opinion is Nato, could never stand even the smell of it...

Yeah, but Gyouza is technically Chinese food (they're called "potstickers" in English. I forget the Chinese word for it). Although it's so popular that it's become Japanese food just like Italian food like lasagna, spaghetti, and pizza have become American food.

Yeah, I hate Yamaimo no tororo and nattou. I hate any of those slimy sticky food. I don't think Nattou tastes that bad, but I hate the smell and the texture. Yamaimo no tororo doesn't taste or smell bad at all, but it reminds me of something gross...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thai, although Japanese is a close second.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Wow. 6 to 6 tie between Japanese and Thai now. Thai was out to a very bad start, but has pulled it's way up there. Looks like a pretty even match popularity-wise.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I miss Japan, I will have to go visit my relatives there in the future. I used to eat alot of Yakisoba, Oyaku-donburi (spelling might be off) too but I also ate alot at McDonalds, Skylark as well. In Machida City, there were so many great places, I miss it.

Joel2

Regular SS Orgasm
Reaction score
I have to go with Japanese, because I love sushi. However, Cambodian didn't make the list but is very good. It's somewhere between Thai and Vietnamese. There are curries and some distinct spices in the stews all mixed in with the sliced grilled meats. OMG!!!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Joel said:
I have to go with Japanese, because I love sushi. However, Cambodian didn't make the list but is very good. It's somewhere between Thai and Vietnamese. There are curries and some distinct spices in the stews all mixed in with the sliced grilled meats. OMG!!!

That reminds me. Just this past week, I had curry 3 times. Once at an Indian restaurant, once at a Sri Lankan restaurant, and once at a Japanese restaurant. It was the first time I had ever had Sri Lankan food before. Very similar to Indian food, but slightly different. The Indian curry I had was great. My meal came with nan, rice, 2 different curries, and yogurt. Everything was great.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Come on, just one more vote for Thai… :lol:

Only time I had Sri Lankan food, it was exactly like Indian food. *shrug* I'm sure there are plenty of differences…but I could not tell the difference, and I'm a huge fan of Indian food.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I love a good Chinese buffet, I'd rather have thai food.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
I voted Thai but would have preferred Indian. Indian Curry's are pretty much a national dish in England now. I think it's because Fish and Chips and Roast Beef have become a bit old hat.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dormant said:
I voted Thai but would have preferred Indian. Indian Curry's are pretty much a national dish in England now. I think it's because Fish and Chips and Roast Beef have become a bit old hat.

Time for bostjan to visit England. :agreed: Which reminds me, I have some home-made kitcheri in the 'fridge.