Which cab and poweramp to buy?

SevenHillz

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I'm looking for a 2x12 cabinet std or vertical which sounds tight in the low mids with musical, not harsh highs. I'm playing 7 string guitars (djent/prog) and I also have a fusion/funk style band (more classic strat tone).

I'm looking for a versatile cab to use with my Kemper Profiling Amplifier.

My options are:
1. Engl Pro Vertical v30
2. Zilla Fatboy
3. Mesa Rectifier vertical (too expensive since I live in the EU but maybe will find a 2nd hand one)
4. Orange PPC212
5. Evh 5150
Budget : 700-750 eur max.

What poweramp should i buy? I have in mind the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 since is smaller and fits inside the back of the rack.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have a Zilla fat boy 2x12 with v30 / k100 combo and it’s a fantastic cab, very solid, and Paul is a great guy.

I read online that he designed the fat boy 2x12 to be kind of a cross between the Mesa Recto 2x12 and the Orange PPC212, but I don’t know if it’s true.

When I was cab shopping, I was looking for a used Mesa 2x12 but they were all more than a new Zilla so that’s just what I went with.

SevenHillz

Reaction score
I have a Zilla fat boy 2x12 with v30 / k100 combo and it’s a fantastic cab, very solid, and Paul is a great guy.

I read online that he designed the fat boy 2x12 to be kind of a cross between the Mesa Recto 2x12 and the Orange PPC212, but I don’t know if it’s true.

When I was cab shopping, I was looking for a used Mesa 2x12 but they were all more than a new Zilla so that’s just what I went with.
Thanks! Could you describe the sound of the v30/k100 combo? I know guys usually combine v30 with g12h-75 :D

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thanks! Could you describe the sound of the v30/k100 combo? I know guys usually combine v30 with g12h-75 :D

I’m not sure I can really give any meaningful descriptions of how it compares to anything else, as it’s the only cab I’ve used for some time now, apart from a little boxy-sounding 1x12 I used before I got the 2x12 (which I blend with it sometimes, stereo power amps are fun).

But I will say the K100 seems to make the cab a bit more ‘full frequencied’ As it is less mid-heavy than the v30 with more lows and highs. Overall it’s real balanced, I can’t say I ever feel like it’s too dark, or bright, or anything like that.

I did consider a creamback in combo with the v30, but 99% of the time I’m playing metal, and everyone who tried the v30 / k100 combo seemed to love it for metal. If I was more interested in versatility I probably would have went with the creamback.