Which combo amp? MKIV pricing?

• Thread starter Blind Faith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Faith

Reaction score
I have a Mesa MKIV medium head + 2x12 rec cab that I have had for years but it just sits and never gets used to it's full potential so I am thinking about selling for a cheaper combo amp.
Does anyone have any suggestions what to look up with similar sounds to the mkiv but a bit cheaper?

Also what sort of price should I be asking for the head+cab in GBP £?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a mark iv 112?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The Mesa 50 cal with a graphic eq is supposed to sound sort of mark-like. Comes in a 112 and can be had much cheaper.

Or why not just trade your cab for a 112? Idk if a combo will get any more use than a head.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
If being able to use it at a decent volume is the issue, sell the cab, buy a torpedo captor, crank the amp to your heart's content. If you need a gigging setup then sell the cab and get a 1x12 or something.
If you just want a different amp, then yeah the 50 cal plus has kind of a mark vibe. Downside is they're probably not easy to find outside of the US.
dunno about pricing over in scotland

Blind Faith

Reaction score
I think that is exactly the issue I can't use it at a decent volume, don't gig any more so need for a loud set up.
I did like the sound/ look of that victory kraken head and get a 1x12 cab to go with it but seems to be mixed reviews.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I think that is exactly the issue I can't use it at a decent volume, don't gig any more so need for a loud set up.
I did like the sound/ look of that victory kraken head and get a 1x12 cab to go with it but seems to be mixed reviews.
I have a mesa mk3 that I use with my captor. I don't even use my 2x12 cab any more since I got it. If you're just playing at home, it's a better option than trying to buy completely new stuff that won't really achieve the mark sound.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Well, nothing is going to sound like the Mark IV, in my experience. I was able to get pretty excellent low volume sounds out of the ones I had, too. These amps have great master volumes, and while they don't work as well as they do on stage, they do still work better than most tube amps in an apartment.

Anyway...I got a PRS MT15 and it made me sell both of my Mark IVs.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Oh, for reference...I sold my 2 Mark IVs for $1100 and $1275 (based on age and condition). The 212s I usually see for around $400...these are USD. No clue on the GBP pricing.