Which Pickup? D Activator, SD SH4 JB or SD Solar

soundbase

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing the stock bridge pickup on my Fender Stagemaster 7. These are the options I'm looking at

DiMarzio D Activator 7 - which I can get new from Amazon
Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB - found this on a local FB Music group for a good price
Seymour Dunca Solar - Don't know much about these. Guessing its an Ola Englund Signature model. Also found these on a local FB Music Group.
Bare Knuckle Juggernaut Bridge - also from an FB Group

My budget is around the $100 which is the reason was looking at the D Activator, and then the other used ones also fall in that price bracket (the Solar includes the Bridge and Neck)

I haven't got means to test these out, so looking for opinions on these models, so can make a good decision. But I am probably more likely to get either the D Activator or Bare Knuckle Juggernaut

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

geetar_geek79

Reaction score
D Activator - very high output, but in an open, uncompressed way. I have them on the majority of my 'metal' guitars and shredders for both neck and bridge.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
I would say Dimarzio, plus buying new (if in the U.S.) pretty sure you can still swap it with Dimarzio if its not to taste. Also the X2N I put into mine last week dropped straight in, so no need to worry about tab shapes which may or may not be a concern with the other types.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I had a D Activator in my 7 string awhile ago. It sounds really good and has a ton of output. It really slams the input of the amp hard. At least my amp it did (Mesa)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The D-Activator is a safe bet, especially when buying new since you can return/exchange it. I've had the D-Activator 7 in a bunch of guitars and it's consistantly good as an all-around heavy pickup :yesway: not the most versatile on its own, but you can pull off a good range of sounds if you pair it up with a lower output neck pickup

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Solars are not made in USA Duncans, if that matters. They are based on a 59 and Custom 5, though.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Depends on what you want... D-activator and Solar are more modern than JB, and in wrong guitar JB just sounds very thin and lifeless because it has way more high and mid frequencies than lows. Solar has scooped mids, but great dynamics and clarity because of alnico5 magnet. It's really Ola's sound, for me there is bit too much low end. D-activator would be safest option for modern metal type of sound, it's balanced and if you like DiMarzio pickups in general it will be great.

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a D-activator in my Solar 1.7 Burl and its an absolutely savage pickup for metal. Really tonally balanced across the board and completely immune to muddiness.

The Duncan Solars that came in it stock were really good and versatile though. But I wanted something hotter and a bit brighter.

soundbase

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I'm gonna go with the D Activator