Which pups Hellraiser C7

• Thread starter markbolwell54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markbolwell54

Reaction score
Thinking about changing the pups in my Schecter Hellraiser C7 purely because I feel like trying something different.

The only worry I have is spending a couple of hundred on some pups that I don't like so was looking for some opinions and what to go for?

Options are BKP's now that they do soap bar size or blackouts? I have played blackouts in an RGA7 did like the sound but it just seems like the obvious safe bet.

I play standard B and drop A tunings, melodic metal but do like bands like After the Burial, For Today, I the Breather.

So which pups do people recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyman

Reaction score
Is that the Mahogany one? Get BKP Aftermaths and 1 meg pots. It sounds awesome. Ken Lawrence suggested it to me, while speccing out my guitar, and I decided to try it. It's definitely going to be what I use in that guitar.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Seymour Duncan is offering their new passive 7/8 string pickups in soapbar covers, as well as the invader, and distortion. Don't know about current stock in your country, though.

Mike

Reaction score
Everyone's going to say some form of Bare Knuckles (Aftermaths, Nailbomb etc.) But my vote goes for the DiMarzio D Activator 7. I have a set in my Mahogany ESP LTD AW-7 and I am absolutely floored at the tone I get out of them. They completely destroy the 707's. None of the low end mud poop. ( I actually traded my C7 to help fund my new ESP) But the D Activators are like literally half the price of an aftermath set.

Mike

Reaction score
I have an 81-7 in my Viper but dont like the sound. too thin to my ears, i prefer the 707 over the 81-7.

I too had this problem, but it's actually not 100% the pickups fault. That guitar had other issues that ESP would not acknowledge (Like a terrible batch of wood or a construction flaw) and as a result the Viper 407's (if that's the model you are making reference too) Sound completely thin and almost like they have a really low output or something ( I got rid of mine for that reason)And also ESP does not make them any more :scratch:

markbolwell54

Reaction score
I too had this problem, but it's actually not 100% the pickups fault. That guitar had other issues that ESP would not acknowledge (Like a terrible batch of wood or a construction flaw) and as a result the Viper 407's (if that's the model you are making reference too) Sound completely thin and almost like they have a really low output or something ( I got rid of mine for that reason)And also ESP does not make them any more :scratch:

Yeah I have the 407 but I have put the 707 in the bridge and it is brutal as ...., really heavy sounding but a bit on the dark side for my style.

markbolwell54

Reaction score
Anyone else got any recomendations or any experience of a hellraiser with different pups?

I spoke to BKP yesterday and they are recomending Aftermaths, Nailbomb or Holydiver. The only thing I am a little worried about is that I've always played active pickups.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I've really been trying to spread the word about Lundgren's M series lately.

The covered version that fits and EMG route looks like this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400631_601831069834849_1617266313_n.jpg

On the Lundgren site:
Humbucker | Lundgren.se | Guitar Pickups - Stratocaster® - Telecaster® - P-90® - Humbucker - Bas

Made in Sweden. Meshuggah's signature pickup. The only pickup that I would consider perfect. It has unbelievable tightness, but is also thick. Massive attack and dynamics with an eq curve that really works. It's so clear and so smooth at the same time.

I've been preaching about these pickups like I'm spreading the gospel or something, but they don't get enough love.

I acquired an M8 and will never swap it out because it's perfect. It looks pricey, but it's so much cheaper than the swapping game we've all played before.

Mike

Reaction score
I always played actives too, but after getting sick of the same tone, I made the switch to passives and haven't looked back. Overall I feel passives are much more versatile. Don't fall for the misconception that just because a pickup is active it will command more power. Definitely not the case.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
Well if you dont like the 81-7, did you like the SD Blackout Bridge? I like em, even tho im an EMG person, actually Im VERY impressed with SD in there ballsy attempt to give em some active competition, i like blackouts alot

markbolwell54

Reaction score
I've now swapped the pups from my Viper into my C7 which means I've got a 81-7 in the bridge now.

1st impressions are that its nice and snappy but lacks the balls of the 707.

Now that I've swapped all the wiring over (plus one hell of a soldering burn on my finger) I can easily swap pups around from 81-7, 707 and a friend of mine has kindly said I can borrow one of his blackouts to try. The reason I couldnt do this before is that the 707TW are 7 pin quick connect so cant swap with 3 pin pups.

The EMG X series look interesting though. Any had any experience with them?

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
My vote would be Lace bars. I have a Deathbar in the bridge and an X-bar in the neck of my Hellraiser and it sounds awesome! Super crisp and clean, and really keeps the clarity with high gain.

A_Damn_Moment

Reaction score
I swapped the emgs out of my hellraiser c7 for blackwater guitars neos and love them. Havent used many different 7 string pickups so not reviewing here.. just a heads up you may have to drill a hole to the bridge for a ground wire