Which would you buy? Jackson MJ Misha So-Cal or EBMM JP6 unloaded?

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
You can do like I do when making a decision like this. Wait long enough and they'll all be gone, decision made! :)
I am happy to see I am not alone in my mental acrobatics. I also use the reverb wishlist as a catalog. I keep looking at it until the novelty wears off and only buy something if it's really standing out among the bulk.

Back on topic: I have not had a Music Man that wasn't REALLY well made. I have had Jackson's (Japan mainly) that were less impressive.

Between OP's choices I'd go for the Music Man or the EII. But I wouldn't pay upward from 1300-1500 for the E-II knowing there's still a bunch of standards under 2k floating around. In my experience those are more consistent.

Good thing is all of these are great guitars so if you buy smart and don't like it you can move on to the next after selling it again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
There’s no way the unloaded JP is worth that, even in this market. I’ve bought one a few years ago for something like 800 CAD.

Between those 3, definitely the EC. Used to have an E-II Horizon with a sparkle paint job and it was nothing short of fantastic. High quality through and through.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
another guitar entered the mix:
PRS CE24 in Angry Larry finish.

Even so, after a lot of back & forth I decided to go with the 2015 EBMM JP6 unloaded because it would be the most different from the other guitars in my collection. Just awaiting for its arrival in the mail now!
If it's an older ce24 then yes I would have went for that. Newer one? Eeeh

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I play both the Eclipse II Honey Burst and JP6 Stealth today. Among all my guitars - several USA/MIJ, the JP6 is by far the best guitar I've played. It's so simple, but very unique.
Great to hear! Excited for it to arrive tomorrow!

There’s no way the unloaded JP is worth that, even in this market. I’ve bought one a few years ago for something like 800 CAD.

Between those 3, definitely the EC. Used to have an E-II Horizon with a sparkle paint job and it was nothing short of fantastic. High quality through and through.
$800 CAD? Wow. I'd consider that to be extremely rare from what I've seen. Excluding the shipping and Paypal fee I paid $1870 CAD ($1367 USD), lol.

I have never seen one go for that low before! Lowest ones I've seen in the past 5 years or so for a 2015 or newer have been like $1800 range, and even that's pretty rare. In the past 10 years the cheapest JP6 I've ever seen sell was like $1300 CAD. If I were to suggest anything lower than $1800-ish I'd be laughed at, and trust me, I have, lol.

If it's an older ce24 then yes I would have went for that. Newer one? Eeeh
Yeah, its a newer one. Looked gorgeous, but yes, the new CE's just don't have the magic of the old ones in my experience. I also have an S2 Standard Satin 24 so I have the 'PRS vibe' covered already. Only thing I'd change about the S2 Standard I have is the lack of bird inlays, which of course are now being offered on the S2 Standard Satin models and they look so much better than those huge dots. That said, I got mine (a 2022 model I believe) brand new for nearly 65% of the current price of the new 2024 models.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I dont think thats a bad price. I paid the same price for my JP6 Stealth with Piezo 3 years ago, but I would pay the same money for the same guitar without the piezo. It was fun the first day, after that I'm using the humbuckers 100% of the time :) I put a C-Bomb in the bridge, and now I cant stop playing it - even though the D-Sonic was nice too.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I dont think thats a bad price. I paid the same price for my JP6 Stealth with Piezo 3 years ago, but I would pay the same money for the same guitar without the piezo. It was fun the first day, after that I'm using the humbuckers 100% of the time :) I put a C-Bomb in the bridge, and now I cant stop playing it - even though the D-Sonic was nice too.
Cool!

Yeah, even though the piezo would be super cool, I feel like my experience would be similar to yours--I would rarely use it.

It wont be anytime soon, but when I get some spare funds I plan to grab some BKP's to replace the CL/LF combo. Was thinking of grabbing my fave pickup set (BKP Riff Raffs) that I no longer own and throwing them in the JP6.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Cool!

Yeah, even though the piezo would be super cool, I feel like my experience would be similar to yours--I would rarely use it.

It wont be anytime soon, but when I get some spare funds I plan to grab some BKP's to replace the CL/LF combo. Was thinking of grabbing my fave pickup set (BKP Riff Raffs) that I no longer own and throwing them in the JP6.

Riff Raffs are great! Also very underrated for metal 😄 I'm sure they will be a slightly untraditional for the JP, but great choise. I had the bridge version installed in a Flying V, they had a lot of balls om the high gain.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Riff Raffs are great! Also very underrated for metal 😄 I'm sure they will be a slightly untraditional for the JP, but great choise. I had the bridge version installed in a Flying V, they had a lot of balls om the high gain.
Definitely! I used to have a Riff Raff 7 string bridge and Mule neck in drop F#. The Riff Raff was the best tone I've ever gotten out of a guitar. Blew me away.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Great to hear! Excited for it to arrive tomorrow!

$800 CAD? Wow. I'd consider that to be extremely rare from what I've seen. Excluding the shipping and Paypal fee I paid $1870 CAD ($1367 USD), lol.

I have never seen one go for that low before! Lowest ones I've seen in the past 5 years or so for a 2015 or newer have been like $1800 range, and even that's pretty rare. In the past 10 years the cheapest JP6 I've ever seen sell was like $1300 CAD. If I were to suggest anything lower than $1800-ish I'd be laughed at, and trust me, I have, lol.

Yeah, its a newer one. Looked gorgeous, but yes, the new CE's just don't have the magic of the old ones in my experience. I also have an S2 Standard Satin 24 so I have the 'PRS vibe' covered already. Only thing I'd change about the S2 Standard I have is the lack of bird inlays, which of course are now being offered on the S2 Standard Satin models and they look so much better than those huge dots. That said, I got mine (a 2022 model I believe) brand new for nearly 65% of the current price of the new 2024 models.
Yeah, it was definitely a lucky strike, but you could find them for these prices from time to time back in the 2015-2018. Even found another one at a local L&M for 850 CAD in 2016. Seeing these crazy prices, I kind of wish I would have bought it as well lol.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Yeah, it was definitely a lucky strike, but you could find them for these prices from time to time back in the 2015-2018. Even found another one at a local L&M for 850 CAD in 2016. Seeing these crazy prices, I kind of wish I would have bought it as well lol.
crazy times lol

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Got her the other day. Aside from a small ding near the forearm contour it seems to be in really good shape. Guitar has 9-42 Elixirs, which are cool, but I think I'll need to put some 10-46's on there asap.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Some pics:

Attachments

• ebmm jp6  3.jpg
    ebmm jp6 3.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ebmm jp6  4.jpg
    ebmm jp6 4.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ebmm jp6 2.jpg
    ebmm jp6 2.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ebmm jp6 5.jpg
    ebmm jp6 5.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ebmm jp6.jpg
    ebmm jp6.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 16

TheDandy

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Mine is a slightly darker blue 7 with the piezo, but has the unpainted headstock and dot inlays like yours. I actually find I prefer the unloaded aesthetic over the shield inlays and painted headstock. Congrats, hope you enjoy it!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Mine is a slightly darker blue 7 with the piezo, but has the unpainted headstock and dot inlays like yours. I actually find I prefer the unloaded aesthetic over the shield inlays and painted headstock. Congrats, hope you enjoy it!
Thanks!

Yeah, I find the dot inlays and unpainted headstock is looking much better in real life!
Beautiful!
Thank you!

sell2792

Reaction score
Of those two, the JP6 no question. That being said, you can find used BFR's for around $2k so that would be my first choice.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad I read all the way through to see you went with the JP. I only had experience with a Sterling JP, so not sure as far as neck profile how different they are from the American EBMM ones. But Was still a really nice guitar in the mystic dream finish. I probably would've went the same route you did. I'm not a HSS guy. And as much as I absolutely love how the Eclipses look, I don't gel with them in terms of how they feel in my hand (i have the same problem with Majesties as well). Hope you enjoy the guitar for a good while.