Who are your favorite boutique luthiers?

• Thread starter Fret Me Nought
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I don't have a "favourite" since I own only one guitar made by a boutique brand, but my Amfisound is up there with every other high budget brands. I've owned it for something like 12 or 13 years at this point ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score

Taikatatti

Reaction score
Manninen Custom Instruments here in Finland. Not even considering ordering from other builders. I have 3 of his builds and Juho is great to work with.

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Barlow Guitars:

Ruokangas:
Barlow and Roukangas are some of the best in the game! I just listened to a podcast with Juha and he seems like a really interesting guy. A true industry vet

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't have a "favourite" since I own only one guitar made by a boutique brand, but my Amfisound is up there with every other high budget brands. I've owned it for something like 12 or 13 years at this point ?
I hadn't heard of them until now. I gave them a Google and really like what I see. They make some awesome Vs

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some great stuff has already been mentioned, so to not repeat:

Michael Sankey

Chris Forshage

Steve Klein

Tao Guitars
Sankey makes some super unique instruments. I love the aesthetics of Tao Guitars, but I'm not familiar with the other names. I'll have to look into them. Thanks!

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some great stuff has already been mentioned, so to not repeat:

Michael Sankey

Chris Forshage

Steve Klein

Tao Guitars
Sankey makes some super unique instruments. I love the aesthetics of Tao Guitars, but I'm not familiar with the other names. I'll have to look into them. Thanks!

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love Sankey's work, almost more like modern art than instruments. Not quite on the heavier music tip though.

Forshage is awesome, can basically build anything, and he's done 7-strings and heavy metal ready guitars.
The only guitars I've seen from Forshage are his original shapes. They are interesting, but not quite my style. I'll have to try and dig up some of his 7-string builds

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dean Gordon for sure, he's already gotten some mentions here. Probably the coolest and most ergonomic designs you can find right now.

Check out Stradi: https://stradi.pl/

Also Sully Guitars -- classic shapes but built to impeccable quality.
Yeah I do love Dean's work. He seems to have quite a few fans on here. Sully makes some cool stuff too. I've been following him for a while.

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Take a look at these two posts I made recently.

That's quite the list on there! You might really like my Instagram page @fret_me_nought. I've posted almost every single one of those brands

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Manninen Custom Instruments here in Finland. Not even considering ordering from other builders. I have 3 of his builds and Juho is great to work with.

That's a new one for me. I'll have to look into his work. Thanks for the input!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Last edited:

Fret Me Nought

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see a lot of Arda guitars on social media, but I know nothing about them. They might even only have3-4 body shapes, but I dig em a bit. They photograph well, at least. https://www.instagram.com/arda_guitars/

Are Acacia guitars any good? Some of their shapes are pretty neat. https://www.instagram.com/acaciaguitars/
I've heard great things about Arda Guitars. Acacia makes some really amazing looking stuff, but I've heard some not so good things about the brand itself

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Acacia's Cronus and carved top headless models look very compelling to me. Their site is having some issues and I can't find any prices, though. I'm guessing they probably start at around 4k$ USD and go up. That's about the bracket I see comparable outfits selling their guitars for.

Musiscience

Reaction score
They've been mentioned before, but it's just so easy to recommend Tom Anderson, Suhr and Vigier. Plus you know you're going to get a guitar when ordering.

soliloquy

Reaction score
No experiences with them. Always loved the way their Isabella guitar looked. Based on the prices, I would have assumed they are favorable guitars. Online community gives them variable reviews. Some warranted, others get the 'ick' from their religious angle

mikah912

Reaction score
Maybe this is a bit "homer"-ish of me, but Hinnant guitars right here in Georgia are spectacular and pretty nicely priced, comparatively speaking. They also happen to be gorgeous:

104525DC-B9CC-404F-A1B7-3C202830A5B0.jpg

01.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg