Who can build me a custom Ibanez Wizard 7 26" neck?

• Thread starter Albake21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about figuring out my favorite neck for 7 strings. I've tried 27" and 26.5" scales but they were too long for me. I play and enjoy 25.5" scale but the tension isn't the greatest. So I figured, why not a 26" scale? I've never seen this scale length used although I truly think it would be perfect. It would allow for slightly more tension while not feeling too long.

So, does anyone know a luthier who could build me an Ibanez Wizard neck for my RG but with a 26" scale?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work for very little reward.

We're talking <4% difference in tension, or less of a change from going from a .042" string to a .043" string, which would be just over 5%.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
A new neck is not sufficient.
Eventually, you will have to move the bridge as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A new neck is not sufficient.
Eventually, you will have to move the bridge as well.

Not if it's built as a conversion neck.

ConversionNecksCompared.jpg

You can work any bridge location changes into the neck pocket.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I use 26.25" for the lowest string on my multiscales. The tension difference is about a 59 instead of a 60 on a 25.5". There is a noticeable difference in clarity but not enough that I'd get a new neck made and the bridge moved. You'd be better off getting a full custom made instead with a 25.5 - 26.25" neck.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Not if it's built as a conversion neck.

/img/

You can work any bridge location changes into the neck pocket.

Yes, but a conversion neck gives the scale length. OP's desired scale won't work.
Messing around with the neck pocket might be even more complicated than moving a (fixed) bridge.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Well I hope you guys are happy, you have shattered my dreams!

Just kidding. Thanks everyone for the input, I guess it wouldn't be worth it then.

djohns74

Reaction score
Yes, but a conversion neck gives the scale length. OP's desired scale won't work.
Messing around with the neck pocket might be even more complicated than moving a (fixed) bridge.
A conversion neck can be built to any scale length that is desired, so long as the frets wind up in the correct spots. In this case, there would simply be a slightly wider gap between the 24th fret and the neck pickup rather than a 25th fret as would be possible on a 27" conversion. But there's no reason at all that it couldn't be done.

Having said that, I agree with the previous points that there wouldn't be enough of a difference to be worth it.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but have you experimented with a thicker string gauge?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but have you experimented with a thicker string gauge?
Of course, I've done it all. Experimented with the low string from a 64 all the way to a 74. I found 68 to be the sweet spot, but even then it can sound muddy.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about figuring out my favorite neck for 7 strings. I've tried 27" and 26.5" scales but they were too long for me. I play and enjoy 25.5" scale but the tension isn't the greatest. So I figured, why not a 26" scale? I've never seen this scale length used although I truly think it would be perfect. It would allow for slightly more tension while not feeling too long.

So, does anyone know a luthier who could build me an Ibanez Wizard neck for my RG but with a 26" scale?
Ive done 30 guitars in 26 inch scale. It's seriously barely noticable.

Latest posts