Who here uses an open tuning?

Reaction score
Mark Tremonti originally got me hooked by saying that he always experiments with all sorts of open tuning on his instruments whenever a bout of "writer's block" comes around. Same with Andy McKee and Mike Dawes.

For me, I use Open-C (Devin Townsend tuning on a six) or add the low-G (on a seven). On my acoustic, I tune to Open-C or Open-Dsus. (I like Dsus better than plain ol' D for some reason. Has more resonance.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I'm clearly boring in that I only use Open C, no extra extensions for me!

No worries man, we're in the same boat then :D P.S. I like the Mastodon avatar, wearing one of their shirts right now.

Open B Minor, B F# B F# B D
Probably the perfect tuning for drop tuned riffing and big, lush chord progressions :yesway:

One more vote to the Open B tuning, the anticipation grows...

Mine is in Csus4/9 according to Tuxguitar. CGDFA#D to be exact.

That's a cool take on open tuning. Also yay for tuxguitar :agreed:

John from Monuments exclusively uses open tunings. Not sure what the actual name of it is but he uses

G#-F-A#-D#-F-A#-D#
A#-F-A#-D#-F-A#-D#
F-A#-F-A#-D#-F-A#-D#

Here's his profile here and you an get in touch with him via formspring pretty easily.

Sevenstring.org - View Profile: John_Strychnine

Sweet, thanks for the tip dude :D Didn't actually know he used open tunings that frequently, just that him and Acle used a couple during their time in Fellsilent, IIRC.

My tuning is BEADGBE, so I guess I tune to open G6/9.

Can't go wrong with standard seven tuning :yesway:

Mark Tremonti originally got me hooked by saying that h always experience nuts with all sorts of open tuning on his instruments whenever a bout of writers block comes around. Sme with Andy McKee and Mike Dawes.

For me, I use Open-C (Devin Townsend tuning on a six) or add the low-G (on a seven). On my acoustic, I tune to Open-C or Open-Dsus. (I like Dsus better than plain ol' D for some reason. Has more resonance.)

Yep, promises of musical inspiration were the reason I tried the alternate tuning too. :lol: And seems like a common consensus is that such tuning makes playing more lush.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Open D add9

I use it for my acoustic, I can be playing for hours with it, nothing extremely creative :lol: but everything sounds beautiful on that tuning

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Open D add9

I use it for my acoustic, I can be playing for hours with it, nothing extremely creative :lol: but everything sounds beautiful on that tuning

That's a cool one :) The open tunings really are pretty.

In other news, I just broke the high E on my six tuning down, so that's put an end to my open tuned playing until I get a new set of strings/get my new guitar.

:(