Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylord

Reaction score
My parents bought me a really modded 7420 at a garage sale 4 years ago. Didn't know what to do with it. Browne is my favorite 7 stringer now.

kf7strng

Reaction score
It was Korn for me. My friends sister bought Life is peachy and I heard Good God, and that was it for me. Wanted one ever since then. I liked Wes Borland as well, but he actually had his 6th AND 7th strings tuned to C# most of the time. But korn....say what you want abut them... but that tone has stuck with me for years.

I got my first 7 string in high school. it was a musicians friend special ESP LTD MF-207 ( it was an F body with the skull inlays) Second was an RG7620 (this was the model Korn used touring quite a bit, other than their UV's)I told myself in 98 that I would own one.. and i FINALLY had one!! That was in 2010. Last Year, I bought a brand new RG7420. It is pretty cool. Tuning stability is better than the 7620 (probably had damaged knife edges). I upgraded the bridge pickup to a blaze neck.. and now i think I am in love. haha

ANYWAY... Long story short... KORN!!! (Supposdly even Steve Vai was blown away by what he heard them do with them)

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
For me it wasn't once person, I always had this thing where I would just reach for or hear lower notes that were not on the neck of a standard or dropped tune guitar.

I think when I got into Nile I really wanted one to do drop A, so I guess you could say it was Nile. Funnily enough I don't really play drop A at all now.

I think what sealed the deal for me was Dave Weiner
dave_weiner.jpg

because he didn't just do chuggy metal stuff. I Was like 'Wow, you can do other stuff on a seven?' I mean, objectively I knew you could but until you hear it you're always a little skeptical.

That said this riff:

Was a pretty powerful contender :D