Who inspired you to play 7-stringers??

• Thread starter s_k_mullins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
For 7's mostly, John Petrucci (Awake album) and Steve Vai.

8's, Meshuggah.

I would watch Lie music video a thousand times a day when I was 14, just because JP looked so cool with that green dot Universe!! :D

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BatuK

Reaction score
I sorta started late in the metal scene, first album I bought was Deep Purple a while back, then bought Shogun last September, and was liek

OMGHEAFYISSOAWESUMCUZHEPLAYS7STRING. Oh and then I started listening to Periphery, Meshuggah, etc

SettleMoore

Reaction score
Jeff loomis made me want to play pretty much, and I don't listen to that many 7 string bands, just thought it would be fun, and it is.

exordium

Reaction score
I always saw myself playing a seven string when i felt it was time to progress from a six string, which would basically be anytime i saw fit to buy one lol!

But it was defo Devin Townsend that started me on seriously looking into seven strings. Also some of my favourite guitarists use seven strings or have used them at least, Stephen Carpenter, the Meshuggah lads, Dino, Trey Azagthoth, Nergal among many others!

Vocals09.jpg

Is that a cockstock I spy? I didn't know he used to play ESPs. :scratch:

Sick looking guitar! :bowdown: :hbang:

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
The minute I started playing I started down-tuning. It was pretty much inevitable. Mushroomhead, Meshuggah, and Korn where some of the first bands I was introduced to, so that probably had something to do with it. I've always just felt E-standard was kinda boring.

myampslouder

Reaction score
I never even knew seven strings existed until I saw Korn playing them in the Freak On a Leash Video. I didn't really want one until I heard Obsolete but still wouldn't buy one because I didn't have a clue what I would do with it since nobody I knew had one. What finally made me buy one was my drummer/roommate nagging me saying "it's missing a string" everytime I looked at a 6 string, So I finally got one to shut him up and I've been hooked ever since. Even went as far as buying a second so my guitarist at the time could use one so we could start writing using seven strings

Zomboir

Reaction score
Misha Mansoor and Trey Azagthoth. Only just about to get my hands on my first seven string, but being into heavy music; the possibilities that the extra string opens up for me are exciting.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Steve brought back the 7 to the market in 90, but lots of people tuned down before that. Nobody influenced by Tony Iommi? And on the jazzy side, anybody heard of George van Eps?
I know - I'm a dinosaur ....

ppinkham

Reaction score
My grandpa turned me onto George Van Eps, and though I wasn't into jazz, I liked the sound of his 7-string. It was around '85 or '86, and I hadn't been playing guitar very long, but I was looking for something different. Of course, 7-strings weren't readily available to me at the time, so I stuck with the 6-string.

When Vai started playing a 7-string, and Ibanez started to sell one, I was excited to finally get my hands on one. However, money was tight for a while, so I kept putting off buying one. Plus, I was kind of over the whole strat-style guitar at the time.

Eventually, circumstances in my life had me putting music on hold, and I didn't touch a guitar for about 14 years. When Peavey announced the Devin Townsend PXD 7-string V, my interest came back. Especially when I saw this:

PasIvre

Reaction score
This forum and devin townsend, mostly. I was already downtuning and stuff, though, and wanted a bit more range.:agreed:

nkri

Reaction score
John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani initially turned me on to 7s. When I saw Dream Theater live for the first time last summer, I couldn't resist any longer and bought one.

JCD

Cody
Reaction score
I first saw Steve Vai use it but what really got me was John Petrucci. I also dug how KoRn and Wes Borland (don't poke fun haha) used it and then Dino from Fear Factory.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Even though he's more known to play 8-string guitars, Tosin Abasi inspired me to play 7's. Initially, I wanted to play an 8-string but since I was just starting, I felt that a 7 would be better for me.

Latest posts