Who's picking vol knob locations on these "metal" guitars?

• Thread starter MYGFH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I had this problem with my old Jackson a few years back. My solution was just to remove the knob. Just the knob. The pot was still there, looked kinda weird, but at least the only way I could mess with the volume was on purpose.

tedtan

Reaction score
Damn do you all flail around when you play guitar?

It's not necessarily a poor technique thing; if someone grew up playing a guitar with knobs further away from the bridge, like a Les Paul, moving to a strat or similar can require an adjustment (though I find the typical plastic strat knobs to be short enough that they don't bother me).

I am one of those holding the pich with the "OK sign".

Yesterday my band rehearsed and I played a new guitar, where I did't have the time to modify the knobs (as I posted earlier I swap tone and volume knob positions and disconnect the tone knob).
So I tried really hard not to roll the volume back with my pinky. And I failed miserably.
The incredibly crushing tone turned into a rocky crunch tone at mid-song and at the end of each song the entire signal got entirely eaten by the noise gate.
So I ended up tuct taping the knob off.

I think the reason is the combination of the OK sign picking and the fact that I palm mute a lot and I palm mute at the very end of the bridge so that there's not way of avoiding the damn vol knob.

You can probably get used to raising your pinky a bit so it clears the volume knob pretty easily, but moving the knob works, too.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Yeah but I guess I avoided the only niche situation where having the knobs and switches a few cm out of the way would be more comfortable to me :lol:

Even if you did play in a Hardcore band, you're making the case for the show and not when you're home practicing or in the studio recording.[/QUOTE

You don't get me. My point was that there are so many things that can and will go catastrophically wrong in that kind of live environment that whatever little techniques and improved form you were talking about can go right out the window in the face of just keeping your gear running and staying on your feet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Sure but if it was really that much of a nuisance there's plenty of possible solutions. Rewiring a mini toggle switch to turn the guitar into an on/off deal in the place of the volume knob. Or even on a minor scale just removing the knob for the show/taping it down at full volume so those minor knudges don't slowly turn your volume to zero.

I totally get you, but at the same time I'm explaining why it isn't a problem for me. My hand is curled into an almost-fist 90% of the time unless I'm hybrid picking and I never make contact with my knobs. My main guitar right now has them pretty close and even then I never feel it, if it was an issue for me I've long since overcome it.

It's different than on a Strat, it has the closest volume knob by design to the bridge/high e and sure I can definitely attest to that being slightly uncomfortable, but that's the worst case scenario design wise with the literal extreme.

Attachments

• knobsandshit.png
    knobsandshit.png
    568.3 KB · Views: 7