Who's using a Boss Katana?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I always see it mentioned in "what amp should I get threads." That got me looking and some of the videos and all the race reviews definitely have me considering trying out a 100 head.

What do you guys think of it?

Shask

Reaction score
I have a Katana Head. I love that little amp. The killer thing about the amp is the feel. It really does have a nice touch response that is better than almost any other digital unit out there. It really does have that nice tight, EL34 type response to it.

As far as tones, once you connect it to a computer with the editor, you can dial in just about anything. Use a Tubescreamer boost before the amp, and a Parametric EQ after the amp, and you can get about anything. The boosts and such really do give it a dramatically different feel and tone.... so, if you use a Tubescreamer, vs. a Big Muff model or something, the tone goes from tight tech metal, to sludgy stoner metal.

The stock combos can sound quite bright and bassless, so that is not always the best impression (and where many of the bad reviews come from). Connect it to a larger cabinet, and use the built in EQs to crank the bass and cut the presence, and it gets real chunky.

lewis

Reaction score
does this amp have secret hidden amps waiting to be unlocked too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
does this amp have secret hidden amps waiting to be unlocked too?

Through software manipulation the community has found that the Katana actually contains everything in the Boss GT-1 processor, except for the cab/mic models. So, it actually has around 28 amp models, and more effects not listed, such as the 2x2 chorus, and tera echo. The 3rd party editor can also use up to 5 effects at once instead of 3 like the stock editor.

There is suppose to be a big v2.0 update some time in Fall 2017, so everyone is kind of wondering what Boss will do, and if they will make all of this hidden stuff widely available.

inprognito

MONSTROSADUS
Reaction score
I've been regularly using the 100w 2x12 since October last year for my cover band and home practice. I love it. It continually impresses me. It takes pedals incredibly well.

dongh1217

Reaction score

Mine here used in the above clip, a mate re-amped some Ola's DI track, it cant get brutal as fuck, just as good as my real Marshall/Mesa/ENGL rig. Especially the Mesa Mark amp tone from Katana is dead on and worth the price alone.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I've been regularly using the 100w 2x12 since October last year for my cover band and home practice. I love it. It continually impresses me. It takes pedals incredibly well.
Well, I'd sure hope so. I mean, I seem to remember Boss making a few pedals in the past, but I don't think they were all that popular or something. :lol:

inprognito

MONSTROSADUS
Reaction score
Well, I'd sure hope so. I mean, I seem to remember Boss making a few pedals in the past, but I don't think they were all that popular or something. :lol:

I mean the amp sounds really good with dirt pedals which is kind of a rarity with digital amps. I use a Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal into the clean channel for most of my classic hard rock sounds.

I also made a panel that seals the back making it a closed back combo.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I love my Katana 100w head. Here a video I made seconds after opening the box:

For reference, I have a DMoll and a 5150 50w head + fx8 for my A & B rigs.
But lately we have been practicing on the 2nd floor, so I've been bringing the Kat. Of course it's not as good, but I could gig this no problem based on tone. Calculate the threat of theft and it makes it an easy choice.

But the best applications are quick jams at home and quick grab and go playing. It actually sounds really good through the headphone output too, which I typically loathe.

Great bang for buck, so many applications, must have IMO

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

Mine here used in the above clip, a mate re-amped some Ola's DI track, it cant get brutal as fuck, just as good as my real Marshall/Mesa/ENGL rig. Especially the Mesa Mark amp tone from Katana is dead on and worth the price alone.

I've seen that video. Good stuff. Iran one of the ones that has me kinda GASing for a Katana head. Although I reallllly don't need it. I need for Peavey to ship the damned Invective out lmao.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I've seen that video. Good stuff. Iran one of the ones that has me kinda GASing for a Katana head. Although I reallllly don't need it. I need for Peavey to ship the damned Invective out lmao.
Iran the country has you gassing for a katana? Hmmm...

Frysuspicious.jpg

Bobro

Reaction score
I have the Boss Katana Mini, cute as a bug and sounds great! Very "Brown sound", welcome to the heavy 70's, luv it. And great response, as mentioned earlier. Got two cute little Nux overdrives (Brown and Tubeman) going into it, still got to get a "summoning demons" kind of distortion pedal with bypass becuz the sound is too sweet and noble for songs of E-vile Force. Haven't got the Boss Mini going through a PA or other big system yet, but the little speaker it does have is exactly right for practicing (singing without mic when practicing, and not too loud for playing with unamplified Oud). It was a steal at 107 Euros (with cash discount), and even walking with my cane I can carry my whole guitar rig with one gig bag and one school backpack, so that is a huge plus. The "Crunch" setting on the amp takes you into a more 1980's kind of sound and the clean is, well, pretty clean but no added tasty silvery sweetness or anything like you get on say, a Fender

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Sneaky amps and PC editor are the only way to get nice sounds out of it imho. I put Creamback neo into combo and it sounds much better imho. Less stiff and less honky.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the 100w combo. Dumb question, can I plug thi into a 4x12 cab the way it is stock or do I need to install the speaker out jack?

Descent

Reaction score
My response...bleh. Tried to like it, I couldn't. I preferred an AC30 that was next to it in Guitar Center through some distortion boxes. The Katana was just lacking...not quite there. For the super low price, maybe worth it, not to me though.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im thinking about using this thing live for its convenience with the footswitch and small-ness. The crowd, and I probably wont care about the sound. As long as I can get some brutal chugs out of it, which I can. Im not picky about cleans or lead solo tone either; a little delay goes a long way. I jist wanna know if i can plug this into a bigger cab the way it is. But that wont make a difference if they mic the combo anyway right?