Why GM Is Killing the Camaro

• Thread starter crimson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

As a Camaro owner and enthusiast, this isn't news to me, but it is an incredible American tragedy. I'm hoping they retire the name completely if they make the shift to being an EV.

Ford is probably really happy to have this spot to themselves as Dodge is also exiting the market.

Anyone else here a muscle car enjoyer?

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish GM made a smaller and lighter car on the Alpha platform. Modern Camaros drive great but due to their size you really can't explore the the platform's limits on a backroad. Mustangs and BMW M3s have the same issue. GM has some of the best chassis engineers in the business right now and I'd love to see what they could do with a BRZ or Miata sized car

It's a shame there's not going to be another generation. If you're looking for a budget track car you can't beat a SS 1LE.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
What a bummer. With that said, Chevy did say "This is not the end of Camaro's story."

Just please don't pull a Ford and make an abomination that is the Mustang Mach-E. I still can't get over them using the Mustang name.

Didn't even make the list...

:lol:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Seems like American car companies really only want to sell pickups anymore. Really really big pickups.

I miss my dad's old Toyota half ton (hilux everywhere but America)

ESPDave

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love muscle cars and have owned a couple of Pontiacs. 69 Firebird and 06 GTO. Sad to see the Camaro go, I did hear somewhere that Pontiac might be coming back with a new Firebird. Don't know if it will be GM or a different manufacturer.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IIRC this is the last revision of the ICE Mustang as well... they're all going away. I still love my '06 GT convertible
Not trying to disrespect, but the last revision of the Mustang looks like dogshit. I don't know what they were doing with the lights. The 2023 was literally fine the way it was.
I love muscle cars and have owned a couple of Pontiacs. 69 Firebird and 06 GTO. Sad to see the Camaro go, I did hear somewhere that Pontiac might be coming back with a new Firebird. Don't know if it will be GM or a different manufacturer.
We will see what that will look like haha.
I wish GM made a smaller and lighter car on the Alpha platform. Modern Camaros drive great but due to their size you really can't explore the the platform's limits on a backroad. Mustangs and BMW M3s have the same issue. GM has some of the best chassis engineers in the business right now and I'd love to see what they could do with a BRZ or Miata sized car

It's a shame there's not going to be another generation. If you're looking for a budget track car you can't beat a SS 1LE.

Not me, far prefer my Miata to anything muscle. Give me light and nimble over brash and huge any day.
Yes - I agree that it would've been nicer if the Camaro was just a little smaller. That LS engine could really do some damage on a lighter car. I agree though, I would've been happy with a BRZ/Miata sized car, my opinion on those cars though is that they're too much for what they offer (imo).
Ford has been trashing the Mustang name for five decades - why stop now?
I disagree.

I think their Terminators and Cobras and run of the mill GT's deserve their spot in history.

Maybe elaborate on why you think the Mustangs have been trashed.
What a bummer. With that said, Chevy did say "This is not the end of Camaro's story."

Just please don't pull a Ford and make an abomination that is the Mustang Mach-E. I still can't get over them using the Mustang name.
Yeah what if they pull the Dodge Daytona (electric) shit. :(

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda sucks that both the Camaro and challengers are leaving the market. 6th gen camaro's while you can't see out of them for shit are great performers. The LT engines definitely make good power. I also agree just kill the name if they try to do the whole EV thing. Hopefully GM will decide to bring it back in a couple of years. Likely won't be v8 powered by that point and some kind of boosted 6 I bet. Which is fine as long as it's fun. It unfortunately leaves a newer ugly mustang available, which is a shame as the last Gen mustang was one of the best looking cars on the road (i had 2 of em). I'd love for GM to do a smaller car in their performance line up. Not sure what name moniker they'd use, Vega at this point is probably a bit of an oddball name wise.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Yes - I agree that it would've been nicer if the Camaro was just a little smaller. That LS engine could really do some damage on a lighter car. I agree though, I would've been happy with a BRZ/Miata sized car, my opinion on those cars though is that they're too much for what they offer (imo).
Definitely not an opinion I share, the Miata is fast enough for its size, and an absolute hoot to throw around turns. Love taking mine to autocross. The engineering that went into making the Miata what it is is evident all over the car, and damn is the ND beautiful. My ND2 RF turns heads a lot more than I ever expected it to.

I'd probably love a Camaro too, but also feel Camaros (V8 powered models anyways) are too much for what they offer. Maybe used market is better but Camaros (and Mustangs and Chargers/Challengers) are pretty expensive. That's also kind of a problem with the whole enthusiast market though, we're really getting taken advantage of nowadays.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like American car companies really only want to sell pickups anymore. Really really big pickups.
Nailed it.

The profit margin on pickup trucks is fucking insane, along with the giant SUVSs. They are treated like gold at the OEM's so nobody is allowed to fuck with their bread and butter. They basically used to pay for the low-to-no-profit small vehicles, especially in the early days of EV's (remember when Sergio asked people not to buy the Fiat 500e because he lost money on each one sold?).

I think there will be room for EV versions of small sedans or performance cars, but the vast majority of the market in NA has been SUVs and trucks, with cross-overs replacing sedans.

Performance cars are a niche market, and I can only imagine how much enthusiasts nitpick and bitch about little details of this forum is any indicator whenever we see a new high-end guitar model (no offense to anyone here). :lol:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
People are poorer too. There might just not be as much of a market for more expensive, less practical cars. Pony cars used to be the performance cars of the people, but "the people" are having a lot harder time buying new cars these days.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely not an opinion I share, the Miata is fast enough for its size, and an absolute hoot to throw around turns. Love taking mine to autocross. The engineering that went into making the Miata what it is is evident all over the car, and damn is the ND beautiful. My ND2 RF turns heads a lot more than I ever expected it to.

I'd probably love a Camaro too, but also feel Camaros (V8 powered models anyways) are too much for what they offer. Maybe used market is better but Camaros (and Mustangs and Chargers/Challengers) are pretty expensive. That's also kind of a problem with the whole enthusiast market though, we're really getting taken advantage of nowadays.
The used market for the last couple of years has been atrocious. I think it comes down to personal preference and as much as I like the MX5, it doesn't jusitfy the $30,000 price point where I would reasonably consider an $75,000 ZL1 that can go toe to toe with exotic cars. But correct, the enthusiast market is actively being exploited right now.

I do like the aesthetics of the Miata though, just not more than the Camaro. The LT1 v8 Camaro is still a great car in my opinion with a LOT of tuning potential. I would consider a new Miata at $22,000 base. The new ones are great.

It's actually really hard to quantify the feeling of 8 cylinders under your steering wheel though in my opinion.

This is neither a Camaro nor a Miata, but what I was talking about for tuning potential.

People are poorer too. There might just not be as much of a market for more expensive, less practical cars. Pony cars used to be the performance cars of the people, but "the people" are having a lot harder time buying new cars these days.
Yes, they would be more reasonable at $25-30,000, however, these pony cars are competing upwards with european imports and that makes them relatively sane.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
I traded an Audi S3, a MUCH faster car, for my Miata. Worth it. I've also had V8 powered cars, I'm even building a V8 powered E30, but pushing the limits of a V8 powered car is a lot more difficult and dangerous than a smaller 4 cylinder car, where the limits are less likely to get you killed. My Miata was well worth the $32k I paid for it.