Why Modern Bands Doesn't Use Any Song Structure?

• Thread starter Akkush
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Karmaic

Reaction score
Once you start writing music for the sole purpose of pleasing a specific audience, or the widest audience possible there's almost no art left to it. I don't care about selling out, its more like buying in. But if we're looking at a technical death metal band and complaining that it doesn't have a "structure" or a "hook" like its a pop song you're comparing apples to sports cars and its not a useful conversation. I'd rather do whatever the fuck I want with my guitar and have my 15 hardcore fans show up than start worrying about what everyone else is wanting to hear.

My point is, any band that is succesful on a large scale, has a basic structure to their songs. There are a few bands that made it without "structure". Its not all just random noise. And isnt success what we're all after since the moment we picked up a guitar? We've all dreamed about playing soldout arenas. "I only want to play in my garage for 15 hardcore fans.." said no guitarist ever. Every guitarist can pump out some chromatic gibberish. But when writing actual music, they go to the basic structure. It has a history of success. Less is more. "If its not broke, dont fix it" applies to writing good music.

And if a tech death metal band threw in a couple repetitive hooky riffs I wouldnt tar and feather them.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn good read... but who cares?

If you don't like unstructural chaos, don't listen to it... if you like it, also cool.

There is no good or bad. Is some thing no music if it doesn't follow some rules?
I think thats bullshit, but than again ok it's no music, yeah so what if it sounds nice :agreed:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
My point is, any band that is succesful on a large scale, has a basic structure to their songs. Its not all just random noise. And isnt success what we're all after since the moment we picked up a guitar? We've all dreamed about playing soldout arenas. "I only want to play in my garage for 15 hardcore fans.." said no guitarist ever.
And then some of us realized we have no passion for mass appeal music and would rather do the cathartic art thing than worry about playing sold out arenas. I would rather shoot my dick off with a nail gun than do something like 5FDP or Disturbed or Papa Roach.

Every guitarist can pump out some chromatic gibberish.
No, they can't actually.

But when writing actual music, they go to the basic structure. It has a history of success. Less is more. "If its not broke, dont fix it" applies to writing good music.
"Good music" is an entirely subjective thing unless you're referring strictly to financial success, to which I would say millions of people eat at McDonald's and they make arguably some of the shittiest food on the planet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you don't like unstructural chaos, don't listen to it... if you like it, also cool.

There is no good or bad. Is some thing no music if it doesn't follow some rules?
The point of having a discussion is so people can express what they like and dont like and agree or disagree. If everyone had the mentallity you do, there would never be any discussion ever about anything; because, who cares? If you truly didn't care, you would not have posted.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
In order to be music there must be some form for organized sound and/or silence. If it's not purposely organised it is not music it is just sound/noise. Whether we can recognize that structure or not is our own shortcoming if we can't. Music is organized sound and silence. Abstract organized noises and sounds is music, just not traditional or standard.

Last edited:

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
The point of having a discussion is so people can express what they like and dont like and agree or disagree. If everyone had the mentallity you do, there would never be any discussion ever about anything; because, who cares? If you truly didn't care, you would not have posted.

Things as music and other forms of art are up to personal taste. If somebody likes chaotic riffs without any structure, thats cool, and if someone likes structured music with (according to western standards) nice harmonic parts thats also cool. You can't really have a discussion about that, cause in the end everyone likes what he likes.

You can have discussions about plenty of things, but discussions about taste are (in mine opinion) pointless.

The reason i posted it is that i was surprised how serious people take this kind of things :shrug:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Things as music and other forms of art are up to personal taste. If somebody likes chaotic riffs without any structure, thats cool, and if someone likes structured music with (according to western standards) nice harmonic parts thats also cool. You can't really have a discussion about that, cause in the end everyone likes what he likes.

You can have discussions about plenty of things, but discussions about taste are (in mine opinion) pointless.

The reason i posted it is that i was surprised how serious people take this kind of things :shrug:
So questions like
Whats your favorite neck shape?
What size strings do you prefer for 25.5?
What pickup do you think goes best with this?
Which amp has the best cleans?
Do you prefer big booty or little booty?

These kind if "preference" questions should never ever be discussed and talked about? Haha

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
So questions like
Whats your favorite neck shape?
What size strings do you prefer for 25.5?
What pickup do you think goes best with this?
Which amp has the best cleans?
Do you prefer big booty or little booty?

These kind if "preference" questions should never ever be discussed and talked about? Haha

Yeah you kind talk about those things, off course.

Whats your favourite neck shape for instance: I don't like the typical ibby wizzard neck that much, i prefer some thing more round. I can explain why etc. And maybe you have an other opinion. So you say hell i love a wizzard, and explains why. So we both know each other neck shape... and thats it. Done and over.

So yeah you can talk about those things, you can advise people (stringsize vs tension vs sound etc.) You can say that you hate the cleans of AMPX with reason, and someone can say he loves the cleans of AMPX of whatever reason, and thats fun, you learn something from it etc.

I am just surprised how serious people can be upset or discuss the taste of an other. I love music, and take it very serious however i love the things i love, if someone does not like the music i love, no problem. And if someone loves the music i hate, thats also no problem :cheers:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am just surprised how serious people can be upset or discuss the taste of an other. I love music, and take it very serious however i love the things i love, if someone does not like the music i love, no problem. And if someone loves the music i hate, thats also no problem :cheers:

I fully understand what you mean. :cheers:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It's not about big or little booty for me, but more so the shape and firmness of the booty. : )

Karmaic

Reaction score
And then some of us realized we have no passion for mass appeal music and would rather do the cathartic art thing than worry about playing sold out arenas. I would rather shoot my dick off with a nail gun than do something like 5FDP or Disturbed or Papa Roach.

No, they can't actually.

"Good music" is an entirely subjective thing unless you're referring strictly to financial success, to which I would say millions of people eat at McDonald's and they make arguably some of the shittiest food on the planet.

If a rock/metal guitarist cant throw down some sort of chromatic riff, they should probably switch genres. Also, whats wrong with 5FDP? They have some pretty nice riffs and a few badass solos that is actually enjoyable to listen to for a change. 90% of solos sound like pure garbage now days. Jekyll and Hyde was pretty good.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
To Structure or not to Structure?
You be the judge... 1.4m views in 1 week sorta shows that simple song structure isn’t everything

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
To Structure or not to Structure?
You be the judge... 1.4m views in 1 week sorta shows that simple song structure isn’t everything

I think Poppy has been eating or smoking poppy's : ) I like it. It's a simple structure just very contrasting. Guitars sound like a synth to me for some reason.

Aumann

Reaction score
Honestly, i know of no band that has no structure in their songs, and i listen to a lot of music. Some have more complex structures, some less, some have very gradual transitions, some very sudden.

Any examples of these modern bands that apparently have no structure?

Ilia Tilev

Reaction score
I don't follow any structure and i love it.. I don't know.. Maybe because people are bored with the same Verse Chorus Verse thing and they get bored