Why should I?

• Thread starter pFrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pFrog

Reaction score
So, I went to the local guitar store to buy my first seven string (Shecter C-7 Diamond used) and when I asked the guy about it he told me to just get a six string because a seven is not worth it, e even offered me a very nice Les Paul copy that was much lower in price. I told him I would sit on it. So I ask, what makes a 7-string so much better than a 6-string besides the fact that it is just plain badass. Specifically, what can you do in music that you can not with a 6-string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Van

Banned
Reaction score
^
agreed, there's nothing you can do on a six that you can't on a 7. If you're interested in 7's I really suggest you get one, my guitar teacher said basically the same thing as that GC guy so I ended up getting another 6 string and I as sorry I did

wemedge

Reaction score
Hiya:

A seven-string isn't necesarily "better" than a six. It's just different applications, in my opinion.

I am primarily a seven-string player. I use mine with a low A. The seventh string lets me grab certain chords easier, i.e., they cluster nicely. Also it provides a rich bass note on some chords. So, yes, for me it can do some things that a six cannot, or cannot do easily.

Whether it's worth it or not to you, will be based on what you perceive your needs to be, not what the salesman, or anyone else (including me) says.

good luck with the purchase whether it be a six or seven.

btw, I think the Schecter c-7 diamond series is a nice guitar. just bought one myself.

Don't know about "badass", though. No matter what I use I can't seem to achieve "badassedness" . ha.

pFrog

Reaction score
Thanks you guys, just to clarify, I play mostly shred-like metal, more single notes than chords. Does that change anything?

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
With a seven-string tuned standard you get five extra notes lower than E. The difference isn't much, but some people (including me) really like those notes, but we aren't willing to sacrifice our high E string for them.

If you do a lot of lead playing, but also want to tune low, then a sevenstring should work perfectly. Also, never listen to people who work in music shops. Some of the guys there are very knowledgeable but most are missing links in my experience.

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
With a seven-string tuned standard you get five extra notes lower than E. The difference isn't much, but some people (including me) really like those notes, but we aren't willing to sacrifice our high E string for them.

If you do a lot of lead playing, but also want to tune low, then a sevenstring should work perfectly. Also, never listen to people who work in music shops. Some of the guys there are very knowledgeable but most are missing links in my experience.

^ this completely
(they can also be all around douchebags that make you not want to shop there XD)

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think I'd be very customer-friendly if I had to listen to the deathcore kiddies and the 3 same tired blues licks every day

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
true, but when you ask for some help, like for a cable or something and he says one secound and starts talking to one of his friends thats got his amp up loud enough to hear on the other side of the store,plus some, its really irritating to me.