Will a .090 fit through a string through on an 8 string with a hipshot?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Just bought an ESP SC-608b and I plan on putting a 9-80 set on. Ive been itching to try a .090 for years though and I was wondering if it will fit through the body, I'm not worried about the tuners since I'm pretty sure they come tapered.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hipshot's diagrams say that the string through hole is ~.156", so a .090" string should be able to get through, though the angle might make the string sit a little weird until under full tension.

Though, it depends on if they drilled out the body to diameter of the bridge.

I owned a first or second year SC608B and had trouble getting an .085' through wood, it worked, but took some pushing and pulling. If I'd gone bigger I would have just drilled it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that short guy

Reaction score
I can tell you that a hipshot will take a .090 with no issue (I use one on my 8) but like max said the body might not be able to without a little drilling first. I didn't need too with my DC800 but I have no idea if your SC model will. If memory serves right steph uses a really light guage so you might need to do a little drilling because he never even comes close to that issue

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Try labella strings. They use tapers on both ends. From .80 on up.

Latest posts