Wind instruments in metal

• Thread starter octatoan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Came here to post Ihsahn. Did not leave disappointed.

stevexc

Reaction score

Jorgen Munkeby's band - he's the guy that usually plays sax for Ihsahn.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Enslaved gets a lot of that flute action... isn't it Queen of Night? I also know they've got a bit in Roots of the Mountain

Also Behemoth is the kings of epic trumpeting

Neurosis got them bagpipes

stevexc

Reaction score
There's a lot of folk metal with bagpipes and similar too - Metsatoll, Eluveitie, Suidakra all spring to mind.

Also the most metal non-metal band out there, Corvus Corax:

Bonus metal song by them:

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
jethro-tull-flute-260x300.jpg

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
This song is so God damn America it gives me eaglebumps.

It's not my favorite song on the album, but the horn stabs in this song might be my favorite moment.

ferret

Reaction score
Came here to say Eluveitie :) Already said. Lots of instruments, including hurdy gurdy. :)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
This song is so God damn America it gives me eaglebumps.

It's not my favorite song on the album, but the horn stabs in this song might be my favorite moment.

It is my favorite Emperor song. I saw them play it at the '06 reunion tour and when it comes back so heavy from the string instrument atmosphere section it exploded the entire stage and we all died i am dead

wankerness

Reaction score
maudlin of the Well - Stones of October's Sobbing: http://youtu.be/c4cWwwVtf1s

Great example, several songs from those albums have wind instruments on them but that one has the densest use I think. Girl with a Watering Can and Blue Ghost/Shedding Qliphoth are also great ones, though less "metal."

Beyond Dawn is a fairly obscure doom band that used trombone prevalently. They had some really gorgeous songs, this was one of the better ones. The way they use it at 1:30 in particular is so atmospheric and despairing. This feel is aided by the fact the guy's not very good at it :D

Shining is the other big one I'd post, but someone beat me to it! A lot of other bands use them very badly as a sort of gimmick. Ex Amorphis, or:

(This album did have a few tracks that used it much better, particularly "Praha")

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Great example, several songs from those albums have wind instruments on them but that one has the densest use I think. Girl with a Watering Can and Blue Ghost/Shedding Qliphoth are also great ones, though less "metal."

Beyond Dawn is a fairly obscure doom band that used trombone prevalently. They had some really gorgeous songs, this was one of the better ones. The way they use it at 1:30 in particular is so atmospheric and despairing. This feel is aided by the fact the guy's not very good at it :D

Wow, that's nice.

Kobalt

Reaction score
I'd say Equilibrium has a lot of flute in it, but it's insanely layered with a million other folk instruments along with guitars and everything else.

Incredible band though. :metal:

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
Blood Ceremony
The Devil's Blood