Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Time II cover is Cameron Gray's artwork, booklet and package cover is by Gyula Havancsák... and these are definetly the cheesy pseudo-east-asian-samurai-fantasy-type of thing, Jari has been watching too much action fantasy movies which were made in Hong Kong :lol: Though it's fully expected and acceptable if you listen to a band called Wintersun. There is really no fun in always proving somehow how "adult" and "grown up" or "people of taste" you are.

Mix will be GYYD because it has THE RIGHT SOUND. I can't wait to have TIME PACKAGE and all those cheesy images on my screen in 5K resolution.

Well, some of these guys mostly listen to Winger and other bands who looked like group of hookers in the 80's, so there's that. I see this combination in this sub genre of metal just as it's own stylistical choice which somehow combines into this thematic setting or ambience. It lives in it's own compartment just like any other niche. In the end if all this artistic nonsense somehow ties with the music I'm hearing it's all good to me, and to be honest I always tend to concentrate more to the musical side of things.
You've had a lot of weird alt-reality takes in this thread, but if you start talking shit about Winger we're gonna have serious problems, pal. I might even put it on your permanent record! YOUR PERMANENT! RECORD!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Honestly if ever there was a post that was going to convince me you actually are Jari, this might be the one. You have an answer for everything, you know what movies he's watching, you even type things using unnecessary ALL CAPS like he does.

If you're not Jari, your obsession with the band might be unhealthy.

Maybe he just watched Kung-Fu Panda? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And who wasn't using ALL CAPS???

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Time II - Tokyo Drift.

Finally. I’m here for it. Now it just needs to live up to 20 years of hype. Which will be nooooo problem-o. Surely.

Metropolis

Reaction score

When listening to music it's quite obvious, you don't really have other things in mind if that's intention. But it seems no one didn't get what I meant with those nuances or anything about image of a band, or certain kind of genre and themes they might have.

Everyone, until you started doing it, at conveniently the same time that Jari started doing it.

Everyone started doing it ironically in different situations or with certain words just after Jari started doing it. And it's been years, probably since the first crowdfunding or at least couple of years after that.

Dayn

Reaction score
Is that artwork real? Mallninja vibe.

*I kind of like it in the same way I like Stratovarius art with dolphins. Reminds me of the colorful sticker packs you could buy at Ames back in the day.
I need to put my Stratovarius library on again.

The cover to Infinite is amazing. I only just realised the planet on the top right looks like the Twilight Time cover.

Strato_Infinite2.jpg

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I need to put my Stratovarius library on again.

The cover to Infinite is amazing. I only just realised the planet on the top right looks like the Twilight Time cover.

View attachment 138501

Yesss, that's the one. Got a t shirt of that bad boy I still wear to this day despite not wearing band shirts much anymore.

I never noticed the twilight time easter egg!

dax21

Reaction score
I feel like I was taken for a slick PR ride watching this video.

Why even bother with indiegogo if you end with less than half of whatever you raise in the campaign?
Why even bother wasting so much money on a "semi-studio" if that studio isn't good for future recordings? You are telling me that you paid ~300k including heavy bank loans to build a studio solely to release one single album? What was the logic, let alone the business plan for such an endeavor? Asuming that this campaign matches the previous one (extremely unlikely), you are still not breaking even and THEN you have to start from scratch with gathering the funds for the real studio.

This guy is as delusional as he was 20 years ago.

mehegama

Reaction score
Is he trying to rewrite history? Now the crowdfunding became "crowdfunding"? when it was clear that people gave him money, with the main reason being him finishing the Time II album. Who in their right mind would give 50 euros just for the shitty forest album, is he for real?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'll give the guy props for at least trying to be properly communicative this time. He's still an awful communicator, and his plans are still nonsense, and he still doesn't seem to understand why using indiegogo makes no sense when he could have just used a plain web-store and avoided all the nonsense that comes with it, and the insistence on owning some ultimate high end studio (while using the money that was supposed to be for that purpose on other things and intermediary "half studios") in a day and age where bedroom producers using consumer-level gear can put out world class albums, and refusing to bring in outside talent to help solve his very obvious solvable self-inflicted problems - it's all still profoundly stupid - but hey, it's a step.... in some direction. Maybe not the right direction, but in some direction.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Well, the intention of the 2017 "crowdfunding" was to produce a studio to finish Time II, and... that's exactly what happened? Well, good for him. Yeah his plan is still completely ridiculous but at least he has now basically done what he promised with that 2017 campaign.
I just don't get why he hasn't posted anything about this studio he bought and the vocal booth etc. Or maybe he did but it's all buried deep behind the paywalls of Patreon :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I just don't get why he hasn't posted anything
I imagine he's well aware that it would open him up to more criticism.
"Well, it's not THE studio, but it is A studio, so shut up h8ers."
In the same way that for years it's been "Well, it's not THE album, but it's an album, so shut up h8ers."

I don't even think that crowdfunding to open a new studio is a bad idea in and of itself - it's just the harebrained details and awful communication and business sense that came along with it.

"I want to open a world-class studio, help me crowdfund my dream" makes sense. "I can't mix my masterpiece without a worldclass studio, so pre-order the album through a crowdfunding platform so that I can make said impossible masterpiece without that studio, and then I'll crowdfund for more money to maybe build that studio next time."

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Anybody crowdfunding for any amount north of 10K better have a really good accountant on-board, or have the financial planning skills to not come off like a teenager with his first checkbook to those who handed their money over for a promise.

Out of curiosity I started poking through closed indiegogo and kickstarter campaigns for creative output (albums/books/movies) and there are a TON of them out there that hit like a creative type that has zero support network around them, and zero friends to tell them, "Um, hey, bro? You may wanna re-think that, or at least hire somebody competent to run it." Believe me, us creatives with no support networks recognize our own.

Jari, for some reason, succeeded. Probably because he had a release that was pretty decent at one time that convinced people he could keep it going with a decent amount of backing. It's too bad he didn't have somebody along for the ride that could help guide the ship when he was repeatedly smashing it into the shoreline over the years.