Wiring help with Fishman Fluence Classic 7

Edika

Reaction score
Hey all, so I got these for a set of these for a good price and it came with all the wires and pots. From my understanding, the guy who sold them to me, had bought the moderns and just took the Classics out and put them in the box. I put it in a one volume, one tone guitar with the 5 way mega switch so I followed this wiring diagram:
1710260763698.png

One thing I noticed is that the connection for the second voice has an additional wire between the blue/green and yellow/orange that I have not soldered in. On the circuit board it says ground. Now there's no additional noise but when I turn my volume pot all the way down, I only get some volume/gain decrease but it doesn't turn all the way off. I'm thinking if that might be the culprit. Pickups are grounded from the main voice. Aside from that everything else works (almost as I was getting some cutouts from the bridge pickup so I have to revisit the soldering on that). So to people that have soldered in Fishmans, could that be the issue or is it a case of a faulty pot?

I'll try and get some photos in but I haven't trimmed the wires and it'll be kind of a rats nest situation lol!

Edika

Reaction score
Reading up a bit about it seems like I might not have grounded the volume pot properly. I have to find some time now to recheck the grounding connections.

kriff

Reaction score
Reading up a bit about it seems like I might not have grounded the volume pot properly. I have to find some time now to recheck the grounding connections.
I've got some Fishman wiring to do in the near future so even though I've nothing to contribute I'm following this thread! Keep us posted :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
It was not the additional wires to blame. It seems the pots Fishman provides are not really robust. Truth be told, I struggled on some of the connections and managed to overheat the central lug for the output. So I removed the pot and resoldered everything to a new one and the ground lug is causing me issues now. I didn't want to bend it and solder it on the casing, so I connected a wire that I soldered to the casing. Everything worked foe a minute, then sound was coming out at the zero point. Resoldered it again, same thing. After a couple of minutes it was the same. I've tried one last time, I'll leave it over night, as I've had enough, and if that doesn't work, I'll remove the wire and bend the lug. Seems the additional wires are not needed after all.

I know I'm not the best at soldering but I've had some practice. It's the first time I managed to damage a pot. While I was in there, I moved the orange and green wire to the top position of the push pull pot. That gave me voice 2 when the pot is pushed and voice 1 when the pot is pulled. The PAF is nice but has a somewhat single coily sound. The Hot Rod adds a bit more bass than I'd like and is not as tight but it has more output amd sounds like a humbucker more. I could have left it like that but I prefer to have the voice I'll use the most on the push position and having the pot sticking out all the time.