[Wiring] Humbucker sounds like single coil

• Thread starter angl2k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angl2k

Reaction score
So I just installed a set of Dimarzio PAF7's in my guitar with a volume, tone and 3 way switch and I thought I had everything wired correctly.

The neck humbucker sounds fine but when I switch to the bridge position I get a (minor) amount of hum and the sound is very trebly, almost like a single coil. Neck+Bridge also has this weird sound going on and also with more hum. So I guess it must be a wiring error but before I rewire the entire setup I want to ask if anyone knows what's going on here and how to fix it with the minimal amount of rewiring possible :)

This is the wiring diagram I used

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1v1t_3wtoggle.pdf

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Probably best to put a photo or two up of what you've done.
Sometimes it's just poor soldering, even though you've done the right 'on paper' thing.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
when in the bridge position, tap each set of polepieces with a screwdriver. that'll let you know if they are both hot if you can clearly hear each one. if you're getting hum, it'd lend itself towards one of the coils having an issue connecting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.